• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 10:01 PM

My Z482 in my bolens is becoming more dependent on 2 battery's When it is cold Under 15 Degrees Celcius in the morning and I am thinking of upgrading the starter to a Gear reduction version 

• Cvans, JRJ and gunnoyl have said thanks

#17 Cvans ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,321 Thanks
  • 4,915 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 11:08 PM

My Z482 in my bolens is becoming more dependent on 2 battery's

Check to make sure both glow plugs are working. It'll start with one but it's a lot harder.

• JRJ and gunnoyl have said thanks

#18 gunnoyl OFFLINE  

• Member No: 48028
  • 12 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 04:52 PM

Learning more on the G4200 everyday...lol. I know about the dash indicator, however, I have a friend that has a diesel shop and he says to visually verify that the glow plugs are heating up inside the head, because the dash element may be weak or not working. I removed the injectors and I could see the plugs glowing bright as Christmas lights. I also manipulated the fuel plumbing as to hook the injectors outside of the head to see the spray patterns, and #1 looked different than #2. I now have them at said friend's shop so he can "pop" test them. Kubota says 1990-2150 psi. One thing at a time (or after another). After explaining symptoms, and everything I have done thus far, he says it sounds like an injector problem. So now waiting to hear back from him, and preparing myself to purchase a set of injectors.

• JRJ said thank you

#19 olcowhand ONLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,214 Thanks
  • 29,686 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 04:57 PM

If the glow plugs aren't working or barely working, then the indicator will not glow bright red, as too little or no current will be drawn.  The injectors can cause a lot of issues, so you're on the right path there.

• JRJ said thank you

#20 braxx OFFLINE  

• Member No: 7898
  • 20 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 06:12 PM

I don't have anything new to add except that I have had 2 diesel compact tractors. One only required 30-40 seconds of glow plug warming to start in any thing below 50deg. My other one REQUIRED at least 60 seconds at 35ish to 50deg. Below freezing and it required a good 90 seconds of glow plug heating.

Sent from my S3 now Free

• JRJ said thank you

#21 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

• Member No: 11834
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted October 30, 2013 - 02:50 PM

Gear reduction starter will make it spin over super fast and start it so easily. You have to get one off of a bigger motor like a d1105

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Cvans and JRJ have said thanks