• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,544 posts

Posted October 09, 2013 - 02:10 AM

My handle is very representative of my thinking. I take "Be Prepared" as a mantra. Have a wood stove(one that you can cook on too) in the lowest room of your house. If your main heat source goes out you have backup. A cord of hard wood gives the same heat as 200 gallons of oil. Even if you pay $200 for a delivered and stacked cord, you will save $800 when you burn it. BTW, you are under 60 so you are still young. Good Luck, Rick

• Alc and MFDAC have said thanks

#17 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,034 Thanks
  • 1,127 posts

Posted October 09, 2013 - 10:13 PM

My handle is very representative of my thinking. I take "Be Prepared" as a mantra. Have a wood stove(one that you can cook on too) in the lowest room of your house. If your main heat source goes out you have backup. A cord of hard wood gives the same heat as 200 gallons of oil. Even if you pay $200 for a delivered and stacked cord, you will save $800 when you burn it. BTW, you are under 60 so you are still young. Good Luck, Rick

Sure appreciate the advice Rick and respect your thinking 100%! Our house is a modular home kinda big for one at 2400 sqft. Total electric. My shop has natural gas. I understand completely that nothing works in a power outage, but I will be fine with the generator and fuel when I can arrange it. Not gonna do a woodstove again. Thank-you also for the heads up on being young! I just got more AARP cards in the mail today and haven't activated any of them yet because I'm in denial about that too!-LOL

Later---DAC
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#18 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 12:07 AM

30% off your glasses at ShopKo with your AARP card. Saved me over $100.00 last time around. 

• MFDAC and boyscout862 have said thanks

#19 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,034 Thanks
  • 1,127 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 10:33 PM

30% off your glasses at ShopKo with your AARP card. Saved me over $100.00 last time around.

Thanks, Chris, I guess that's a little more of an incentive to admit my age!-LOL The newest cards are laying here right beside my shop keyboard but I have done that many times in the past, they just lay there until I throw them in the garbage. They will have to lay there for another week yet as we are leaving in the morning for Denver, CO for our annual visit with my sisters who moved down there many years ago. Weather gurus are saying hard rain and 70 mph winds tomorrow so I hope we get the heck outa here before that! The rains are already coming and going.

Yesterday and today I finally got the pile done but the winds tomorrow will probably have it scattered for miles when we get back! There's plenty of big heavy branches that won't go anywhere in that mess too! Dick is awful dirty and needs washed----oh sorry that is the tractors name, in honor of the guy I got it from, Dick Hansen!

Later---DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• draging branches 002.jpg
  • draging branches 007.jpg

Edited by MFDAC, October 10, 2013 - 10:35 PM.

• MH81 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#20 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,034 Thanks
  • 1,127 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 06:32 PM

Here's one more update then I'm done with this. We were gone for a week got back late Wednesday night. I finally got a couple loads hauled out this afternoon still plenty to go yet, but my chainsaw quit. Gonna have to work on it tonight. Thought maybe the disposal area might be interesting to some of you. This is one of three tree damage disposal sites in Rapid City. There is a large grinder set up that is running constantly but the tree pile keeps getting bigger. Other pics are just loading up for both trips to town today.

Later---DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• Web draging branches 1.jpg
  • Web draging branches 4.jpg
  • Web draging branches 5.jpg
  • Web draging branches 6.jpg
  • Web draging branches 7.jpg
  • Web draging branches 8.jpg
  • Web draging branches 9.jpg
  • Web draging branches 10.jpg
  • Web draging branches 11.jpg

Edited by MFDAC, October 18, 2013 - 06:36 PM.

• IamSherwood, KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#21 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,569 Thanks
  • 3,951 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 08:02 PM

Not too often I get to see a truck of that vintage still working. What year is it? That is quite the pile of branches at the dropoff site.

• MFDAC said thank you

#22 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,034 Thanks
  • 1,127 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 01:07 PM

Not too often I get to see a truck of that vintage still working. What year is it? That is quite the pile of branches at the dropoff site.

The truck is a 1955 GMC. Seems any more when people get one of these old trucks the first thing they do is turn it into a car by putting Camaro or Mustang II steering on the front and tubs with a 4 link in the rear. My trucks stay trucks.

Yeah that is a huge pile and like I said this is one of three disposal areas in town. I think one or two loads is all thats left in our yard but it's rainy today. I have one more day off work tomorrow so if the weather is better I will be finishing it up then.

Later---DAC
  • shorty said thank you

#23 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,544 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 04:32 PM

The truck is a 1955 GMC. Seems any more when people get one of these old trucks the first thing they do is turn it into a car by putting Camaro or Mustang II steering on the front and tubs with a 4 link in the rear. My trucks stay trucks.

Yeah that is a huge pile and like I said this is one of three disposal areas in town. I think one or two loads is all thats left in our yard but it's rainy today. I have one more day off work tomorrow so if the weather is better I will be finishing it up then.

Later---DAC

We have similar taste in trucks. I have a 55 Chevy 3600, 58 GMC 3600, 59 Apache with original 4 wheel drive, and 3 56 6400s. I call them "Frog Faced Chevys" and have had them for over 25 years. You are ahead of me because none of mine are registered any more. Good Luck, Rick

• MFDAC said thank you

#24 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,034 Thanks
  • 1,127 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 08:35 PM

We have similar taste in trucks. I have a 55 Chevy 3600, 58 GMC 3600, 59 Apache with original 4 wheel drive, and 3 56 6400s. I call them "Frog Faced Chevys" and have had them for over 25 years. You are ahead of me because none of mine are registered any more. Good Luck, Rick

Hey Rick,

Very cool trucks you have! Have you posted pics of them here? I collect pics of old trucks, so I would really dig seeing them especially the '58 GMC! Was the 3600 a ton and a half? My '55 is just a 100 series, half ton long box. A co-worker is slowly rebuilding a '57 Chevy ton and a half stake truck. He traded me the original 235 for a V-8 bell housing I have so he can drop a 283 in it. It will be a cool old truck when done!

I have 2 other "old" GMC's that have been in the family much longer than the "Ol' '55" (quoting an old Eagles song") but they are much newer in age. One is a 1970 GMC K5 Jimmy that my Mom bought in 1971 and the other is a 1972 C2500 that my wife and I bought in 1979. Mom drove that Jimmy for 30 years and it is in my shop being refurbished. The '55 has only been in the family since 2009 and I didn't get the title mess cleared up until 2011. It had been abandon since 1997 and badly abused before that, but there was still potential.

I will assume it is OK to hijack your own thread on this site---LOL! Here are cover pics of a couple of big GMC brochures I have in my GMC junk collection. These are for the heavy haulers! "Frog face" describes those old mid to late 50s trucks pretty well!

Later---DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• img001.jpg
  • img002.jpg

Edited by MFDAC, October 20, 2013 - 08:36 PM.

#25 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • Member No: 10588
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted October 25, 2013 - 08:45 AM

Wow!  I just saw this thread. Glad you made it through all that alright.   I just bought an El Cheapo Harbor Freight generator a bout a month ago to hopefully  make it through any power outages this year. I think we're due for a lot of snow this winter here in New England.  I said " El Cheapo " because that seems to be the consensus about HF stuff, but I read all the reviews I could find and it seemed like a good deal to me. That plus I couldn't afford a name brand equivalent to it for anywhere near the price.  I hope you're able to be ready for future storms and can fare better from now on !  

• MFDAC said thank you

#26 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,034 Thanks
  • 1,127 posts

Posted October 26, 2013 - 12:23 AM

Hi Oldtimer, I have no problem with Harbor Freight at all. I would never be able to afford the tools I have if it wasn't for them. Many of the so-called name brand tools out there are made "offshore" too but they charge the customer 3 times the price for the same stuff Harbor Freight sells with different labling.
We are looking at generators from them and Sam's club, will make a purchase soon. The closest HF store is 4 hours away so when we were in Denver last week I spent 96 bucks on basically just a pile of perishable shop supplies and looked at the generators close up. All the HF tools I have the only failure I've had is a $12.99 die grinder that broke right after I got the job done it was purchased for, probably over 4 hours of abuse. I smoked the motor brushes in my 14" chop saw once but I was cutting 3" square tubing with 1/4" walls. The saw came with an extra set of brushes so I put them in and it still runs fine after another 6 or 7 years.

Thanks for the reply, Oldtimer, good luck with your new generator!---DAC

#27 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • Member No: 10588
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 07:32 AM

Hey MFDAC, Thanks for the good luck wish.  I got the biggest generator they have due to it having the electric start.  All reviews said it was easy to pull start, but I didn't want to take a chance of running out of breath trying to get it going in the cold.  My young neighbor came over and pull started it when I first got it and it started right up. I was able to start it too, but figured I'd still get the battery, just in case.  The one problem with it is the battery cables are very short. I was able to get it hooked up, but it took some finagling.  Had to put the battery in backward.Next summer I'll make some longer cables and buy some better post covers for it.  I think their idea was to have the postsway under the genertor so that they'd be more protected from rain or snow.  I just taped the fllimsy ones that are on it and spread vaseline over 'em.  I thought the $529 price was pretty good for 7 Kw running and electric start.  Yeah, I did have to buy the wheel kit -  but that was only an extra $30. 

OH , and I agree with you about the name brands nowadays.  American names with Chinese/ Japanese/ Korea

India, etc. parts.  

• MFDAC said thank you

#28 carlos1980 OFFLINE  

carlos1980
  • Member No: 49067
  • 4 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 05:06 PM

Awesome we will be getting it in the uk soon then ;) I will have to get making a snow plough, hope it will work...

• MFDAC said thank you