Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

1945 John Deere BO Lindeman Crawler ( NOT FACTORY ORIGINAL )

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted December 08, 2010 - 07:07 AM

This is posted on another site, but I'm a new member here and wanted to share this with you also.
This is not a "garden tractor" but it is a very important part of my tractor collection.
Some of you have already seen this but I'm sure there are other members that have not.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

.... 1945 John Deere BO Lindeman ( Not Original ) ....

When I bought this at a farm auction in the spring of 78, it was completely torn apart. Part of it was in a garage, part was in the barn and the tracks were laying outside. Only two other guys bid on it and they really weren't that interested in it.
I had no idea what it would even look like until I started putting it together.

The farmers wife said he had this crawler since the early 50's and he used it on the farm. The crawler was worn out and smoked a lot, so he tore it all apart and was going to rebuild it when he died of a hart attack.

I rebuilt the motor completely. The bearings and gears in the transmission and final drive were good and I haven't changed them.
I replaced 4 of the 6 rollers and both track chains. 8 of the track pads were missing, as was the hood, gas tank and radiator shutters.

All the modifications were made during the rebuild in 1978.

The local John Deere dealer gave me the address of a tractor junk yard in Ohio that had about a dozen of these up against their back fence. I spent a couple days of my vacation that summer, taking the parts off that I needed.

I used this around the house and to maintain my driveway until 2001. That's when a neighbor took me to my FIRST tractor show and I got bit by " the tractor bug ".
There was a fully restored Lindeman at the show. I realized then, that old crawler I had was kind of special.

I was going to put it back to all original, but my neighbor said that I should show it just like it was. After all, it has been this way all the time that I've owned it. Besides, if I made it original it would be just like all the other Lindemans. This way it is total different from any other Lindeman out there.

... I took his advise. ...

I cleaned her up and we attended our first show the next summer.

Unlike most Lindeman owners - and because I was ignorant of what it was - I have had the privilege of actually using this little crawler for over 30 years.
It has done some hard work for me and at times it has been very dirty.
Now it is "retired" and we mostly just show it.
Although, I still get it out once in a while and play in the dirt with it.

.................................................. .................................................. ..........

The loader is off a Massey Harris Ferguson tractor.
I had to make extensive modifications to the upright supports to make it fit on to the crawler frame.
The loader is mounted in rubber with the front supports using the same brackets that Lindeman used to mount the crawler frame to the John Deere.

This loader had power lift only and lowered by gravity. The bucket also tipped by gravity.
I converted it to full time hydraulic with pressure up and down. Then I built linkage so the bucket is rotated by a hydraulic cylinder.

The grill guard is made out of angle iron and 1/2 inch rods.

Posted Image

The loader arms are "beefed up" with square tubing welded to the underside. This was done because the crawler puts a lot more force on the loader then what the tractor would have.

Posted Image

I added 12 volt electric start with alternator and lights. A 390 Ford truck Ring gear is attached to the backside of the flywheel.

Posted Image

Also added a water pump and thermostat for better cooling control. The water pump is mounted underneath the alternator.
The water pump itself is off a Jeep flathead 4-cylinder motor. I built an aluminum housing for it to mount to.
The hydraulic controls and hydraulic filter are mounted on loader's upright support.

The "red rods" mounted on the underside of the loader arms, are safety stops. I like to show it like this, with the loader raised up so you can see the crawler itself better.
These red rods set down on the cylinder shafts so the loader can't accidentally drop down.

Posted Image

The tool box mounted mounted on the loader upright support is something that I picked up at a antique automotive swapmeet.

Posted Image

I built a cast iron extension for the exhaust so it would clear the loader arm.
This crawler has the 14 inch wide track pads, ( 12 inch were standard with 10 inch or 14 inch as options ).
It also has the optional power take-off shaft at the rear.

Posted Image

The box to the left of the hydraulic controls, holds the battery, amp gauge, light switch & starter switch
( you can see the blue keybob ).
The starter sits on top of the transmission ( under the small round gas tank ).
You can see the clutch pedal on the inside of the left foot pad.

