• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted October 04, 2013 - 08:59 PM

On my way to work there's a mower repair shop that I can pass if I take a different route and parked out front are some of the mtd made lawn tractors so I never really bothered to stop. Well I've been looking for a mower deck for the green weenie (AKA  turf trac) since itll be my main mower. On the way to work this morning I seen tucked underneath a pine tree I seen a familiar sight. The front end of a old style mtd like mine!! :D Well after I got off work I was afraid the shop was closed but I stopped anyways and looked at it. Well after pulling into the parking lot the owner who lives next door came out to greet me. This wasn't a 990 like what I have, it had smaller rear tires and was gear driven and had the mower deck with it. I had heard rumors about how expensive everything at this place was so I was expecting a big price tag and boy was I right. He said he didn't really want to part with it but I asked him what it would take for him to let it go. He came right out and said 400$. Are you serious????! I about died standing there and just shook my head. So after talking to him for a bit we both walked around his collection in his field (sorry guys forgot to take pictures but there wasn't much to be honest). He had a few gravelys, 3 cubs, very few sears, and the rest was mid to late 70's and 80's MTD products. But I could tell it was his personal collection just by the way he priced things. Here's a few prices that threw me into shock: 

1974 sears st10. Had some rust on it but no mower deck but had the 3 point. Asking price: 700$

19?? wheel horse c121. Ugly looking thing. Primer white with no motor or mower deck. Asking price: 500$

1970? Simplicity 728. Looks complete and original other than carb missing. I made an offer of 150$. His reaction? Ended up hurting his feelings.

There were a few more items but were mostly the MTD products. I can tell he didn't really want to sell any of them which is why he priced everything so high. So none the less im quite sure that I wont be back anytime soon because of these prices. Nice guy but at those prices im not ready to do business.

• tinbender7, HDWildBill, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted October 04, 2013 - 10:11 PM

Whew, prices go up after hours? Here I thought I was collecting, actually I may be investing :rolling:
  • Dieselcubmike said thank you

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted October 05, 2013 - 07:32 AM

I think the principle there is that the man thinks he loves what he has, and the only way for you to have it is to love it much more than he does with a whole heck of a wad of cash!

Ben W.

• Alc and Dieselcubmike have said thanks

#4 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted October 05, 2013 - 07:38 AM

"Visited A Local Tractor Salvage Yard"

no, you visited a local tractor collector (like most on here) :D

• Dieselcubmike said thank you

#5 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted October 05, 2013 - 09:17 AM

Sounds like an American Picker episode!  :smilewink:

#6 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted October 05, 2013 - 03:51 PM

The guy obviously did not want to sell anything with prices like that!

#7 BillTribbitt OFFLINE  

BillTribbitt
  • Member No: 48427
  • 51 Thanks
  • 56 posts

Posted October 23, 2013 - 08:44 PM

There's a guy  just above the TN-KY line around Middleton KY. He's got several Sears and wheelhorse tractors. Next time I go by I'll take some pics. It's just a GT junkyard. I traded for a newer DR mower last year. He's pretty easy to deal with. 

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#8 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted October 23, 2013 - 09:02 PM

His prices will be MUCH cheaper at the estate auction =]