18 replies to this topic

#16 New.Canadian.DB.Owner ONLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted October 06, 2013 - 07:02 PM

... Maybe I could just beef up the frame some?

That's exactly the type of question you'll be getting from your customers!   :poke:

I'm with JDBrian & Cat385B: Start small & build/buy as the need arises.  The less you have in overhead, the more profit you can generate.  Once you've saved up some cash (not credit), buy the next item you really can't live without.

Can you imagine dragging the trailer you want to build out into a muddy field to fix a dead tractor?  You'd need a serious truck to pull it! 

#17 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted October 06, 2013 - 07:44 PM

Ryan I am proud of you and know how you feel having your own business. One small story, when I lived in Fla I had a side job of doing Air Conditioning and did real good just part time, the only advertising I did was by word of mouth and  business cards with my name and phone number, no address.

When I was in the service, our welding shop had a old old old generator welder with an again old 6 cylinder flat head engine and the welding portion attached how ever it is done. We had to get the old goat rebuilt for the engine was shot and the Air Force rented a real nice portable which was a 4 cylinder with a mag for electric starting an the welding generator was within the trailer which was about 4" square and easy to back and move around and started nice and easy. We had a brace for the gas bottles and a frame to wrap the cable and hoses on. Now you don't want to put to much on something like that for it could get feet and walk on you during the night or other times.  

Again good luck with you welding.  Dick 

Edited by JRJ, October 06, 2013 - 07:45 PM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#18 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted October 06, 2013 - 08:11 PM

I also do a few occasional weld jobs in the garage here at the house myself,  do more mechanical stuff  like the 96 rust bucket chevy I have in the garage right now that I had to replace ALL of the steel brake lines on...

Today while doing back brakes on my own Dakota (due to a blown rear axle seal that ruined the shoes) a neighbor stopped by and asked me if I could do a small side job for him... I generally don't do oil changes because I cant even buy the oil and filter for what a couple of nearby places charge for the whole oil change incl labor and disposal... I still do all my own on my vehicles though 

theres all kinds of ways to make side money out of you garage

• boyscout862 said thank you

#19 Gutkowski OFFLINE  

Gutkowski
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 47905
  • 44 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted October 08, 2013 - 08:32 PM

Ryan check out the Miller Maxstar 200 series we have 2 of them they both stick weld and the other will tig weld , both will plug into any voltage up to 480 with the proper plug end , at 120 volt you need a 15 amp circuit and only run 3/32 rod at that voltage because of penetration to the material because of lack of amperage . My F550 with the equipment including the Miller 225 I am pushing around 14k in weight ,