#16 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,317 Thanks
  • 4,664 posts

Posted October 03, 2013 - 09:35 AM

Blame the EPA!!  The clutch is activated to turn faster (engages more) when the engine is hot and not so much when things are cool..  If the radiator's putting out a lot of heat things are warmed up and it's better for the engine/emissions and mileage to keep things cool..  My clutch on my old Chevy used to die out every couple years..  If the truck overheats that is a likely culprit if it has one..  Snowplowing is a death knell to these things I guess.. :wallbanging:   In the winter I just unhooked the spring so it always pulled the maximum air through the radiator at all times..  The engine used to get quite hot when I didn't..  (not a lot of air flow/heat transfer through the radiator @ low plowing speeds..)   Good Luck Bill!

• HDWildBill said thank you

#17 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted October 03, 2013 - 10:03 AM

If it has A/C the real reason for the elec fan is for the A/C condenser.

Mike

#18 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted October 03, 2013 - 06:36 PM

Well we got the fan clutch out today.  Unfortunately it took the threads on the water pump shaft with it.  The nut actually came out in pieces.  So now I have to decide if I want to replace the water pump or convert it to an efan.  A lot of guys over on the dodge forum have been do this but it takes quite a bit to make the brackets and mount the fan.  Not sure at this point which way I will go.  Sleep on it and decide tomorrow. It does run a whole lot quieter with out the fan there.

#19 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 03, 2013 - 07:03 PM

Is there a spot in the block available for the temp sensing fan switch you'll be needing if going to all electric?  I figure the small fan you already have is energized by the AC circuit, not engine temp.

#20 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted October 03, 2013 - 08:03 PM

Is there a spot in the block available for the temp sensing fan switch you'll be needing if going to all electric?  I figure the small fan you already have is energized by the AC circuit, not engine temp.

You are correct it is for the A/C and also it kicks in if the coolant temp get above 220 F.  You are also right in that you have to put another module in to turn the fan on at 185 F but I'm not exactly sure where they have been installing this sensor.  I have to do some more research.  The PCM control the fan.  I never dreamed changing out the fan clutch would be this difficult.