Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Pros And Cons For Using Snow Shoes On Snow Blade?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 york0060 OFFLINE  

york0060

• Contributor
  • Member No: 748
  • 275 Thanks
  • 141 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 01:48 PM

I recently bought a 4-way blade for my John Deere 318, it did not come with the snow shoes (or Skid Shoes). i found and bought some on Ebay.  After trying to find out some information on them, i read that a lot of people do not like to use them.  I will be using them on a limestone gravel drive and my neighbors paved drive. Should I use them or leave them off? Thanks for your input.

• boyscout862 and JRJ have said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,320 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 01:52 PM

I know on several of the blades I used over the years, it made the blade ride up over the snow. Three things I found help.

1 make the shoes narrow.
2. Make sure the angle(tip) of the blade is correct
3. Get the blade as close as you think you can and get clearance on the surfaces you'll be plowing
  • york0060 and JRJ have said thanks

#3 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 01:55 PM

I believe that the shoes are designed to keep the blade up a little and eliminate (or at least reduce)the amount of limestone that you take with the blade.  I use them and still take a good amount of stone with me, especially when you are dealing with a wet, sticky snow.  I think I may grab less than if I didn't have the shoes on the blade.  once the ground is frozen and you have a good pack on the driveway, then a blade without shoes can't be beat for a good clean job.  Whether you use the shoes or not, you must take care until you have that pack.

Edited by David Brown, October 07, 2013 - 01:56 PM.

• york0060, MH81, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#4 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,629 Thanks
  • 3,921 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 02:32 PM

You will need the skids on the gravel or when the snow melts you get the not-so-fun task of raking all the gravel out of the grass.  The shoes will still move some gravel, but nothing like you will disturb without them.  Take them off when you blade the pavement and you will get a much better result.  Doing the best job possible is always a good thing but in all honesty,  a half inch of snow left behind, especially on gravel will still allow a car to navigate the driveway.   Best of luck! 

• york0060 said thank you

#5 1971Deere OFFLINE  

1971Deere

• Member No: 1289
  • 48 Thanks
  • 66 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 02:43 PM

On concrete, I use the skids to keep the blade from dropping into the expansion joints. I also like to use a rubber edge to prevent concrete damage.

Attached Thumbnails

• PA240006.JPG
  • P2090019.jpg

• york0060 and JD DANNELS have said thanks

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 03:31 PM

On a gravel driveway I couldn't plow without them. I assume you have the J style with the row of holes to adjust the height. I have mounted a set of Polaris round ATV skid shoes on mine to increase the surface area and prevent them from digging in. You'll have to experiment with them but when the ground is soft at the start of winter any blade will have a tendency to dig in. The shoes help but don't eliminate this. Once the ground is frozen it's pretty much set the height once and you are good to go. I've been using a 54 blade on a 300ft gravel driveway since 2005 on 2 different tractors and have never used it without the shoes. 

DSCF7005.jpg

Heres a picture of the 54 blade mounted on my 2320. The blade is really too narrow for this tractor. You can see the skid shoe mod where I added the ATV shoe to the bottom of the JD shoe. I got these at the local Polaris dealer for about 25$. They mount with a 1/2" bolt so I drilled holes in the bottom of the J shaped shoe and bolted them on. I first had this blade on a JD x475 and it's a bit bigger than a 318 but not that much heavier. 

• york0060 said thank you

#7 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 04:20 PM

On concrete, I use the skids to keep the blade from dropping into the expansion joints. I also like to use a rubber edge to prevent concrete damage.

Not much to add to what has aready been said(pretty well covered). I have about 200 ft of concrete/asphalt and 1/4 mile of gravel. I particularly like the idea of taking a strip from a heavy stall mat and making a rubber blade. Just have not yet done so. .

#8 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 07:12 PM

Gravel snow plowing, It sucks plain and simple :bigrofl: :bigrofl: :bigrofl:

But it can be done, like this >> after about 1" or 2 of snow is covering the driveway drive over the snow with just the tires, this base will help bind the gravel which will make it a lot easier, and keep the feet on and up high, or blade will dig in. On the other driveway you will have to lower the feet to get it close as possible to pavement

#9 bgkid2966 ONLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 08:11 PM

I plow a concrete drive and do not use shoes. I do have a fiber impregnated plastic blade under the standard wear blade. I have added about 40 lbs. to the plow and it really helps it get through to the concrete. I do not have any experience with plowing gravel.

Geno