Looks good Mike.Your really doing a nice job. :thumbs:  :thumbs:

• mike912e said thank you

#47 Cublover OFFLINE  

Cublover
  • Member No: 9512
  • 90 Thanks
  • 110 posts

Posted January 21, 2014 - 10:42 PM

Mike, You are doing that 124 justice. Can't wait to see it done.

#48 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • Member No: 14152
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted January 22, 2014 - 03:01 PM

Not much progress to report , but I did manage to get her down on the ground . The remaining work can all be done there . I still have to purchase the headlight assembly and switch . My very young and strong nephew is coming over this evening to help remove the exhaust elbow from the old engine . If anyone's interested, the cheapest elbow I've been able to find on the net was $105.00 ! I'll be needing it when I purchase the new muffler . No one said this hobby was inexpensive ( notice I didn't say cheap ! ) .

One of the setscrews in the PTO pulley basket is stripped out and will need to have a nut welded to it for removal . Then maybe the basket can be removed so that I can beadblast the outside of the engine and paint it . I have a powdercoated basket sitting on the shelf waiting to be installed on this engine . I'll take the one I've removed and get it powder-coated for the 104's engine . Sure was nice of Cub to make some of the parts interchange from one tractor to another .

Attached Thumbnails

• 124 back on the ground 1-22-14 001.JPG
  • 124 back on the ground 1-22-14 002.JPG

• MH81 and LTD have said thanks

#49 JoeMopar OFFLINE  

JoeMopar
  • Member No: 52259
  • 470 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted January 22, 2014 - 04:31 PM

Looks great Mike. I have a question looking at your wheel weights. Does the weights / rims paint wear from them making contact together or is there a trick to installing them ?

#50 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted January 22, 2014 - 07:09 PM

Looks great Mike. I have a question looking at your wheel weights. Does the weights / rims paint wear from them making contact together or is there a trick to installing them ?

Actually there is very little contact area between the rim and the weight . The trick is to keep the bolts nice and tight so there's no movement . I use locknuts . Most owners use two bolts as they are expensive ( what isn't on these things ) but there are holes for four bolts, which would probably be the right way to attach the weights .

• JoeMopar said thank you

#51 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 11:05 AM

Actually there is very little contact area between the rim and the weight . The trick is to keep the bolts nice and tight so there's no movement . I use locknuts . Most owners use two bolts as they are expensive ( what isn't on these things ) but there are holes for four bolts, which would probably be the right way to attach the weights .

Joe,

Here are two pictures showing the backside of the weight and the front/outside of the wheel rim . The only contact point between the rim and the weight are the outside edge flat area on the back of the weight and the rim's surface where the valve stem exits . Notice the two notches in the outer edge of the weight which is made to provide access to the air valve when the weight is installed on the wheel . If the bolts were loose then there could be some rubbing between the two, but only slightly . As long as the bolts ( either two or four ) are tight no damage should occur .

Attached Thumbnails

• Cub wheel weight and rim 002.JPG
  • Cub wheel weight and rim 003.JPG

#52 JoeMopar OFFLINE  

JoeMopar
  • 470 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 06:50 PM

Joe,

Here are two pictures showing the backside of the weight and the front/outside of the wheel rim . The only contact point between the rim and the weight are the outside edge flat area on the back of the weight and the rim's surface where the valve stem exits . Notice the two notches in the outer edge of the weight which is made to provide access to the air valve when the weight is installed on the wheel . If the bolts were loose then there could be some rubbing between the two, but only slightly . As long as the bolts ( either two or four ) are tight no damage should occur .

Ok, gotcha Mike. Wasn't sure if it was worth putting any kind of protective tape on the inside of the weight, but they look good. Are those wheels painted or powder coated ?

#53 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 07:46 PM

Ok, gotcha Mike. Wasn't sure if it was worth putting any kind of protective tape on the inside of the weight, but they look good. Are those wheels painted or powder coated ?

Powder coated . A little advise should you go that route ; install a tube in the tire . I found that a tubeless tire would not seal to the smooth finish of the powder coat on the rim ( leaks air when fully inflated ) . As you know, most regularly finished rims are somewhat rough which helps the tire seal against it . At least rough enough to provide the needed friction between the tire and rim. 

As long as any two surfaces can't/don't move against each other there should be no damage to either surface .

Joe , I hope this helps .

• Jlaws and JoeMopar have said thanks

#54 Jlaws OFFLINE  

Jlaws
  • Member No: 31172
  • 543 Thanks
  • 366 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 04:13 PM

Mike , NICE!!!!

I just found this thread and I'm really impressed with the extra effort you've put into this project .

While I'm not a big cub zig zag model fan , I can appreciate the meticulous detail and extra mile you've gone in restoring your 124 , and applaud your work  . :worshippy1:

#55 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 09:34 AM

Jlaws,

Thank you . Here's a few pics of my first Cub restoration , a model 72 .

Attached Thumbnails

• Cub Cadet model #73 beginning pictures 3-17-2010 003.jpg
  • Cub Cadet model #73 beginning pictures 3-17-2010 005.jpg
  • Cub Cadet model #72 beginning pictures 3-17-2010 006.jpg
  • Cub Cadet model #73 beginning pictures 3-17-2010 007.jpg
  • Cub 72.JPG
  • Cub 72-1.JPG

• MH81, Cublover, Rock farmer and 1 other said thanks

#56 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 02:30 PM

This week's goal : Get the engine cleaned up and painted . I did manage to get the PTO basket/pulley removed thanks to a friend of mine . One of the setscrews' head had stripped out and there was no way to remove it . I took the complete engine over to his shop and he used a small nut welded to the damaged screw . He was able, after ten tries, to attach the nut to just the damaged screw . The nut, plus the heat, allowed the screw to be turned and finally removed from the pulley's hub . The pulley was bead blasted, along with some of the PTO parts and is now hanging behind the wood stove in the kitchen drying . I have managed to seal all the openings in the engine except for the vented plate on the side of the engine just behind the governor arm . I have already removed the head and wire-brushed the combustion chamber to remove the build-up of carbon . There's no step around the top of the cylinder so no further work needs to be done to the inside of the engine . Should run okay . The carb has been rebuilt and will be ready to install on the engine as soon as I get it cleaned and painted . I'll have to pull the car out of the garage to prevent overspray . Last year I made that mistake and had to wipe the entire car down with paint thinner ! All the sheet metal pieces for the engine are already powder coated or painted . So I'm getting closer to getting the engine installed in the 124 . Working in a very cold, unheated garage sucks . Just have to keep chipping away at it a little every day .

The Porsche is my daily driver no matter what the weather ! It's a 912E . Look it up and see how rare this car is ! Just turned 95,000 miles and it's 38 years old . Love climbing out of it with my bib overalls on and watching the looks on the faces ! Priceless ! LOL

Attached Thumbnails

• Cub parts drying 001.JPG
  • Cub parts drying 002.JPG
  • Cub parts drying 003.JPG
  • Pic taken at today's car show 6-8-13 001.JPG

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner, Sawdust and JoeMopar have said thanks

#57 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted February 02, 2014 - 11:51 AM

Making a little progress on the engine . Cleaned up as well as possible and primed and painted, two coats Cub yellow 759-3258 . Starting to attach things like the rebuilt carburetor , front pulley, governor arm , rear screen and pulley . Sorry for the dark pics . The garage feels like a cave sometimes, especially during the winter because I have to keep the door closed . I should have the motor installed in the frame in a couple of days, depending on the weather . They're calling for snow over the next couple of days so it will be playing with the Cub 2206 w/snow thrower . Here's a few pics of the engine progress so far :

Attached Thumbnails

• Prepping K-301 engine for installation into the 124 Cub 001.JPG
  • Prepping K-301 engine for installation into the 124 Cub 002.JPG
  • Prepping K-301 engine for installation into the 124 Cub 003.JPG

• Sawdust and JoeMopar have said thanks

#58 JoeMopar OFFLINE  

JoeMopar
  • 470 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted February 02, 2014 - 11:56 AM

Looks good Mike. Question . Were all Cub engines suppose to be yellow ? Just certain models, years, or engines ? Curious because the motor in my 1200 is black, so is that correct or a replacement engine ?

#59 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted February 02, 2014 - 03:45 PM

Looks good Mike. Question . Were all Cub engines suppose to be yellow ? Just certain models, years, or engines ? Curious because the motor in my 1200 is black, so is that correct or a replacement engine ?

From what I know, the older Cubs, mostly narrow frames were all yellow except for the black floor rests , the white hood and the silver grill screen . I purchased a brochure for the 72 to 105 Cubs and they all appear to be painted yellow after they were completely assembled ( except for the hood , footrests , grill ) . The pictures on the brochure show the engine and wiring all painted yellow , making it tough to trace out wires since they were all yellow ! I would guess that when they were bought out by MTD the engine color changed to all black . The later wide frames are not my area of expertise, yet . Were all the K series engine painted yellow ? I'll ask that question to one of the F/B groups I belong to and see what answer we get . To be continued..............

#60 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted February 02, 2014 - 03:52 PM

Here's a starter group on Facebook : https://www.facebook...ctorCollectors/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cub cadet, cub cadet 124 restoration, powdercoating