#1 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted October 05, 2013 - 06:46 PM

So my father past away this past Dec and my family will be buying house from mom next spring. Dad was a child of the depression, he threw away almost nothing cause " someone might be able to use this".

My son and I started cleaning out his barn and also burning old lumber that was piled up.

Here a few pics from today, 1st is cleaned out part, I should've taken before pics, it was piled high with bicycles, tractor, junk, etc.

photobucket-1103-1381011784269_zpsc29c79

Here is the tractor and Gravely out in the drive. The Allis HB212 hasn't seen daylight since 1990 when motor broke rod, took us forever to get it moving, all tires were flat and groundhog dug up gravel under deck, had gravel all piled up.

Gravely was out in 1998 or 99 when I was trying to get it running, but failed so pushed it in there.

photobucket-11246-1381011824520_zps602ea

photobucket-1028-1381011860348_zpsca7ef4

photobucket-6378-1381011886609_zps128b71

photobucket-6778-1381011910226_zpsfd6b69

I'm hoping to get the Briggs rebuilt over winter, but I will have tons of home remodel so we can move in so may not happen. They wanted crazy money to fix it way back in 90 and dad couldn't afford it, good thing I have the internet. Would like to get Gravely running too, thankfully inside of gas tank looks brand new, but I have to figure out a starter for it, that rope kills ya!

We got both of those, the Troybilt, log splitter, wood chipper back in and had extra room to put the two craftsman riders from house garage in there, I have to sell so much.

Here is pic of our burn "barrel". Told you all I was redneck!

photobucket-5606-1381011961668_zps4035a8

• olcowhand, sacsr, tinbender7 and 5 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,415 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted October 05, 2013 - 06:52 PM

Wish I had a 'burn barrel' like that! I hope the transition goes smoothly for you folks!

• JRJ and TAHOE have said thanks

#3 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted October 05, 2013 - 06:59 PM

You have a lot of work ahead of ya's, but will be worth it in the end.

• JRJ said thank you

#4 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,240 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted October 05, 2013 - 07:30 PM

Come across and minibikes? My other hobby

#5 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted October 05, 2013 - 07:39 PM

I'm sure it's hard but you'll be glad you did it when your done. Praying everything goes well with the transition for you & your family.

#6 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted October 05, 2013 - 07:57 PM

That Allis looks pleased to be out again.  Do you have the rest of the hood?

Ben W.

#7 SupplySergeant ONLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 45293
  • 1,084 Thanks
  • 658 posts

Posted October 05, 2013 - 08:16 PM

Now, a REAL redneck would'v put the fire under the tub and had a hottub!  Clearing barns is hard work, but usually worth it.

• IamSherwood and KennyP have said thanks

#8 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted October 05, 2013 - 08:22 PM

Barn cleaning is dirty work. We cleaned up a farm a while back where the old guy still had horse drawn farm implements around. Fortunately they all went to a museum.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#9 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted October 05, 2013 - 08:33 PM

Looks like you're making a lot of progress though.  Hopefully it was also a good experience bonding with your son too.

That Gravely surely ought to be fixable, let us know when you get around to working on it.

#10 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted October 06, 2013 - 07:52 AM

I was looking around my parents place the other day and thinking to myself that this will be some kinda labor of love when the cleanup happens.

Sorry about Dad passing, hopefully you are sharing stories with your son about him as you clean. My dad did that with me as we cleaned up at his Dads place... At the time, I could've cared less, now I remember the stories and time with Dad and smile.

Good luck on the Briggs and the gravely.
  • HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks

#11 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,700 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted October 06, 2013 - 08:41 AM

Don't through away those old bicycles, check around your area and there is probably an organization who will take them and either use them for parts or rebuild them for kid's that can't afford them.   Looking at all the pictures reminds me of my grandparents farm. They had a guest house filled with stuff.  Good luck on all your projects, looks like they will keep you busy for a while!  :D

• MFDAC said thank you

#12 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,028 Thanks
  • 1,123 posts

Posted October 06, 2013 - 07:36 PM

Don't through away those old bicycles, check around your area and there is probably an organization who will take them and either use them for parts or rebuild them for kid's that can't afford them.   Looking at all the pictures reminds me of my grandparents farm. They had a guest house filled with stuff.  Good luck on all your projects, looks like they will keep you busy for a while!  :D

Yes! In our area it is called "Yellow Bike". They make the most of every piece of salvaged bicycles parts and complete ones for underprivilaged, homeless or anyone that really needs a bike to get where they need to go. I have given them a lot of bikes. In my job I have to haul to the dump occasionally when the regular truck driver is sick or on vacation and it really upsets me seeing all the bikes people throw away that look perfectly fine. City policy will not allow anyone to salvage them. They get scrapped and probably sent to china.

Later---DAC
  • HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks

#13 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 11:33 AM

Dad was a maintenance man for a local bank for 50yrs, anytime they remodeled or pitched something, dad usually brought it home thinking someone could use it. He told mom he wished he had a big pole barn from all the stuff he couldn't bring home.

I have found it is not as emotional as it could be, most of the stuff was just "stuff" he brought home "just in case", I knew he had no real attachment to it. Now the Allis, he bought that when I was 2 and we moved to this house, I grew up on that thing, it will not being going anywhere. The green truck in the pictures will be sold, now I may have issues with that, it was his baby, but it is in sad shape and none of us have the money to put into it, needs tranny, brakes lines, it has no rocker panels, etc.

He gave me most of his "meaningful" stuff before he died, couple rings, tools, etc. Most of the other stuff will be sold if possible to help mom with bills and scrap the rest. I look at it as him providing for mom even after he is gone.

I cleaned it out enough to get his two LT tractors in the barn and out of house garage so we can clean it, but they will need to come back out to finish cleaning, I have waaaayyyy more to go in the barn. Then the old large cattle stall( 12x14)  is plumb full of lumber, boards, plywood, etc. :wallbanging:

Thankfully my son is a good worker once he decides to do it, he was with me the whole time. I think he enjoys the hidden treasures we find too.

Oh, I found a set of tractor tires chains hanging on the back wall. Gotta figure out how to measure them, but i think they will fit my 23 x 12 tractor tires BONUS!!! :rocker2:  They may have been for the Allis, but dad never used them.

As for the bikes, I have a neighbor who does flea markets and is constantly repairing bikes. I will give them to him. 2 of them are rusted beyond repair I think, but one is an old Sears woman's bike in decent condition, it may still have some value.

Sorry, no minibikes, I sold all my "toys" I had in there yeas ago.

The Allis is complete, I have grill/hood in barn. We took it apart after the rod broke, I had an old guy help me rebuild it ( dad was afraid to do it) and I was young and no knowledge, lasted 2 hrs maybe until rod snapped again. I think crank was bent or maybe needs turned and oversize rod installed. Got a buddy who I know rebuilds Kohlers that will help me out.

The Gravely ran at one time. Last time I tried, we had spark, could get couple fires on starter fluid, but never would start. I checked gas tank......WOOHOO, looks almost brand new in there, guess we were smart enough to drain it way back then. It will need a thorough going through, carb rebuild, etc.

hey Sarge...thanks for the idea, but butt might get a litlle hot from the fire underneath haha

Next Saturday, sisters and I are tackling the house garage. They have already started, but next weekend is big pushed to get cleaned out.

Anyone need an incinerator? Round Poker table? portable dance floor? nice table top?  I know there is more in there too! :smilewink:

Thanks for All the replies!!!! :thank_you:

Edited by TAHOE, October 07, 2013 - 11:36 AM.

• olcowhand, MH81, MFDAC and 1 other said thanks