Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Gravely 424 Mower/tractor W/extra Deck And Parts (Ames, Ia)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 lyall OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,709 Thanks
  • 1,381 posts

Posted October 04, 2013 - 09:16 PM

1960's era Gravely 424 mower/tractor. 12 HP Kohler, starts right up, uses no oil. 4 speed transmission but only the high / low range in 1st gear currently works. I believe the linkage to the second set of gears needs adjustment. If you pry against the linkage, it wants to move in those gears. There's only one clutch for both ranges and that works fine. Does puddle a little gear oil from the transmission after it sits. Has a 44" shaft driven 3 blade deck. This tractor is well used and loose---it'll probably only last another 25 years! I've had it for the last 20 and used it to mow the steepest one acre in Iowa. I only mow the hill two or three times a year but this is the only machine that will climb it as well as keep the grass down. The engine is between the rear wheels for un-matchable traction. It has ag-type bar tires on the rear. Comes with a complete but dis-assembled --newer 40" deck (taken apart to weld a crack) and an extra Delco starter-generator assembly. If you've got a STEEP patch to mow---this gets it done. Maybe not in style but it gets it done. 

Price: $500