• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • Member No: 46660
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted October 06, 2013 - 05:30 PM

I wanted to gather some opinions before pulling the trigger on new PTO and Deck Belts for my tractor. 

The HT20 has the 18110 model deck (belt model 1725502) - I believe this is a 146" belt

I located the following models online  A144/4L140 for $8.90 or the A144K for $20.60 (I believe this is a Kevlar belt)

My HT23 has an older 18070-01 (belt model 1715683)  - I believe this is a 130" belt (A128)

Are the PTO belts the same for all model large frames? I located a model number 1722639. My google searches indicated that I use an A33K  - 35" belt - for this (also a Kevlar belt) @ $4.75 each. 

Do I have the correct lengths/models? The places I have looked at are vbeltsupply.com and vbelts4less.com. Does anyone have any experience with these online retailers? Shipping is around $13.00 for everything. I am also going to look at a few local places, although the pricing I have found so far is rather high (one local retailer wanted 35.00 for a "regular" belt - and the local (in the past bolens dealer) quoted me @ 75.00 each for the deck belts. 

Anyways, open to all suggestions as I believe the HT20 needs them replaced. It cuts grass nice and smoothly - but the blades act as if they are slipping. I adjusted the PTO tension but it continues to bog down when mowing. I have to stop and allow the blades to regain traction before I can continue. No smoke or smell - so i'm not sure which is the problem.. but figured they were due for replacement. 

Thanks again for any help or opinions!

Nick

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,695 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted October 06, 2013 - 06:59 PM

Your Definitely going to want kevlar.

I'd be a little weary on any belt thats only  $4.95 - $9.99 I cant imagine them being that good of quality.

Have you tried ebay? 

• Alc said thank you

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted October 06, 2013 - 07:35 PM

I get my belts at Tractor Supply if they are standard length and I'm in a hurry and don't care about price, and Stens if I have time to wait for my order to come in.  Both makes of belts are good quality.  $5 belts would scare me.

Ben W.

#4 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted October 06, 2013 - 08:17 PM

I'm going to try Riverview Industrial Supply http://www.riverview...rialsupply.com/ this week and see what they offer. I agree - the price does seem dramatically different compared to belts I have priced so far locally.

I am curious to find out how much they are from the place I mentioned above. If anything - I may order a few of the cheaper belts online to try. There is absolutely no reason for a v-belt to cost so much.. I mean $70ish for a deck belt is RIDICULOUS. Heck.. I think anything over $25.00 is to high.. but I could be wrong.. which happens often if you ask my wife lol. 

Thanks,

Nick

#5 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted October 06, 2013 - 08:36 PM

Can't help you with the deck belts Nick
But here is a set of PTO belts I've been watching on eBay for a LONG time.
http://bit.ly/197aYGS
  • Newpaws493 said thank you

#6 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted October 06, 2013 - 10:10 PM

Thanks Ken - I have those on my watch list as well. I also found some that were blue (also supposedly Kevlar). However, I have decided that these would totally clash with the paint scheme of my HT20 and HT23... so I guess i'll have to buy the regular ole cheapy black belts  :rolling:

I actually might end up buying a set of those. Just depends on what i find out tomorrow when I call the Riverview Supply. I do have some NOS PTO belts - but they are really old. Suppose age matters? They look really good... I was just going to use them to match up a new pair. I didn't figure belts would be like like wine.... better with age. But hey.. i've been consistently wrong the last few days.. lol

Nick

#7 pwombles OFFLINE  

pwombles

• Member No: 7101
  • 200 Thanks
  • 220 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 07:30 AM

dont waste your money on the cheap belts. I bought a cheap deck belt on ebay this spring and by mid summer it was already junk. stretched and worn BAD! spend the money on better belts and you will be replacing them less.

#8 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,624 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 11:14 AM

Here's how my luck would be ,,,,   i would buy the cheap set , put them on and order the more $$ and hang them up in the garage because the cheap belts don't last  right ? ,,,,,end up  the cheap belts would last forever and give the $$$ away with the tractor when it's sold  lol

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 11:32 AM

I tried a PIX belt on my MF1010 deck and it lasted an hour before a large bulge appeared in it.  Never even slipped the belt either.  It was 40% of the price of a Massey OE belt, but not worth a dime for the application.  $62 down the drain.

#10 framesteer OFFLINE  

framesteer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11301
  • 331 Thanks
  • 164 posts

Posted October 08, 2013 - 12:26 PM

I've had good luck with belts, idlers, sheaves, etc from Jay Dee Enterprises at http://jdv-belts.com/.  They have a parts listing and price list for all lawn and garden equipment by manufacturer part number (attached).

They are very helpful and knowledgeable on belt drive designs

Attached Files

• bicyclemotocross said thank you

#11 BGardner64 OFFLINE  

BGardner64
  • Member No: 45881
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted October 24, 2013 - 04:03 PM

I have actually tried one of those websites.  I call VBeltSupply.com and asked them a couple questions about their belts and decided to try ordering one.  I also called VBelt4less.com but their shipping was almost twice as much as VBeltSupply.com.  The belt is still on the mower and hasn't failed.  I only paid $15 for the belt plus about $10 shipping instead of $95 for the Simplicity replacement belt.

#12 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted October 31, 2013 - 07:16 PM

I have actually tried one of those websites.  I call VBeltSupply.com and asked them a couple questions about their belts and decided to try ordering one.  I also called VBelt4less.com but their shipping was almost twice as much as VBeltSupply.com.  The belt is still on the mower and hasn't failed.  I only paid $15 for the belt plus about $10 shipping instead of $95 for the Simplicity replacement belt.

I will probably be buying from them as well. I've been able to mow with the belts that are on the tractor - ironically it's not slipping as much now, it's nearly quit. I do want to order a few sets of the PTO belts and a few mower belts as well.