• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#16 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • Member No: 14152
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted October 12, 2013 - 09:52 AM

Been working on a little snafu that raised it's ugly head a few days ago . It seems that I missed a broken 1/4-20" diameter screw that was left in during powder-coating in the grille casting . I tried drilling it out but with lousy luck . Finally decided to install a 3/8-16" threaded insert . I had a tough time tapping the center 1/4-20" center hole even though I had used locktite to secure the insert in the casting . In desperation I clamped a 3/8-16" diameter bolt in the vise and drilled and tapped the center deep enough so that it would hold the headlight assembly . I installed the bolt into the 3/8" tapped hole in the casting, tightening it until it sheared off . I then filed the broken shaft down to the casting surface, primed and painted to match . 

I also installed the hood latch pieces to the sides of the battery tray . Interesting that I never noticed that the screw heads have the " I H " logo on their top surface . Thanks to a wire brush in my drill I was able to discover the logo . Normally I would have thrown them out and purchased new ones at the local hardware store . 

I also started working on the mule drive latch . It really didn't fit very well and I attributed that to the extra thickness caused by the powder-coat . Turns out that the latch bracket was racked to one side . I removed some of the powder-coat on the two flat sections and installed the part . Then with my rubber mallet I removed the racked condition . Seems I misplaced the two springs . Probably with the things at the powder-coaters . 

Last weekend I went to Steam-o-rama and was able to purchase a pair of fenders, seat base and clutch scatter shield that were in great shape for a fair price . They are now at the powder-coaters and will be used on my next restoration project ; my Cub 104 .

I hope everyone is enjoying the great fall weather . In South-central Pennsylvania we had over seven inches of rain the last two days with more rain predicted for today and tomorrow .

Mike

• Sawdust said thank you

#17 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted October 24, 2013 - 08:12 PM

Update :

Waiting for the usually fast powdercoater to get the last batch done . They are apparently busy as the parts won't be done until Monday the 28th . I'm also waiting for the silkscreener to get a new stamp pad . I'm having the transmission tag printed with the Cub/IH info as per factory . The tag can't be silkscreened due to the tractor's serial number is stamped from the backside of the tag and the numbers are raised above the tag's surface . The stamp pad he had wasn't big enough to do the Cub tag . I'll post pics when I have the new tag in hand .

In the mean time I've been pricing a decal set for my 2206 , including the snowthrower, rotortiller and 48" mower deck . The only available source that I've been able to find so far is from Cub cadet . Just the tractor set is $105 . All of the paint on all four pieces is chipping/flaking off . I plan, pending available funds from my allowance provider , on doing the mower deck first as it's currently off of the tractor . I'll strip it down and get my powdercoater to help match the newer Cadet paint color with a matching powdercoat color . The mower spindle's bearings are replaceable which should save me some money . I try to plan at least a year ahead for my next project . Gives me time to shop around for the best quality and lowest prices . Being on a fixed income paces my project's completion . All I have to do is win the lottery !

More to follow...............

Mike

#18 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 10:39 AM

Last batch of parts back from the powdercoater . I'll spend today cleaning up the tape residue and then start to assemble the subassemblies : starter/generator, creeper gear , etc, etc, etc . You might notice the extra parts . They will be for my next project , my 104 Cadet . I'll post pics and detail information about the reassembly of the components as it progresses .

Attached Thumbnails

• Cub 124 parts back from powdercoating.JPG
  • Cub 124 parts back from powdercoating2.JPG

• Cat385B said thank you

#19 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted November 01, 2013 - 09:53 AM

Progress so far this week . Assembled and installed the creeper gear . Unfortunately the ball bearing fell out of the handle detent and I had to remove the unit from the tractor , re-install the ball and put the whole unit back into the tractor . I also reassembled the shifter , that spring and pin are a bugger . And sat it aside for after the transmission is refilled with fresh oil . I'm in the process of putting the rear cover plate back onto the transmission . Just waiting for the paint to dry on the three lower bolts that secure the tow plate and the bottom three-point hitch bracket . Still cleaning the tape residue from the remaining parts and will post more pics as things progress .

