• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 gunnoyl OFFLINE  

gunnoyl
  • Member No: 48028
  • 12 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 07:15 PM

I aquired a Kubota G4200 tractor with a 2cyl Z430 diesel recently, and it has been hard to start. It will crank seemingly alright, I think somewhat slow, but it puffs out some black and gray smoke, then when I let off the key, it"ll stroke a couple of times and then die. After doing this a few (like 8) times it'll "blub blub blub blub blub" then run and idle just fine. If I leave to sit for a little while, it'll start right back up (seemingly a little much cranking) but, it will start right back up. If I leave it overnight, right back to the beginning, playing the starting game. I have a used 500 cca battery in it which holds load, I put new filters in it, and yes, the one behind the right rear wheel, also. I've both electrically (ohms) and physically (with a battery charger) checked the glow plugs, and they get smoking hot in 15 secs, and I held them to 30, no falter. I am new to this and would really appreciate some USEFUL help. I am very mechanically orientated, so I'm quite sure the new fuel, filters, bleeding the injectors, and the such, isn't the obvious fix. Thank you to anyone who has a tidbit of knowledge to pass on.

• boyscout862, Dieselcubmike and JRJ have said thanks

#2 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 07:18 PM

Common for this engine, and hopefully the case for you.  Their OE starters just don't have enough power or speed to crank them.  There are newer type starters that will really zing these engines over & cures the starting woes.  I had a G4200 & it was the same way about starting when cold.  I can't remember for sure what starter fits it, but I'll do some digging & get back with you.

• Texas Deere and Horse, JRJ and gunnoyl have said thanks

#3 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 07:30 PM

I had that info saved on my computer that crashed it's hard drive, so I have lost it.  The starter that would fit was a high output type meant for another engine, but that's all I can remember.  Maybe someone else will know & chime in.  Your slow cranking speed is likely the only real issue.  I figure you've already went through all your cables & connections to be sure all is good there.

• JRJ and gunnoyl have said thanks

#4 gunnoyl OFFLINE  

gunnoyl
  • 12 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 07:44 PM

Yeah, I was told this and had the starter rebuilt by the guys that do my heavy equip. When I got the tractor, the starter was bad, figured it was because the person had a 240 cca in it with a battery charger, figured it was too much, you know, kinda smoked it due to overload. Before I had the guys do the starter, I picked their brains to see about beefing or "uping" the starter, they said there is only so much you can do, and that's how I got the higher cca input, which made sense seeing as how it' a diesel

• JRJ said thank you

#5 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 07:44 PM

Your slow cranking speed is likely the only real issue.  I figure you've already went through all your cables & connections to be sure all is good there.

Yep, been there done that, talk about driving you crazy :wallbanging:

P.S. My E350 diesel is good for about three years between starters, I got real good changing them out :D

#6 gunnoyl OFFLINE  

gunnoyl
  • 12 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 07:51 PM

yeah, I went throught he cables. I ohmed them out to make sure there are no opens, although they seema little small for the task, I am new to the tractor dept..lol. They seem to be factory, I would say around 8ga? on the ground, perhaps a little larger on the power.

• JRJ said thank you

#7 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,486 Thanks
  • 5,014 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 08:05 PM

I just use the largest battery I can fit into the space and make sure the connections are good. Other than using the glow plugs ( 1 minute minimum) it starts right up.  :D

#8 gunnoyl OFFLINE  

gunnoyl
  • 12 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 08:13 PM

You really use the glow plugs like that?? Again I don't know. I will try, and see what happens. Thanks for the input, do you have any info on rebuidling the injectors, or the injector pump. Any specs, something I can use?

• JRJ said thank you

#9 gunnoyl OFFLINE  

gunnoyl
  • 12 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 08:21 PM

simple question to who can answer....."How long do you engage a glow plug"...........

• JRJ said thank you

#10 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 08:45 PM

On the G4200, the dash has a glowplug indicator.  It is simply a coiled wire down in there, and you engage it until you see it glow good & red.  The colder the temps, the longer it will take.

#11 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,727 Thanks
  • 8,908 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 08:46 PM

I have a Mitsubishi 2 cylinder 15 hp diesel. When cold, I cycle the glow plugs twice. 30 seconds first, 10 second pause, then another 20 or so.

image.jpg

#12 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,486 Thanks
  • 5,014 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 09:20 PM

For cold starts it really depends on the outside temperature. If it is 80 or above, 30 seconds should be enough. 60 to 80 about 1 minute and so forth. It also depends on your engines and the batteries condition. Don't be afraid to use the glow plugs and when you get the feel for your tractor you'll know how long to use them. It has been my experience that these older Kubota diesels will not start without them. I know a guy who hated using glow plugs. Why? Your not going to burn them up and they are there for a reason. Sometimes I get lazy about how long I leave them on and then I have to do it twice.  :wallbanging:

#13 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 09:21 PM

At it's coldest around here last winter I only had to run my glow plugs around 40 seconds. If it's warm I'll hit them for about 10-15 seconds.

Just for the sake of trying, why don't you run yours for 45-60 seconds and see what difference it makes.

I actually made a video of my starting mine to show how fast it the starter spins. My engine is a Z500 on a Kubota B5100. I'll see if I can find it.

edit: found the vid.

http://www.youtube.c...er_embedded#t=0

Edited by twostep, October 07, 2013 - 09:23 PM.

#14 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 09:40 PM

I don't know if you can do it on the Kubota, but on our oldest wore out Hyster forklift we even keep the glow plugs lit for a minute or 2  when it first fires off.

#15 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 09:48 PM

I'm not sure on the G's but on mine you have to turn the key backwards to warm up the glow plugs. Of course if you wanted to rig up a momentary switch I guess you could.