Been working on a little snafu that raised it's ugly head a few days ago . It seems that I missed a broken 1/4-20" diameter screw that was left in during powder-coating in the grille casting . I tried drilling it out but with lousy luck . Finally decided to install a 3/8-16" threaded insert . I had a tough time tapping the center 1/4-20" center hole even though I had used locktite to secure the insert in the casting . In desperation I clamped a 3/8-16" diameter bolt in the vise and drilled and tapped the center deep enough so that it would hold the headlight assembly . I installed the bolt into the 3/8" tapped hole in the casting, tightening it until it sheared off . I then filed the broken shaft down to the casting surface, primed and painted to match .
I also installed the hood latch pieces to the sides of the battery tray . Interesting that I never noticed that the screw heads have the " I H " logo on their top surface . Thanks to a wire brush in my drill I was able to discover the logo . Normally I would have thrown them out and purchased new ones at the local hardware store .
I also started working on the mule drive latch . It really didn't fit very well and I attributed that to the extra thickness caused by the powder-coat . Turns out that the latch bracket was racked to one side . I removed some of the powder-coat on the two flat sections and installed the part . Then with my rubber mallet I removed the racked condition . Seems I misplaced the two springs . Probably with the things at the powder-coaters .
Last weekend I went to Steam-o-rama and was able to purchase a pair of fenders, seat base and clutch scatter shield that were in great shape for a fair price . They are now at the powder-coaters and will be used on my next restoration project ; my Cub 104 .
I hope everyone is enjoying the great fall weather . In South-central Pennsylvania we had over seven inches of rain the last two days with more rain predicted for today and tomorrow .