Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Trying Out A Few Different O S Distro's

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted October 12, 2013 - 11:24 AM

Before there was openSuSe I used SuSe for quite some time. The thing with SuSe or Fedora (Red Hat) is you do need to have a degree of technical expertise to get everything working.  Especially Codec's & multimedia in Fedora.  Ubuntu family of distro's work pretty much out of the box.  Once in a while you see a problem with video, sound or more often wireless adapter. 

My experience with using AMD chips has been the opposite to Travis' experience.  Back when AMD was first starting out and Linux was still a young pup I think there were a few problems but all of my computers, with the exception of the laptop I just got from our granddaughter, are AMD processors.  I usually lean towards AMD because they are cheaper and IMO do just as well as Intel.  But this is just my experience and everyone's mileage may very.

• Texas Deere and Horse and SupplySergeant have said thanks

#17 SupplySergeant OFFLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 45293
  • 1,084 Thanks
  • 658 posts

Posted October 12, 2013 - 04:00 PM

Before there was openSuSe I used SuSe for quite some time. The thing with SuSe or Fedora (Red Hat) is you do need to have a degree of technical expertise to get everything working.  Especially Codec's & multimedia in Fedora.  Ubuntu family of distro's work pretty much out of the box.  Once in a while you see a problem with video, sound or more often wireless adapter. 

My experience with using AMD chips has been the opposite to Travis' experience.  Back when AMD was first starting out and Linux was still a young pup I think there were a few problems but all of my computers, with the exception of the laptop I just got from our granddaughter, are AMD processors.  I usually lean towards AMD because they are cheaper and IMO do just as well as Intel.  But this is just my experience and everyone's mileage may very.

I haven't had any issues with AMD in years, but I've mostly been using Linux as a basic Windows replacement, nothing too advanced. My current router is the most difficult setup I've done. It's an IBM (pre-Lenovo!) Thinkpad R60, and getting a PCI Ethernet card to work along with the built-in one was non-trivial. Does an excellent job now, though!

My next odd-ball will be to use an ARM-based distro, not sure what hardware yet.

#18 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted October 12, 2013 - 08:09 PM

Sarge, here are a few links that may help you out on the Arm-base.  The one on a home made server I read a while back and thought it was pretty neat.  A full enterprise server at a very low cost.  I think you could build the whole thing for around $200 and you could have a file, print server or multimedia.  

This is the article from Distowatch  and this is the article at Linux Journal they refer to.  This is the home page of Raspbian it is based off Debian which I think is good since you should be familiar with the Debian architecture since Ubnutu is also based off Debian.

I may try it one of these days for a file server. Have Fun!

• SupplySergeant said thank you

#19 SupplySergeant OFFLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 45293
  • 1,084 Thanks
  • 658 posts

Posted October 12, 2013 - 08:20 PM

Sarge, here are a few links that may help you out on the Arm-base.  The one on a home made server I read a while back and thought it was pretty neat.  A full enterprise server at a very low cost.  I think you could build the whole thing for around $200 and you could have a file, print server or multimedia.  

This is the article from Distowatch  and this is the article at Linux Journal they refer to.  This is the home page of Raspbian it is based off Debian which I think is good since you should be familiar with the Debian architecture since Ubnutu is also based off Debian.

I may try it one of these days for a file server. Have Fun!

Thanks! RaspberryPi is a strong contender, since they are cheap and all kinds of hardware has been connected. I may just build a RepRap though.
  • HDWildBill said thank you