• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,669 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted November 10, 2013 - 03:21 PM

It appears you are missing the belt guard for the PTO engine pulley. If the bolts are out where the guard should go it will spew oil out the bolt holes and land near the battery like in your pics.

• Gutkowski said thank you

#32 Gutkowski OFFLINE  

Gutkowski
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 47905
  • 44 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted November 10, 2013 - 05:31 PM

It appears you are missing the belt guard for the PTO engine pulley. If the bolts are out where the guard should go it will spew oil out the bolt holes and land near the battery like in your pics.

Thank You !!! I actually was having a very depressing day today thinking I was going to have to rebuild this engine , I never would have figured that out . Those belts I got off eBay for the pto all the same numbers you posted except there are 2 letters after the number . Tight to the point that they spin the pto without being engaged .
Thanks a million Bolens 1000 :)

#33 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,669 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted November 10, 2013 - 05:58 PM

Thank You !!! I actually was having a very depressing day today thinking I was going to have to rebuild this engine , I never would have figured that out . Those belts I got off eBay for the pto all the same numbers you posted except there are 2 letters after the number . Tight to the point that they spin the pto without being engaged .
Thanks a million Bolens 1000 :)

Glad it was an easy Fix!

The 42.5'' Belts should not engage when the PTO is off. Mind posting a pic or the link to the belts you got.

You do know there is an adjustment for the PTO right?

#34 Gutkowski OFFLINE  

Gutkowski
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 44 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted November 10, 2013 - 06:19 PM

Here was that ebay listing http://www.ebay.com/...4.m1439.l2649 .

Is the adjustment right where the pot shaft is with the 3 bolts connect to the front axle ?

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#35 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,669 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted November 10, 2013 - 07:01 PM

Here was that ebay listing http://www.ebay.com/...4.m1439.l2649 .

Is the adjustment right where the pot shaft is with the 3 bolts connect to the front axle ?

Those are indeed genuine Belts :D

Yes loosening the 3 bolts will allow you to raise or lower the PTO to get the desired clearance.

I'll be curious to see how many years you get out of these. This set is pretty old since it has the Bolens Name printed right on it.

I believe they stopped printing the Bolens name on the belts in the late 80's so this means these belts are at least 20-25 years old.

You cant beat the price though.

#36 Gutkowski OFFLINE  

Gutkowski
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 44 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted November 10, 2013 - 07:12 PM

Those are indeed genuine Belts :D

Yes loosening the 3 bolts will allow you to raise or lower the PTO to get the desired clearance.

I'll be curious to see how many years you get out of these. This set is pretty old since it has the Bolens Name printed right on it.

I believe they stopped printing the Bolens name on the belts in the late 80's so this means these belts are at least 20-25 years old.

You cant beat the price though.

I was looking at the adjuster this morning and it looks like the adjustment is all the way up all 3 bolts are bottomed out and all the slot is above the bolts .

#37 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,669 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted November 10, 2013 - 07:26 PM

I was looking at the adjuster this morning and it looks like the adjustment is all the way up all 3 bolts are bottomed out and all the slot is above the bolts .

Without that top belt guard to hold the belts in place,  adjusting them may be a problem.

#38 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,166 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted November 11, 2013 - 08:48 AM

There have been times that I have had to make the slots longer (by filing) to gain some extra adjustment.

As Brian said, you really need that upper belt guard, as well as the lower guard around the PTO pulley.  ....Although they are called guards, their purpose is actually to control where the slack in the belt occurs, to prevent the belt from dragging in the pulley when the PTO is not engaged.

#39 Gutkowski OFFLINE  

Gutkowski
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 44 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted November 11, 2013 - 09:07 AM

I took the guards off to change the belt and then decided to leave them off untill I installed the new belts this coming weekend . I will check into the adjustment also .
Thanks .
Matt