• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted October 06, 2013 - 09:15 AM

Once I got my stick welder, I posted an ad on craigslist in the "Skilled Trade Services" to see if I could find some side work welding, HERE is the ad. I have not been renewing the ad every 2 days like it allows you to, more like every 4-5 days; although, I have gotten 3 jobs since I started to post it a few weeks ago. The first were some repairs on a skid steer, the next was making certain wooden wheels fit onto a horse drawn carriage since the original where broken, and today I was supposed to do some small repairs on an f350 dump truck, a brush hog, and a finish mower for a guy. I was supposed to be at his house this morning at 9 o'clock, but due to rain I had to cancel, I am going to do it another day.

After my costs, my profit was $53 an hour the first job, $68 an hour the next job, and the one I was going to do today I plan to be about $60 an hour. I think doing this part time more would be good, as long as my profits stay where they are.

Right now, I am loosing business because I either have to bring the work back to my house, or they have to have a 220V outlet there I can use. My plan, is to set up a welding trailer. I already have a trailer, and already have a utility body that should be perfect to put on the trailer. I would set-up a welding truck, but then I have to pay for maintenance, registration, and insurance of having another truck on the road. With a trailer, the cost would be much less.

Here is the trailer I plan to use. This trailer also sits very low, which is good.

AD306DEB-DFB7-43C7-A37C-62BFB698CBE7-755

This is the body I want to use. It is currently on the service truck my Dad used for the Tire Business. We are going to sell the truck soon, and as long as the measurements work with the trailer I have I am going to use it. The only problem is that the floor in it is completely rotted out and not usable. The good thing, is that I already have a piece of diamond plate sheet metal cut to size for this.

C893C9DB-2F43-4C7C-8212-3799A3618234-220

The deck of the trailer is longer then the body, which will give me some room up front. I am going to get an engine driven welder and put it on the front of the trailer once I save up enough money to get one. The welding supply store I go to leases Miller Bobcat 250 welders for $83 a month, and I was going to do that... but they don't do it anymore. There is another supply store local, I am going to see if they lease welders.

I have been asked by many people if I had a business card, and I did not. So, yesterday I ordered 250 of them for $10. Here is what I came up with, the background was one that the site had. I thought about it for quite a while, making sure I had everything on there... but I forgot to put that I am certified.

1226e0f0-e387-4cbe-a491-959d3474cbf1.jpg

• olcowhand, Alc, IamSherwood and 6 others have said thanks

#2 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted October 06, 2013 - 09:30 AM

Cool jobs youll got a pretty good plan already

#3 New.Canadian.DB.Owner ONLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted October 06, 2013 - 09:46 AM

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:  JOB = Just Over Broke.  If you can start your own skilled labour small business, you'll never be laid off.  You just can't out source welding jobs to India.  That sort of thing is always done locally and guys will pay a premium for "I'll come to you".  It's hard to get a dead combine out of the field, let alone into town.  

#4 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted October 06, 2013 - 09:48 AM

By the looks of the trailer frame and axle I think the tool body by itself will be too much for it, JMHO. Maybe a truck frame and axle from the wrecking yard to make into a tlr for the tool body?

Mike

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,528 posts

Posted October 06, 2013 - 09:54 AM

I wish you good luck with the business but I don't think that trailer looks even close to strong enough. Please check it out carefully. There can be lots of problems with an overloaded trailer and lots of liability. That frame looks like a 1200# axle and frame but the body looks like a 2000# body (empty). Good Luck, Rick

#6 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,716 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted October 06, 2013 - 10:40 AM

I wish you good luck with the business but I don't think that trailer looks even close to strong enough. Please check it out carefully. There can be lots of problems with an overloaded trailer and lots of liability. That frame looks like a 1200# axle and frame but the body looks like a 2000# body (empty). Good Luck, Rick

The axle looks to have at least 15" tires and 6 lug hubs. Wouldn't that be at least 5000 lbs? I agree the frame doesn't look that heavy. The truck bed full of tools isn't going to be light. There's a reason for those dual rear wheels! Is there something wrong with the truck that you can't fix it and repurpose it for your needs?

The other side of the liability issue would be a failed weld that caused a major problem. You never know in today's world. You might be better off not adsvertising that your certified. The expectation of perfection wouldn't be as great. If you make good welds and solid repairs, you won't have to tell them your good!

• boyscout862 said thank you

#7 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,528 posts

Posted October 06, 2013 - 10:52 AM

It might be a 5000# axle but I doubt it. An axle greater than 3000# would have brakes. It all comes under the weakest link of the chain idea.  You have to check these things very carefully. Check with your local police. In CT it is very difficult to register a  homemade trailer now. Other states will be following suit. Good Luck, Rick

#8 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted October 06, 2013 - 11:00 AM

Thanks for the advice concerning the trailer strength! It has 16 inch wheels, 6 lug hubs, and it DOES have brakes on it. Maybe I could just beef up the frame some?

#9 KC9KAS ONLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted October 06, 2013 - 12:49 PM

"By the looks of the trailer frame and axle I think the tool body by itself will be too much for it, JMHO."

That was my 1st thought too.

#10 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 06, 2013 - 03:36 PM

Ryan, a couple of thoughts.  Have you considered re purposing the tire service truck? If not, then perhaps you could fit out the trailer as lightly as possible rather than using the truck body. The trailer will be a short term thing. Eventually you will need a serious welding setup, but for now as a part time business my advice would be to concentrate on the essentials for the trailer. The more time and money you spend on the trailer the less time you will have to do jobs. You can't take all the jobs that come your way at this point so pick the ones that will yield the most experience and profit, without requiring you to make large investments in equipment. 

#11 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted October 06, 2013 - 03:46 PM

How far do you travel, Ryan?  There are always guys looking for on site welders around here.  Not to mention that I would like to get ahold of one occasionally! 

Good luck on the new business. 

Ben W.

#12 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,698 Thanks
  • 8,892 posts

Posted October 06, 2013 - 03:59 PM

I agree with Brian. Skip putting the service body off the truck onto the trailer, just put the essentials on the trailer for now and see how it goes.

#13 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted October 06, 2013 - 04:57 PM

I have thought about using the tire truck for welding, but currently does not run. I am not sure what the problem is, but it is an electrical problem that has to do with the fuel system. Even if I got it going, it has been sitting for 2 1/2 years, so who knows what else is bad. I do know that it needs brakes, ball joints, and ironically... Tires.

I think you guys might be right, maybe I will just forget about using the utility body and just put a what I really need, like you guys said.

#14 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted October 06, 2013 - 05:29 PM

The way the axle is set on the tlr I'd keep the heavier items above or slightly ahead of the axle. The tongue doesn't look real strong.

Mike

#15 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,602 Thanks
  • 3,906 posts

Posted October 06, 2013 - 05:31 PM

Sounds like the truck is pretty much salvage.  Cut its frame just behind the front axle and utilize its chassis for the trailer frame.  Then you know you won't be overloading the trailer frame or axle.

• IamSherwood said thank you