Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Can We Please Include Urls And Location Hints?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 KBCraig OFFLINE  

KBCraig
  • Member No: 46350
  • 55 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted October 06, 2013 - 02:42 AM

I appreciate all those who post here, but if I might make a request:

Please include a location hint in the post title. Major city, or state/province would be nice. I might click to open a post about a tractor that's nearby, even though it's not what I'm looking for. Or even if it's exactly what I'm looking for, I probably won't bother opening a post about a tractor or parts in British Columbia or Nevada.

Also: please include the actual ad URL. 

Some folks copy/paste the page without a link to it. That's not helpful at all. Someone who wants to see the original ad has to guess where to find it based on the clues on the copy/pasted page, then drill down or search for it.

Thanks!

#2 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,317 Thanks
  • 4,664 posts

Posted October 06, 2013 - 04:14 AM

Not everyone knows how to copy & paste a web address or URL so if you could be interested in something somebody posts-  Sent the Poster a PM & ask the pertinent information.  You can also help them to understand how to do it as well..

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted October 06, 2013 - 07:17 AM

I read these two posts and was thinking about how to do some kind of tutorial or something on CL ads. The problems are, the time it would take to do all the different formats/browsers/mobile devices/apps/etc and the fact that the ad referenced would have to be one from a a member here so we could immortalized it with screenshots in a educational format.

That said, if you do know "copy-paste-fu" and are going to share a link, please (I struggle here) add a city in the title or body of the post at least and if you have time; a pic and a copy of the text for posterity.

#4 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted October 06, 2013 - 08:16 AM

I will do that from here on. I have been a big culprit of not listing locations and a picture and text. :hitting_self_roller:  :hitting_self_roller:

Geno

#5 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted October 06, 2013 - 10:12 AM

I quit buying outside of my range so no one usually posts anything even close to me..... Except the western PA guys (I have people up there lol)

#6 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,651 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 06, 2013 - 10:31 AM

KB, yes, that's a good idea.  I edited my last ebay posting to start with "Ebay" in the title.   I always include a link in the post content.

#7 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,565 Thanks
  • 3,949 posts

Posted October 06, 2013 - 02:48 PM

I always enjoy checking out the various ads posted up here. But I have not ever gotten the cut and paste or urls figured out yet. So it can be frustrating to tell others about something unique. Tried it, but never got it to work.

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted October 06, 2013 - 03:40 PM

I always enjoy checking out the various ads posted up here. But I have not ever gotten the cut and paste or urls figured out yet. So it can be frustrating to tell others about something unique. Tried it, but never got it to work.

If you need any help please let me know.

#9 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted October 06, 2013 - 04:22 PM

For most folks on a lap or desktop running Windows, right click on the address bar (URL) at the top of the page. That will do two things. It will highlight the complete address and it will bring up an option box. The third option is 'copy'. Click that. Now go to the GTT page you want to post it on. Right click in the reply box. It will bring up the same set of options, now choose the fourth option, 'paste'. That will add the link in text form to your post. Do not type next to the link, hit return and go to a new line or it will screw up the link.

To copy the text of an ad, hold your mouse cursor top left of the text. Hold down the left button on the mouse and move the cursor to the bottom right of want you want to copy. Let go of the left button on the mouse. Move your cursor over the highlighted text, right click, and once again choose 'copy'. Repeat the above instructions to paste.

#10 BowlBuilder OFFLINE  

BowlBuilder

• Member No: 8169
  • 446 Thanks
  • 427 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 05:19 PM

I will absolutely do my best to try and remember to do this in the future.  Thank you.