Posted Image

This photo was taken at a swap meet in 2001. I had the crawler for sale. 3 weeks later, my neighbor took me to the tractor show.
While I was using it as a working crawler, I had a counter weight mounted on the back. I took this off for showing as it was heavy and ugly.

Posted Image

..............................................................................................................

This was taken off the web and is a example of what the Lindeman crawlers looked like from the factory.
The only attachment that was available from the factory was this "tool bar"
It could be mounted to the front and have this grader blade attached to it....

Posted Image

or it could be mounted to the rear for attaching plows, discs and cultivators.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by jdcrawler, December 08, 2010 - 07:13 AM.

• Tinkerer, caseguy and dryrun have said thanks

#2 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted December 08, 2010 - 07:17 AM

Nice!!! Thanks for sharing!
  • jdcrawler said thank you

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted December 08, 2010 - 07:22 AM

That is a unique machine For sure!
I bet it is fun to drive too.
You did an amazing job of fixing the crawler up :thumbs:

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,280 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted December 08, 2010 - 08:09 AM

Thank you for the pictures & detailed post. I Really enjoyed reading it with my coffee. Nice machine & I agree on keeping "As Used". Makes for an interesting story at the shows I bet.

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 08, 2010 - 10:45 AM

Thanks for posting Ray,nice machine.:thumbs:

#6 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 08, 2010 - 05:21 PM

That's a very nice machine! Thanks for posting the pics and telling the story! I like to see the cleaned up "blue collar" machines the most. They tell the real story of how these machines were used. Many farmers did as you did and modified the machines to suit their needs....and that is much more interesting than a carbon copy of the showroom model IMHO!

#7 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted December 08, 2010 - 05:38 PM

Ray,

It is a great piece of history, and the story of how you came to own it is even better. I amm in agreement with the other guys here, you did right leaving it the way you have used and enjoyed this machine all theses years. Great pictures also.

Thanks for sharing, Brian

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted December 08, 2010 - 10:00 PM

Never grow tired of seeing this crawler. I especially enjoy the vintage pics!

#9 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,208 Thanks
  • 5,217 posts

Posted December 08, 2010 - 11:45 PM

Very nice Ray, I love them old crawlers.

Been hopeing to get me a Lindeman some day.

#10 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted December 09, 2010 - 07:10 AM

First off Ray, glad to see you found us here and joined up. I think you will find this a nice spot to hang your hat. Second I really enjoy your story of the crawler and how you have actually used it over the years. I am glad you left it like you used it when you take it to shows. You have done some neat modifications to it and made it more usefull to you.

:welcome: to the group Ray. :wave:

#11 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted December 09, 2010 - 09:15 AM

Thank you for the nice comments everyone.
I still enjoy the crawler and take it out and play with it more than I thought I would back when I decided to "retire" it.
However, I don't take it to as many shows as I use to. It weighs almost 6,000 pounds and isn't the easiest thing to transport.

In the last few years, I have become addicted to the old Bolens Ridemaster tractors and the collection has grown to four of them now.
I can get 6 or 7 tractors that size on the trailer and the load weighs less than half of what just the crawler weighs.

PS:
Jerome .. I didn't know you were interested in getting a Lindeman. I'll keep my eyes open and let you know if I run across one for sale.

#12 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,208 Thanks
  • 5,217 posts

Posted December 09, 2010 - 09:25 PM

PS:
Jerome .. I didn't know you were interested in getting a Lindeman. I'll keep my eyes open and let you know if I run across one for sale.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking if one ever terns up around here for cheep I may get it, then again were would I put it with all the bolens taking up all the room.
I do know were a muck tractor is that has been sitting out side most of its life, but I dont think the old guy will get rid of it.

#13 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted December 09, 2010 - 10:20 PM

PS:
I was thinking if one ever terns up around here for cheep I may get it, then again were would I put it with all the bolens taking up all the room.
I do know were a muck tractor is that has been sitting out side most of its life, but I dont think the old guy will get rid of it.

The operative word is "cheep".
I paid $700 for mine back in 1978 for a basket case and everyone said I was crazy to pay that much for it.
Last summer I watched a restored Lindeman sell at auction and it went for $25,000 !