#1 LilysDad OFFLINE  

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,232 Thanks
  • 7,465 posts

Posted October 02, 2013 - 07:36 PM

Does anyone here cook and eat fox squirrels? I'd like to know if grey squirrels are worth fixing or are they just too small?

Yes, I know they're cute.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#2 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted October 02, 2013 - 08:13 PM

They sure do around here.  Fried, crock potted, all kinds of ways.  One man recently told me that there is nothing that beats squirrel gravey.  Fry it up, take the drippings and make gravey.  Best thing in the world he says.  Myself, haven't tried it yet.

• LilysDad said thank you

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,688 Thanks
  • 28,330 posts

Posted October 02, 2013 - 08:20 PM

I've never had it, but I did a little googling. The experts I found say they are inedible, nasty, not worth the effort and potentially deadly if ingested. I am a little suspect of their research and credentials tho. Here are pics of the experts whose opinions I question...
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  • twostep, LilysDad, Dieselcubmike and 2 others have said thanks

#4 superaben OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted October 02, 2013 - 08:57 PM

Alan, not to pick a fight here, but your experts are biased.  Just sayin'.

I used to hear stories about people saying squirrel was like chicken.  I never have tried it since the womenfolk around me are convinced that you can't eat cute animals.

Ben W.

• MH81, LilysDad and oldedeeres have said thanks

#5 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted October 02, 2013 - 09:03 PM

I've heard that about the gravy as well. I've never eaten squirrel but I think I should try it

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

#6 Cat385B ONLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,337 Thanks
  • 8,683 posts

Posted October 02, 2013 - 10:43 PM

Sausage gravy and a crock pot. Unless you have a sweet onion and maple glaze sauce recipe.

#7 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

• Member No: 14008
  • 5,536 Thanks
  • 3,073 posts

Posted October 02, 2013 - 10:44 PM

Olde Deere #2 figures Crocodile Dundee said it best, " you can eat it, but it tastes like sh!!t" This from the woman who once shot six blackbirds that had been eating sunflower seeds from a neighbour's field, plucked, cleaned, stuffed and roasted them, and served them for supper! They sure were cute lined up in the roaster with their little legs all sticking up in a row. Tasty, too. I'd try the squirrels if I were you.

#8 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,174 Thanks
  • 2,253 posts

Posted October 03, 2013 - 01:35 AM

Beer battered Chestnut Squirrel gravy with a bit of Bacon fat to mask the gamey flavor.Oh my goodness you won't find a better gravy anywhere.Awesome on toast or mashed taters.

nom nom nom nom

#9 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,359 Thanks
  • 3,127 posts

Posted October 03, 2013 - 03:48 AM

They are easiest skinned while still warm. Soak over night in salt water, and quarter and shake'n bake in the oven !! OUTRAGEOUSLY GOOD !!  I have had them many ways , and all were good, but the shake'nbake was the best!

And I don't eat anything that came out of , or around hemlock trees.... YUCK ! nastiest tastin' meat next to lamb , I ever ate!! So you deere hunters... stay away from hemlock groves.... :(

• Delmar and LilysDad have said thanks

#10 Delmar ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,257 Thanks
  • 2,383 posts

Posted October 03, 2013 - 06:54 AM

The only ones we ever shot were in oak trees.  And they aren't as easy as rabbits are to clean.  And you are right, they easier to be  skinned while warm.  That shake and bake recipe sounds tasty!  Mom always just rubbed them with some oil, like vegetable or olive or whaterever she had, salt and peppered them, laid them on their backs in a pan and roasted them in the oven for about an hour.  Sometimes she  put some bbq sauce on them the last 15 min. or so in the pan.....and then we ate 'em.  GREAT eatin'!. Hominy and mashed taters go with them real good too!

Edited by James henry, October 03, 2013 - 06:59 AM.

• skyrydr2 said thank you

#11 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 6,332 posts

Posted October 03, 2013 - 09:06 AM

I like them best in a crock pot overnight with a good BBQ sauce.  Pulled squirrel I guess.  

I hunt them in wild and farm areas.  If you have the chance, try it, however it's prepared.

• Delmar said thank you

#12 twostep OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,849 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted October 03, 2013 - 09:29 AM

Does anyone here cook and eat fox squirrels? I'd like to know if grey squirrels are worth fixing or are they just too small?

Yes, I know they're cute.

to answer your two questions directly; Yes, I will take and eat a fox squirrel unless it's the size of a house cat... then the meat is just too tough. Second question, YES! A young gray squirrel is the BEST to eat. Just like many other animals they have a prime age for tenderness.

For anyone that has trouble skinning squirrels; just like the meat, the older the animal the tougher to skin. Try cutting through the skin between the anus and tail, cut through the tail bone/mean and start to peel it toward the head. Put the tail under your boot, and pull both hind legs. That should skin all but the hind legs and lower portion of the belly. Whole lot easier than cutting the skin in the middle of the back and skinning both directions.

Oh and head shots only... that really helps with the skinning task too!

• Delmar and oldedeeres have said thanks

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 03, 2013 - 09:44 AM

Not for several years. My family does not care for them and being the only one whoe eats  them does not make it practical.

I would not say they taste like chicken. They are a redder meat and if cooked properly is not bad at all.

Young ones can be fried, but older ones can be tough if not stewed.

This part of Iowa is pretty much open farmland and fox squirrels are the normally seen variety.

You have to get into areas with more dense forest to find Grey Squirrel. They are in Southern Iowa and NE Iowa predominately along the Larger River drainage systems.

And Like Two Steps said, it is my favorite type of hunting. Scoped Rimfire or 22 Hornet, Headshots only.

Edited by JD DANNELS, October 03, 2013 - 09:46 AM.

#14 olcowhand ONLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,240 Thanks
  • 29,695 posts

Posted October 03, 2013 - 11:09 AM

I like them best in a crock pot overnight with a good BBQ sauce.  Pulled squirrel I guess.  

I hunt them in wild and farm areas.  If you have the chance, try it, however it's prepared.

I used to hunt & eat them, and the crock pot BBQ was very good!

#15 Jack OFFLINE  

• Member No: 9304
  • 1,124 Thanks
  • 766 posts

Posted October 03, 2013 - 12:22 PM

I have not had them myself but my brother in-law loves them. He makes what he calls three squirrel stew and takes it to work to share with his coworkers. They love it. My crazy redneck buddy says make gravy with it and throw the squirrel away.