Garden Hiller Build

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 freedhardwoods OFFLINE  

• Member No: 47074
  • 374 Thanks
  • 197 posts

Posted October 05, 2013 - 07:40 PM

I used some of my disc parts and a few other things to make this.

I went dumpster diving at work and brought home some long reduced shank 1" bolts and nuts as well as a few other things. They throw away a lot of useful stuff. To buy those bolts new would cost at least $20 each. As it turns out, I was able to use those to build my hiller the next day.

The disc blades and spacers were originally on a 1" square shaft so I needed some kind of bushing to get everything centered on the reduced shank. I cut some 3/4" pvc pipe to length and split it lengthwise. Sliding that on the bolts made a perfect fit. Once the blades were tight, I didn't have to worry about the steel wearing on the plastic.

Since I had different size blades (due to previous wear), I put a larger blade on the outside to help build larger hills.

The bearing mounting shanks were to short to bolt on. I happened to have a piece of pipe in my metal pile the right size to slide over the shanks to make them long enough.

I used some parts from the disc (don't know what to call them) that fit right over the pipe to clamp them to the toolbar. I bought a 6' length of threaded rod, cut 6" pieces and welded them to pieces of flat stock to bolt the clamps to.

In the last pic I turned one gang 180* and moved it over to see how my mini disc-plow. I had left the bolts full length until I had everything put together. I need to cut them off and move the right gang 3" to the right and the left gang 6" to the right so everything will line up properly.

BB.jpg CC.jpg AA.jpg DD.jpg GG.jpg II.jpg KK.jpg

Edited by freedhardwoods, October 05, 2013 - 07:53 PM.

• Alc, KennyP, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#2 shorty OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,313 Thanks
  • 3,734 posts

Posted October 05, 2013 - 09:08 PM

Looks good. You sure are turning out some useful attachments.  :thumbs: