• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 thom OFFLINE  

thom
  • Member No: 33353
  • 305 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted October 04, 2013 - 07:18 PM

Picked this up yesterday. It was brought to the local scrapyard probably because someone thought the engine was locked up. The belt was stuck to the pulley. I reached under and shook the belt to free it up. The engine has been replaced with a 1995 model. I have not yet tried to start it. I will probably try it tomorrow.

simp728_zps6c895b7a.jpeg

• HDWildBill, boyscout862, A.C.T. and 2 others have said thanks

#2 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted October 04, 2013 - 07:47 PM

Great bargain there!  You are a lucky guy. These people not so much......

MbbDz.jpg

imagesCALQ8105.jpg

imagesCA39EV94.jpg

imagesCA4O7J15.jpg

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,701 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted October 04, 2013 - 07:51 PM

Looks like you got a nice deal.  Let us know how it runs tomorrow.

#4 thom OFFLINE  

thom
  • 305 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted October 04, 2013 - 08:13 PM

I quit messing with the 5010 that I bought a few months ago because I couldn't get the clutch and brakes adjusted right. I hope the adjustment is good on this one. I cannot find the info anywhere on the adjusment that I looked at before. I did not bookmark it for some reason (probably forgot). Can someone direct me to it? Thanks.

#5 thom OFFLINE  

thom
  • 305 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted October 05, 2013 - 05:43 PM

The 728 runs great as long as the choke is closed. Before I tried to start it I removed the tank and cleaned it. I also thoroughly cleaned the carb and replaced the fuel line. The engine , being a 1995 model has no fuel adjustment screw in the carb, only an air screw. I suppose I'll tear the carb apart again although I can't imagine what else I can do to it. It is like my 5010 , worthless until I learn how to do the brake/clutch adjustments. It can not be put into any gear as it is. Mostly it cleaned up nice though.Any suggestions about the carb problem? Thanks.

#6 thom OFFLINE  

thom
  • 305 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted October 06, 2013 - 07:20 PM

I found the adjustment instructions at onlinemanuals.com With the adjustments done as the manual says the tractor will still not go into gear. It grinds badly when I try. Obviously the brake is not stopping the driven pulley from turning. I wil look into tightening the brake band. Any suggedtions? Thanks.

#7 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 08:40 AM

I'm pretty sure my Homesteader is the same belt setup as your 5010, they used that design for quite a few years.  If so, it shouldn't be the brake that's the problem.  If your input pulley is still being driven when the clutch is in, you'll never get it to shift properly.  The belt shouldn't be moving at all when the clutch is in.  It's been a while since I went through the adjustment process but I do remember that the belt guides at the engine pulley were critical to getting the belt to pucker and stay slack on the pulley.  They have to be in place and they have to be adjusted just right.  You might want to check a parts manual to make sure yours are all there.

#8 thom OFFLINE  

thom
  • 305 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 07:27 PM

Thanks. I will definately check those guides.