#1 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted December 08, 2010 - 10:28 PM

I noticed a oil leak under the tractor after running it [it's gear oil] I narrowed it down to the sitting on the tractor the left side of the BGB seal was leaking oil. Here's the thing the PO had said he had rebuilt the BGB just before the motor went.Anyway it's leaking oil from that side.I took just that side apart and took the seal out measured the shaft,and bore in the case and ordered a new seal.I put the new seal in today and after running just a short while it's still leaking.I had assumed the other seal had maybe been cut while being pushed along the shaft due to the two grooves in the shaft.I taped the shaft before pushing the new seal into place[used grease as well] anyway it still leaks.I'll have to take a better look this time maybe have to pull it out and take it apart to make sure it's put together properly.I say this because for some reason he had 3 shims just ratteling around on the shaft on this side.The shims are supposed to be on the other side???? so another thing looking into the side of the case at the needle brg it almost looks like its not pushed far enough into the case as it seems to stick out towards the seal way too far.I suspect that the seal has bottomed out against the brg causing it to fail.So just wondering if anyone knows if that needle brg has to be pushed all the way into the shoulder were it fits.In another words how far should that needle brg go into the case.This one is sitting out into where the seal fits.Just thougth I'd ask to see if anyone knows how far that needle brg should be in.Larry

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted December 08, 2010 - 11:10 PM

It was a while ago, but the shaft goes in further than you think. My memory is that the pulley on the PTO side is the stop. Does yours have the variable pulley on the RHS?
BTW, I looked at the registry & didn't see it. What's the model?

#3 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted December 09, 2010 - 07:40 AM

The shaft runs right through.The one side has the pulley that drives the hydro pump ,and the other side has the pto clutch mounted onto it ,thats the side thats leaking.Amyway after pushing the seal in yesterday,it just didn't look right.It's almost as if it's bellied out right where it makes contact with the shaft.I know that the outer lip of the seal should be sitting against the shaft but for some reason it seems to be like its not??? Thats why I suspect that the backside of the seal has made contact with the needle brg and has distorted the seal.Guess I'll have to pull the seal[buy another one] and see if I can push the needle brg in any further.My mistake in not checking that out before installing that seal.The worst part is that when I found these extra shims just ratteling around loose on the outside of the case,alarm bells went off and I was going to dig into it deeper but,kinda convinced myself that it could be ok and he just put these on this side for safe keeping.So now its got me to thinking that because the brg seems to stick to far this way that maybe he's put the shims between the bevel gear and the needle brg and thats why the brg is sitting too far out.Looks like the only thing I can do is pull the bevel gear box out and take it apart as there's something not right.It's just a gut feeling that its put together wrong ,and I won't feel good about it now unless I pull it apart and check it out.Larry

#4 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted January 01, 2011 - 04:54 PM

BGB finally got the oil leaked fixed.I finally had a bit of free time today so I decided to see if I could figure out why the new seal was leaking.Off course I had to pull the seal in order to see if I could figure it out.I had bougth another seal a couple weeks ago.Anyway after getting to seal out I measured the depth into the case where the seal sits.It's 1/4" deep.I measured the seal and its 1/4" thick.Now I measured the needle brg and it was sticking out into the seals place by 1/16" :rolleyes:.So Thats what was making the seal distort and leak.I was able to drive the needle brg deeper into the case.I actually drove it in about .025 in deeper then the shoulder where the seal bottoms out.Put the new seal in,put everything back together topped up the gear oil and tried it out no more leak.:laughingteeth: Larry

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted January 01, 2011 - 05:05 PM

FANtastic!!! Glad you got the leak fixed.

Did you happen to take any pictures? Yours sounds a little different than mine.

#6 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted January 01, 2011 - 05:55 PM

Glad you got it fixed Larry! Oil leaks of any kind are an irritation to me!

#7 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted January 01, 2011 - 06:08 PM

These are pics of it apart i didn't pull it completely out just removed the clutch and plate off the one side to give me access.Larry

Attached Thumbnails

• gear box seal 1.jpg
  • gear box seal 2 (Small).jpg