314 Hydro

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rainman_210 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 32663
  • 22 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted October 05, 2013 - 03:58 PM

hi fellas, I was moving my 314 around this morning and I noticed the hydro did not appear working that well. when I take the lever out of neutral to go forward, I need to move it a good 1/2 to 1 inch up the slot before the tractor moves, and when it does its instant and jerks forward. the tractor has mixed oil in the transmission due to using an attachment that had regular jd hygard in its lines while the tractor had the red trans fluid in it. should I drain and change the oil?....from a few glances at archived discussions I notice that jd hygard low viscosity is recommended. thanks in advance for any advice

• JRJ said thank you

#2 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,586 Thanks
  • 3,739 posts

Posted October 05, 2013 - 08:26 PM

I would do a fluid and filter change on it and go with the Hy-Gard that is recommended.  I have Type F in the 120 but will get it changed when I get to a new place.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 06, 2013 - 06:35 AM

Jeremy, I would check the linkage for problems. The point where the linkage attaches to the transmission has a pin that goes through a hole in the transmission lever that controls speed. The hole wears on the lever and in both my 314 and 317 I've had to go to a 7/16" pin to get the slack out of it. There are a bunch of pivots in the linkage as well that can wear or could need lubrication. There is also a damper. It looks like a small shock absorber. If that is defective or the bushings that mount it are shot it will cause jerky operation.  As far as some hygard getting mixed in with the transmission fluid it's not an issue as both fluids are acceptable. Do you have the level tube and vent connected on your 314. Check the level and make sure the vent filter is not plugged. If the fluid is fresh I wouldn't think that a change is needed. Also check to make sure the bypass knob is all the way up. If you go to JDParts.com and do a model search for 314 you can pull up the diagrams for the linkage. It's a real contraption with lots of spots for problems to develop.