• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 03, 2013 - 06:07 PM

With the help of HDWildBill, I am running a couple different OS Distro's to try them out. I have Zorin and also Ubuntu LXLE and I have to say that I am really happy with both of them. I am going to play with them both and look at which one fits my needs best. I have 3 Pentium 4 XP machines that I will be changing over one of these.

If you have any input, PLEASE post it here. I want to hear what Y'all think..

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,489 Thanks
  • 39,723 posts

Posted October 03, 2013 - 06:13 PM

If I knew what these were like, I might try one. But I don't want to mess up what I have!

#3 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9589
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted October 03, 2013 - 06:47 PM

kenny, you can run a live cd and not hurt your set up

running a live cd does nothing to your system. i have a stack of 100 live cds i have tried over the years with out installing a one of the. when your down all you have to do is reboot , take the cd out and your back to your regular system. 

• Texas Deere and Horse and HDWildBill have said thanks

#4 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted October 03, 2013 - 08:13 PM

Kenny, as DS said you can either burn it to a DVD or to a USB drive.  Boot to which ever media you choose and play with the distro to you hearts content.  Then tell it to shut down and a message will appear will appear that tell you to take the disc out and hit enter. When it reboots you're right back where were in Windows.  This is what Brian is doing trying to determine which distro fit's his needs the best.  

One word of caution; when running off the DVD the system will be noticeably slower then when it is installed on the hard drive.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#5 SupplySergeant ONLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 45293
  • 1,084 Thanks
  • 658 posts

Posted October 06, 2013 - 09:54 PM

Yep, the LiveCD option is really necessary in Linux, since different distros can be wildly different. I personally use Lubuntu 13.04 on older machines, seems to run really stable. Lubuntu is really lightweight, it doesn't put much demand on system resources.

#6 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted October 11, 2013 - 12:32 PM

Linux mint is my fav. Ubuntu is a close second. I have also tried puppy Linux on older machines and it is fast as the full os loads into ram. My complaint is that it is harder to configure the wireless adApters I have.

#7 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted October 11, 2013 - 03:19 PM

Yep, the LiveCD option is really necessary in Linux, since different distros can be wildly different. I personally use Lubuntu 13.04 on older machines, seems to run really stable. Lubuntu is really lightweight, it doesn't put much demand on system resources.

Sarge, check out LXLE.  It is based on LUbuntu but the art work is fantastic and I think it runs a bit faster.  It doesn't bill itself as a remake of LUbuntu but rather a refinement.  I have it installed on our granddaughters old laptop and so far I have really enjoyed it.

• Trav1s and SupplySergeant have said thanks

#8 SupplySergeant ONLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 45293
  • 1,084 Thanks
  • 658 posts

Posted October 11, 2013 - 03:22 PM

rSarge, check out LXLE.  It is based on LUbuntu but the art work is fantastic and I think it runs a bit faster.  It doesn't bill itself as a remake of LUbuntu but rather a refinement.  I have it installed on our granddaughters old laptop and so far I have really enjoyed it.

Thanks, I'll build a LiveCD on my next day off. I must admit, I have as much fun making multiple OS's work as I do using the computer!

I think my next big computer project will be trying FreeBSD, in the form of pfSense for my router setup. I useit IPCop right now, but I'm not happy with the fact it seems to be at end-of-life, and the logging leaves much to be desired.

Edited by SupplySergeant, October 11, 2013 - 03:24 PM.

#9 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted October 11, 2013 - 04:48 PM

I've thought about playing around with FreeBSD.  I need to make a new test computer so I can check out the different OS's.  Another one that I would like to check is Haiku it is trying to revive the BEOS which from what I understand was ahead of it's time and just didn't catch on.

• Texas Deere and Horse and SupplySergeant have said thanks

#10 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 11, 2013 - 04:49 PM

Question Guys, What is the difference between Direct and Torrent Down load versions? LXLE can be Downloaded either way.

#11 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted October 11, 2013 - 06:15 PM

Direct is a file download from one central host.  The torrent version shares the download bandwidth between sites that share hosting in the "torrent" network.

#12 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted October 11, 2013 - 06:32 PM

OK, I'll be the first to admit that I am not a computer nut, operator, programmer, and barely a competent turn oner. That said, why in heck try and fix what is not broken. My neighbor is an absolute 40 years in the business dyed in the wool computer, for lack of words, wizard. Almost every day he wants to "upgrade" my system. I can compete with NASA for computer telemenentry if I only knew how to accsess it. Do we need all this. I made him reinstaal windows 7. I could live another 50 years and not master it,

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#13 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted October 11, 2013 - 07:38 PM

Brian, Travis is right.  A direct download will download a complete file, in this case the ISO image.  A torrent file on the other hand is a file a bit torrent program will use to download a file bit's by bit's from different computers running the torrent program.  These computers are called seeds.  When the torrent program has all the bit's it reassembly's it into the ISO image. A seed computer can be either a server or a personal computer allowing others access to there file (ISO image).  The key is you have to have a Torrent program installed on your computer.  

GP if you want to deal with consent reboot's, viruses, malware, spyware, paying for all you applications then that is fine. Bill Gates appreciates your loyalty.  I hate to bust your bubble but not all of NASA's computers run Windows, most of their servers run Linux, it is more reliable.

• Texas Deere and Horse and SupplySergeant have said thanks

#14 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted October 12, 2013 - 08:34 AM

http://distrowatch.c...?resource=major

http://www.puppylinux.com/about.htm

I have messed with OpenSuse, Fedora, and Redhat (a long time ago).  

#15 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted October 12, 2013 - 08:37 AM

Another bit of information to consider when playing with Linux:  Intel chipsets are easier to work with than others.  My experience using AMD processors (and related chipsets) has been frustrating for me as I don't want to tweak to make it work.