#1 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,027 Thanks
  • 1,123 posts

Posted October 06, 2013 - 07:07 PM

We had a pretty tremendous blizzard blast through here Friday and Saturday. 2 to 5feet of snow depending on where in the area you were at, combined with 40-70 mph winds for over 48 hours.I have lots of branches down and was without power the final time for 27 hours. My wife was snowed in at her job up near Mt. Rushmore from Friday morning until about 2 hours ago. They are on generator power and will be for at least a week. Both kids are still pretty much stranded at their homes, daughter in Rapid City and son at college up in Spearfish. They are fine and have power and food! Our damage is very minimal compared to many other folks in the area.

I wasn't very well prepared, as I only had a gallon of gas and the carb was off the MF8E to order a rebuild kit. I had to put the carb back on the way it was without any decent lights so I could start moving snow. I ran it until it quit today then my brother-in-law cut a quick path with a loader. I will clean up and widen everything out tomorrow when I get more gas, but many stations are out of gas right now.

A hot shower is going to feel great tonight!

Later---DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• 10-4-13 blizzard 020.jpg
  • 10-4-13 blizzard 021.jpg
  • 10-4-13 blizzard 028.jpg
  • 10-4-13 blizzard 029.jpg
  • 10-4-13 blizzard 041.jpg
  • 10-4-13 blizzard 042.jpg

• olcowhand, Alc, IamSherwood and 10 others have said thanks

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,704 Thanks
  • 8,894 posts

Posted October 06, 2013 - 07:11 PM

No thank you! Glad to hear the juice is running again at your place.

• MFDAC said thank you

#3 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,415 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted October 06, 2013 - 07:17 PM

Glad you made it through! You folks really caught it up there!

• MFDAC said thank you

#4 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,618 Thanks
  • 7,662 posts

Posted October 06, 2013 - 07:25 PM

I could get frost bite just looking at it. Did it hit your place Cat?

• MFDAC said thank you

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 06, 2013 - 07:35 PM

Thanks for the pictures. It's not often you will see green leaves on the trees with snow on them at the same time. I'm glad everyone is OK! It's always a good idea to have some gas on hand. I used to keep 20 gallons when I had a big gas powered GT and generator. 

• MFDAC said thank you

#6 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,700 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted October 06, 2013 - 08:09 PM

Glad you made it through.  This is the time of year I appreciate living in the south.

• MFDAC and twostep have said thanks

#7 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,639 Thanks
  • 1,733 posts

Posted October 06, 2013 - 08:39 PM

Hope things get back to normal quickly.  Certainly don't need that kind of weather around here any time soon.  The Massey looks  good earning her keep like that. :thumbs:     Good looking old GMC   I'm guessing 1956?    Thanks for the pictures.  It is certainly unusual to see all that green with the snow.      Rick 

• MFDAC said thank you

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted October 06, 2013 - 09:05 PM

Glad you made it thru and everyone is OK. Hopefully the gas is still there and the snow moves easy and/or melts.
  • MFDAC said thank you

#9 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted October 06, 2013 - 11:02 PM

Yuk, too early for that white stuff. Good to hear the family is safe.

How much notice did the weather Gurus give you folks, or dead they get

caught with their pants completely down?

• MFDAC and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#10 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,011 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 12:17 AM

All we received here in eastern SD was some rain and wind. Suppose to be 70 tomorrow.

Hope you get back to normal shortly.

• MFDAC said thank you

#11 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 04:31 AM

I'm glad that you all are okay. You might be able to siphon some gas out of a vehicle. Good Luck, Rick

• MFDAC said thank you

#12 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 05:27 AM

What crazy weather , we put the a/c on Sat night it's very warm here for Oct.

• MFDAC said thank you

#13 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,027 Thanks
  • 1,123 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 08:43 PM

Thanks for the pictures. It's not often you will see green leaves on the trees with snow on them at the same time. I'm glad everyone is OK! It's always a good idea to have some gas on hand. I used to keep 20 gallons when I had a big gas powered GT and generator.

I should look into a generator one of these days, even if it was just enough to run the well pump now and then to flush toilets and have some water to wash up. I usually have 5 gallons of gas around but just got bit this time. 

Glad you made it through.  This is the time of year I appreciate living in the south.

Mom was from here and Dad was from Georgia---as much as I hate snow I never moved south to enjoy snow-free winters!

Hope things get back to normal quickly.  Certainly don't need that kind of weather around here any time soon.  The Massey looks  good earning her keep like that. :thumbs:     Good looking old GMC   I'm guessing 1956?    Thanks for the pictures.  It is certainly unusual to see all that green with the snow.      Rick

Things are improving fast, 40 degrees yesterday and 50 today. The tractor has been good to me, but the engine I put in it came from a snowblower. I have put needle and seats in it several times and after a few runs the dang thing starts pouring gas out of the carb like the float doesn't close the needle. Once it is running is does well just have to tinker with the high speed screw a lot.

