• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jlaws OFFLINE  

Jlaws
  • Member No: 31172
  • 542 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted October 02, 2013 - 09:46 AM

I have a MTD 990 and was wondering what hydrostatic fluid I should use .

I'm not sure what year it is as all ID tags are missing so I've looked at a couple of maintance manuals and depending on the year they disagree as to what is recommended . 

The 140-990A says use a 20 weight motor oil with a zinc additive of .07 minimum such as Rotella 20W or Havoline motor oil 20W .

The 141-990 says to use Type F Automatic transmission oil .

I'm doing a complete rebuild/restore and I've completely draining the rearend and installing a new filter .

What do you guys use ?

I have cub cadet Hytran that they use in there Sunstrand hydrostatic cubs  , do you think it would be OK to use ??

TIA , Jess

• Dieselcubmike said thank you

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted October 02, 2013 - 10:04 AM

The Hytran will do just fine.

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and Jlaws have said thanks

#3 AverageJoe OFFLINE  

AverageJoe

• Contributor
  • Member No: 365
  • 104 Thanks
  • 142 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 04:33 AM

I tried the 20wt in my 1972, but I thought the rear end was a little noisy with it.  I replaced it with the universal sold by TSC (which states it is Type F compatible), and have no complaints so far.

FWIW, 20wt is becoming a challenge to find.

• Alc said thank you

#4 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,404 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 04:47 AM

A good general purpose AW32 hydraulic oil will perform wonderfully . DO NOT USE ATF !! The stuff is no good for hydraulic applications over 1500psi. It is designed to lubricate and enhance friction materials , it does not like to be compressed and absorbs moisture and air easier than hydraulic oil or engine oil for that matter. Use a good transmission/hydraulic oil for farm and heavy equipment and it will be quieter and stronger(as long as it hasn't been ruined from running low or the wrong oil) .

• Texas Deere and Horse and sacsr have said thanks

#5 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 07:45 AM

A good general purpose AW32 hydraulic oil will perform wonderfully

No disrespect intended, but I've got to recommend against the hydraulic oil.  This tractor is a shared sump system where the hydraulics and transaxle share the same oil.  The oil has to operate as hydraulic fluid and has to lubricate the gears in the rear end.  Hydraulic oil isn't designed as a gear lube.  It doesn't have the necessary additives for that use.  That's exactly what universal tractor fluids like Hy-tran, Hy-gard, and the Tractor Supply stuff mentioned above are made for.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#6 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,404 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 10:17 AM

The differences are so little it won't matter......especially in a garden tractor. If it were running power shift clutch packs and wet brakes, then I would say definitely use Hy-trans fluid.... But its only running with gears and maybe a cylinder or 2. Hydraulic fluid is perfectly safe.
  • Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#7 skifoof OFFLINE  

skifoof
  • Member No: 52872
  • 53 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 10:16 AM

when I changed my 990's fluid I used universal hydraulic fliud,it works fine,and a filter from a john deere,i think 430 fits perfectly,i personally think its clumsy and a pain to operate,so im gonna take out the briggs 16hp and put in a allis b112,so i'll have a sliver 990 that will have some parts

#8 cityboy2977 OFFLINE  

cityboy2977

ordinary average guy

• Member No: 6650
  • 117 Thanks
  • 179 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 11:19 AM

i tried the 20wt oil. switched back to trans fluid. seemed like i lost power and lift ability with the 20wt.

never had any problems out of any machines running regular trans fluid. plus i dont have to search high or low for something "special". every auto parts store has what i need.