D 2 Cat

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 gopher OFFLINE  

• Member No: 2755
  • 561 Thanks
  • 619 posts

Posted July 20, 2014 - 09:52 PM

Sorry took so long to reply I work 7 days a week doesn't leave as much time as I would like for projects. I did get it home I drained all the nooks and crannies that needed drained. Changed fluids worked on pony motor I can usually get the pony going in 3 or 4 pulls. Things left to do replace the hydraulic hoses on the blade look like original to blade. Seat and fix dent in back of seat tank. The diesel motor purrs like a kitten. I will probably end up selling it but not to be scraped.            

• Alc, Cvans and Buddy have said thanks

#17 Buddy OFFLINE  

• Member No: 45481
  • 147 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted July 21, 2014 - 05:47 PM

I like the way you think Gopher !

I don't take too kindly to scrapping old iron ether, LOL, I guess that is why I got buildings full of stuff.

What neck of the woods are ya in ?

That looks to be a early D2 like maybe a 3J series. I have two D2's here already , one with a angle blade, and the other with a straight blade.    I also have a 933F loader which has pretty much the same bottom as the D2.   Both of my D2's are the 5U series..

Reason I ask what neck of the woods you are in , well maybe, if you aint too far , I might would like to own it if you decide to sell it. :D

#18 gopher OFFLINE  

• Member No: 2755
  • 561 Thanks
  • 619 posts

Posted July 21, 2014 - 10:11 PM

It's a 1946 5J. I am in central IL.

#19 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 831 Thanks
  • 699 posts

Posted November 24, 2015 - 10:46 AM

I know this is old but if you got that d2 and need any schematics or parts I work for caterpillar I can get you whatever you need and parts for cost too

#20 dblover OFFLINE  

• Member No: 73516
  • 266 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted March 07, 2016 - 03:23 PM

I love the little crawlers.  Most folks prefer the skid steers - no costly tracks or sticking brakes and more attachments for the size jobs that the little crawlers do.  They rent/borrow big dozers for heavy work.  This is why little crawlers often sell for scrap prices - track rebuilds make them very $$$.

I have my eye on a IH TD-6 with great sheet metal that the owner has been saying he will restore - been at least 10 yrs and his wife wants it gone.  He turned down my offer of free labor  to help restore it.  Sadly, scrap yard cut off the front dozer assembly before it was saved by the po.  I just need to finish a couple projects of my own/make space before offering him some $$ . . .

Edited by dblover, March 07, 2016 - 03:24 PM.