Attached Thumbnails

• Cub 124 creeper gear 001.JPG
  • Cub 124 creeper gear 002.JPG
  • Cub 124 creeper gear 003.JPG
  • Cub 124 creeper gear 004.JPG
  • Cub 124 creeper gear 005.JPG
  • Cub 124 shifter 002.JPG

• IHCubGuy said thank you

#20 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted November 01, 2013 - 10:27 PM

Looking good Mike.

• mike912e said thank you

#21 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,486 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted November 02, 2013 - 08:48 AM

Sweet! Gonna be sweet lookin' Cub!

#22 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 04:40 PM

Today's effort ! The fenders and seat base are now permanently mounted . Like the rest of the tractor, it's all powder-coat except for some of the bolt heads and washers . I think the next item to be installed should be the new wiring harness which I have yet to purchase . I also need a new key switch . The solenoid and coil have been painted as is the volt/amp meter back . The implement handle and hood ornament should be ready to pick up at the chrome-platers soon .

Attached Thumbnails

• Cub 124 seat base and fenders mounted permanately 001.JPG
  • Cub 124 seat base and fenders mounted permanately 002.JPG

#23 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted November 08, 2013 - 07:38 PM

Got a little done this week . Ordered the tires and tubes, decal set, wire harness set and reproduction shift knob . Also ordered the rebuild parts for the starter/generators . I like to do two at a time as my 104 will be the next restoration project . My silk screener said that he has a proof ready to look at for the transmission plates ( tractor serial number plate ) .  I'll stop by Monday to check them out .

I installed the footrests, fenders and seat base as well as the rear panel between the fenders . Th driveline is assembled and installed, just waiting for the funds to purchase a new clutch disk . Once all of this work is done I will try to purchase a headlight assembly, get it powder-coated and installed in the grille . I have attached pics of progress so far . I welcome any feedback . 

Attached Thumbnails

• This week's progress on the old 124 001.JPG
  • This week's progress on the old 124 002.JPG
  • This week's progress on the old 124 003.JPG
  • This week's progress on the old 124 004.JPG
  • This week's progress on the old 124 005.JPG
  • This week's progress on the old 124 006.JPG

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner and JoeMopar have said thanks

#24 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 03:45 PM

Making a little progress . Mounted all four wheels and tires . Installed the clutch parts . Started running the wire harness . Waiting for the dash decal , then install the dash panel, steering tube and amp meter . I'll probably hang the hood and add the side stripes after the dash is installed permanently . I still need to purchase a complete headlight assembly and get the detailed parts powder-coated . I usually save the engine for last . Also waiting for the implement handle to come back from the chromers and the tractor's identification tag back from the silkscreener . Still have lots of work to do and to spend more money too !

Attached Thumbnails

• Clutch mechanics installed.JPG
  • Cub 124 back on her wheels 001.JPG
  • Cub 124 back on her wheels 002.JPG
  • Cub 124 back on her wheels 003.JPG
  • underseat toolbox.JPG
  • waiting for the decal set.JPG
  • Waiting for the handle to come back from chroming.JPG

#25 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted November 22, 2013 - 08:17 PM

Update for this week . The decal set arrived and the dash decal has been installed . The only change I would make for the next one ( my 104 ) would be to achieve a better finish on the dash for the area under where the decal will be mounted . Any imperfections show up . I also installed the implement lift handle that came back from the chrome shop . I also had the hood ornament chromed and have it mounted on the hood . I will be installing the hood and dash side stripes after the rubber vibration pieces have been installed on the dash tabs and grille tab . They will raise the hood up slightly and attaching the side decals first would cause them to be out of alignment . Does anyone know what the factory dimension is for the hood or dash decal location , up from the lower edge ? I have ordered the pin, spring and lock assembly for the implement handle and that will complete that subassembly . I also plan on attaching the remainder of the decals this weekend and complete installing and routing the wiring . The list of things to do is getting shorter ! 

