daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted December 08, 2010 - 06:14 PM

It started snowing here Friday evening last week. It's Wednesday and it finally stopped snowing for a couple of hours. Last night there was 17 inches since 7pm. What a good time to really try out the snowblowing capabilities of the Elec Trak. I used it Monday, for the very first time. NO chains.
Here is my yard stick in the snow.
20101208_IMG_0161.jpg

Here are two links to the videos. One from Monday's first time and one from today. The snow is fluffy at the top, and heavy and wet as you get to the bottom. It clogged Monday until I fiddled with the chute.

YouTube - GE Elec Trak E20 Snowblowing

YouTube - GE E20 Snowblowing

Today, I put on the tire chains that arrived yesterday. They were really needed on the slick ice that has since formed under all the snow. The E20 performed wonderfully. The chute clogged on the base slush at the ends of the driveway, but I expected that. I did my driveway, then went to the neighbors. Her husband was out of town this week and I got her driveway open for her this week. There was alot of snow from the plow at the end of her driveway. About 24 inches or so. The Elec Trak cleared the end out, after I figured out the best way, and did the rest of the driveway.
My driveway is two cars long, one car wide. Hers is two long and two wide. All heavy snow at the ends. For those who wonder how long the charge will last, I'd say I had enough juice left for another driveway about my size. Not bad for all electric I'd say.

20101206_IMG_0159.jpg

I raised a few eyebrows with the neighbors. A garden tractor is a strange sight in my part of suburbia. Three other neighbors were out with their 8 or 10 horse walk behinds. The GE was not silent, but I could hear their motors over my noise! When they were all done, it was a fairly quiet experience.

I am not a very green type, but I really like this electric concept. I used no gas or oil today, at all. Even for the little sidewalk work.
20101208_IMG_0169.jpg

Now if it would only stop snowing. I'm leaving now to go to my fiance's house to snow blow her driveway. Another 8 - 12 inches is in the forecast from now till tomorrow afternoon.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20101208_IMG_0166.jpg
  • 20101208_IMG_0167.jpg
  • 20101208_IMG_0163.jpg
  • 20101206_IMG_0158.jpg
  • 20101206_IMG_0160.jpg
  • 20101208_IMG_0168.jpg

#2 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted December 08, 2010 - 06:40 PM

I think that's cool, it work's, try spraying some ski wax on the shoot and auger, makes everything slippery so it won't plug up as much.
  • daytime dave said thank you

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted December 08, 2010 - 07:11 PM

Glad you're having fun! Make the best outta the snow:D

Is that Blower a 1 or 2 stage unit?

#4 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted December 08, 2010 - 08:44 PM

Thanks for the great pictures and video. I was wondering how the electric would do in the cold, but seems to perform just fine. We could use just a little of that snow here so that we could play with our tractors.

#5 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted December 08, 2010 - 09:06 PM

MH81, it's a single stage. There is an electric drive motor on the blower unit that turns the chaindrive. It seemed very powerful.
grand, you can come take all you want. I've enjoyed the time with the tractor, but 30+ inches is getting hard to find places for. It was fun though.:smile1:

#6 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted December 09, 2010 - 08:12 AM

MH81, it's a single stage. There is an electric drive motor on the blower unit that turns the chaindrive. It seemed very powerful.
grand, you can come take all you want. I've enjoyed the time with the tractor, but 30+ inches is getting hard to find places for. It was fun though.:smile1:

Glad to hear to had some quality seat time on the Elect Trak .
The key to these single stage is always keeping the augur fed with snow.

You guys really got hammered!
We were lucky enough to miss both snow bands. I can still see the grass in some parts of the yard.

#7 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 19, 2010 - 07:50 AM

Hey ,cool.Thanks for sharing.

#8 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 22, 2010 - 10:51 AM

The GE Elec Trak did a great job. That is awesome the battery life it had. I would have thought different but it is great to hear real use results. Part of me wants some of that snow and part of me wants you to keep it all. That is a lot of snow early in the season, although I guess you guys up north of us this is already the start of your snow season. We usually don't get hammered till after the start of January and often get a lot of March storms.