#1 Gutkowski OFFLINE  

Gutkowski
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 47905
  • 44 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted October 05, 2013 - 07:34 PM

Hello everyone ,

I just picked up this Craftsman II this morning from an estate sale the seller told me that has sat for over 2 years and not running so I paid him is asking price of $50.00 loaded it up in the truck and went home .

Got it home and went through the tractor and found that the seat switch was disconnected which I rewired , the fuse was pulled from the harness (put that back ) The starter solenoid looked a bit corroded so I replaced that with an extra one that I had from a LT1000 as well as replaced the positive cable from the solenoid to the battery which the crimped connector was falling off . I changed out the fuel tank ,the seat and the bracket ,put in a battery box I had hanging around refilled the gas , shot some carb cleaner in the carb and she fired right up :) . She smoked for close to a min at idle cleared right up for me .

Now here are some issues it has lol ,

The exhaust has a hole in it and when I engauge the electric PTO switch she boggs right down and wants to quit running .It also seems that the deck will not go all the way down , there is very little travel when you move the deck handle forward , I would say that in both forward and return there is only about 2-3 inches of travel I am stumped .

Does anyone have any ideas what might stop the engine when I switch the PTO on or deck travel ?

Thanks in advance ,

Matt-

Attached Thumbnails

• 019.JPG
  • 020.JPG

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 Gutkowski OFFLINE  

Gutkowski
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 44 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted October 05, 2013 - 07:36 PM

Oh ya one more thing I think the brakes are shot , I looked at them and seems like something is not hooked up correctly I will get a photo of that in the afternoon tomorrow .

Thanks again ,

Matt-

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted October 05, 2013 - 07:48 PM

If the bearings are bad in the PTO, that might cause it to bog!

• boyscout862 and Gutkowski have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,772 Thanks
  • 7,538 posts

Posted October 05, 2013 - 08:12 PM

New brake shoes are $7 at NAPA. It is a spring loaded rod that needs to be adjusted too. Good Luck, Rick

• Gutkowski said thank you

#5 Gutkowski OFFLINE  

Gutkowski
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 44 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted October 05, 2013 - 08:29 PM

New brake shoes are $7 at NAPA. It is a spring loaded rod that needs to be adjusted too. Good Luck, Rick

I see my problem now I am missing the spring that goes from one of the nuts to the plate .

If the bearings are bad in the PTO, that might cause it to bog!

The deck and blades will spin when I flip the switch but I am thinking some kind of safety switch or the deck handle is killing the motor