Attached Thumbnails

• Cub 124 Dash with new decal and chromed lift handle 002.JPG

#26 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted November 22, 2013 - 08:38 PM

Wow. Yep, that's all I got. WOW.    :worshippy1:

#27 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted November 26, 2013 - 11:13 AM

Installed the hood side decals last evening . ( Oh how I love working in a cold garage ! ) . I finished the wiring inside the dash for now and have installed the steering column . Still have to attach the steering rod to the base of the column . For the hood pads , here is how I do them ; I cut small squares of sheet rubber about 1" square , The sheet is 1/16" thick . I glue them to the tops of their metal pads and then use black heat shrink tubing to further secure them in place . The heat shrink adds a little extra wear thickness and ensures the rubber will stay in place . I've been contemplating developing some kind of hood support rod to hold it open and still prevent it from flipping over to the front of the grill casting . It chips the powder coating on the grill and dents the edge of the hood . Maybe a simple 1/4" diameter steel rod with zee bends on either end . One end along the side of the upright of the battery tray and the other end through a hole in the hood baffle . Might find a metal spring clip to store it in on the hood baffle . Just something simple and reliable  .

Attached Thumbnails

• Hood decals are installed 001.JPG
  • Hood decals are installed 002.JPG

#28 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted November 27, 2013 - 01:47 PM

Started cleaning and painting the PTO parts . I have them primed and the top coat of paint applied . They are drying in my specially built and heated drying room ( LOL) . I have them hanging on a pipe clamp behind my wood-burning cook stove in the kitchen ! ( See attached picture for proof ) . It's too cold in the garage and the paint would take a week to dry . Next Monday I'll be picking up my implement handle parts from the local Cub dealer , then I can finish that sub-assembly . Neither rain, nor snow, nor dread of night will keep us restorers from working through it all . This stuff is getting to be a habit ! I still have a few decals to apply . I also have a small basket of parts to deliver to the powdercoater in the next week or so . Most of these parts will be for my 104 Cub which will be next fall's project . 

Attached Thumbnails

• Parts drying rack ! 001.JPG

• KennyP and New.Canadian.DB.Owner have said thanks

#29 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted November 29, 2013 - 02:49 PM

A little progress today . Installed the Delco-remy tags on the two starters , one for this Cub ( 124 ) and one for my next restoration ,my 104 . I also dipped the PTO handle and am on the hunt for new screw and bushing for the handle . Both are NLA !

I purchased 500 1/8" by 1/4" drive screws online and had a friend turn a set for driving them in . I didn't want to flatten the heads or leave ring marks on the tags . Note that the starter-generators are powder-coated . I plan on running them without the belt and remove the coating that's in the vee of the pulleys . If I didn't remove the coating it would melt just from the belt's friction and make a big mess ! Experience talking here ! Paint would have just worn off, but the thicker powder-coating melts at temperatures over 350 degrees .

Also remember that the powder-coat does not conduct electricity . Since the tractor's frame is one side of the circuit, a path has to be provided, so I remove the coating under screw heads and run taps through holes to guaranty conductivity .

Both starters have been completely rebuilt with new bearing and brushes as well as new brush springs . They were tested before disassemble to ensure that the winding/coils were all functioning properly, so they were reused . 

Attached Thumbnails

• Cub starter-generator i.d tags for 124 and 104 001.JPG
  • Cub starter-generator i.d tags for 124 and 104 002.JPG
  • Cub starter-generator i.d tags for 124 and 104 004.JPG

#30 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted November 29, 2013 - 07:36 PM

Mike when you get done with these two projects I have about a dozen I will send down your way to have redone.  Is your labor rate reasonable?  LOL!!!!  Your work is just AWESOME!  The detail and extent that you go to is amazing.  Keep up the good work.

Edited by IHCubGuy, November 29, 2013 - 07:37 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cub cadet, cub cadet 124 restoration, powdercoating