The GMC you commented on is a '55 second design which looks pretty much identical to a '56. I drive it more that the other 3 GMC's that can be seen in the pictures!

Glad you made it thru and everyone is OK. Hopefully the gas is still there and the snow moves easy and/or melts.

Monday is a normal day off for me at work, but I got called in to help with emergency repairs for 4 hours, cutting into my time plowing and running for gas. My wife had to go back in to work this morning but they let her off early for being there for 56 hours during the weekend. She was able to go get gas cans filled so I could finish pushing snow soon as I got off work. The stuff I still needed to move was only a couple of feet deep by then due to melt but now the driveway is back to near normal width! I didn't get to drag all the branches up into a pile yet.

Yuk, too early for that white stuff. Good to hear the family is safe.
How much notice did the weather Gurus give you folks, or dead they get
caught with their pants completely down?

They started reporting the possibility of wind and rain turning to snow last Tuesday so it didn't catch anyone by suprise, just every day closer the forecast kept getting worse, and Thursday they issued a blizzard warning. I was in denial!!

All we received here in eastern SD was some rain and wind. Suppose to be 70 tomorrow.
Hope you get back to normal shortly.

Glad it didn't just head out east and pound you over there, Chris! 

I'm glad that you all are okay. You might be able to siphon some gas out of a vehicle. Good Luck, Rick

It didn't have to come to that, fortunately, I didn't want to burp gas for a couple of days! LOL Actually I have an old kerosene stove siphon pump that works well with gas too but I have to add hose to it to reach into a gas tank.

What crazy weather , we put the a/c on Sat night it's very warm here for Oct.

In South Dakota there is a saying "Heater in the morning, A/C in the aftenoon!"

Thank-you all for the responses, it sure is appreciated. I guess the real hard part of the ordeal was being alone, especially the 27 hours with no power. You get stir crazy quick! In 1988 we were without power 36 hours, but my wife and 18 month old son were home and I had a 12 volt TV. I got the battery out of one of the vehicles and we had TV! Can't do that nowadays with the "advances" in television technology. I still have that TV by the way, LOL!

This time an Ipod and an old school Coleman lantern were my friends!

Later---DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• 10-4-13 blizzard 045.jpg
  • 10-4-13 blizzard 046.jpg
  • 10-4-13 blizzard 007.jpg

• MH81, Alc, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#14 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted October 08, 2013 - 07:06 AM

Get a squeeze bulb type siphon to have just incase. It means that all you vehicle are then gas storage for you. Get a generator. I have generators and and woodstoves so that we can comfortably survive big storms. In 93, a COL fron ND lost his house because we were TDY and his power went out at home. The plumbing froze then it warmed up and the power came back on. The house flooded itself.

You can pick up a used generator very cheap and fix it like a GT. Good Luck, Rick

• Alc and MFDAC have said thanks

#15 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,027 Thanks
  • 1,123 posts

Posted October 08, 2013 - 10:14 PM

Get a squeeze bulb type siphon to have just incase. It means that all you vehicle are then gas storage for you. Get a generator. I have generators and and woodstoves so that we can comfortably survive big storms. In 93, a COL fron ND lost his house because we were TDY and his power went out at home. The plumbing froze then it warmed up and the power came back on. The house flooded itself.

You can pick up a used generator very cheap and fix it like a GT. Good Luck, Rick

Thanks, Rick, the siphon I have is a squeeze bulb one but I should just get one with long enough hoses to reach into a car or truck tank instead of stuffing longer hoses on that one. Since 3 of my trucks are pre-unleaded I don't even have to make it fit thru those smaller fuel tank necks!
In around 1990 we were in Denver for Christmas and got a call from my brother-in-law. It was -20 with 60mph winds. The furnace went out and won't re-fire. By the time we got back it was too late. Water lines all broke and parts of the double-wide flooded inside. We were on propane at the time and the water going out the stack froze in horizontal icicles until it couldn't vent anymore shutting down the furnace. A friend and I replumbed underneath and above floor lines and it was as tuff of a job as I have ever experienced! That double wide got replaced with a modular in 2006.

I have no desire to burn wood. Did that for many years and I'm getting too old and beat up for all the cutting, hauling, splitting, stacking and cleanup. The generator deal and keeping more gas on hand has jumped to the top of the wish list!

On a sort of related note, I mentioned yesterday about the carburetion issues on the 10 hp Tecumseh in the MF8E. As noted above this engine came off a snowblower. I decided to unplug the primer line that hooks to what looks like the vent hole. The doggone thing ran great for an hour and a half dragging branches! Never had to adjust the high speed screw and it never died on me! Still seems to have an needle and seat issue, but gas doesn't run out of the carb, it is just damp with gas now when shut off.

More pics from tonite.

Later---DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• draging branches 001.jpg
  • draging branches 002.jpg
  • draging branches 003.jpg
  • draging branches 007.jpg

• IamSherwood, Cvans and boyscout862 have said thanks