16 replies to this topic

#16 mastifflawyer OFFLINE  

mastifflawyer

Tractorholic

• Member No: 261
  • 43 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted December 10, 2010 - 07:12 AM

Ok-Here's my opinion. If you don't feel comfortable welding it, have someone do it for you. I am not sure if there are any members close to you, but if you were near me I would do it for you. The reason it should be welded is because it is a repair that you should do once and be satisfied that it is fixed for good. I use JB Weld and find it to be a good fix for many things. However, I would not be satisfied that it would be a permanent repair for the pan. I would always wonder when it was going to give out. The reason I would always wonder is because things have a tendency to give out at the worst possible times. For me that is usually when I am using the snowblower. Nothing ever gives out in the shop. Nothing ever breaks down near anything. So I say do it right the first time and forget about it.

#17 Josh Smith OFFLINE  

Josh Smith

• Member No: 769
  • 7 Thanks
  • 62 posts

Posted December 16, 2010 - 01:44 AM

JB Weld should work great I have used it for several things the last I used it for was to seal up a fuel tank that was leaking pretty bad and its holding great. Just as long as you get it real clean and scuff the surface with sand paper or something and clean it again to give it something to grab into itll hold good. The only concern I might have would be heat I know folks who have used it in their intake ports to smooth them out in their pulling tractors and the heat made it shrink but the oil pan may not get as warm as the ports do. So I would imagine that it would work as good as anything. Thanks Josh