powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted October 02, 2013 - 11:09 AM

Interesting auction with an interesting back story.  Prices reflect that story and mileage or lack thereof on the vehicles and the DEEP pockets of some of the bidders.  I may have a follow up story if I can tell it.....  am checking now.......

• JRJ said thank you

#3 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted October 02, 2013 - 11:24 AM

The History channel was broadcaasting the auction late Saturday and i saw this sell. They claimed there were either only 32 built or 32 known to exist. I thought it went fairly cheap for those stats. There was recently a pedal tractor that sold in the 72,000 range.

#4 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted October 02, 2013 - 11:58 AM

My wife & I watched this. What I thought was interesting they said because of the single digit mileage most of these cars will be left as is & all will probably never see the road again.  

#5 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,069 posts

Posted October 02, 2013 - 01:52 PM

That was an amazing auction.  On another forum they linked a list of the cars.

Most of the were on Factory MSO, never titled cars with less than 10 miles on them.  Been in storage for years.  Pretty amazing.

#6 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted October 02, 2013 - 03:23 PM

They either had other income or their was a tremendous amount of money being made selling cars in order to be able to keep all those cars.

#7 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted October 02, 2013 - 08:48 PM

I loved that truck, but not that much...

Ben W.

#8 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted October 03, 2013 - 07:02 AM

This truck is headed to NH, going into a collection that includes some other very low mileage original cars.  Buyer is a friend of mine, used to work for him.  Looking forward to a "visit" with it.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1958-cameo_sm-700x466.jpg

#9 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted October 03, 2013 - 02:31 PM

They either had other income or their was a tremendous amount of money being made selling cars in order to be able to keep all those cars.

That's what makes no sense.  Dealer's have to buy the cars on their lots.  How in the world could they possibly afford to have that much tied up in brand new cars that would never be sold.

They said the dealership owner wouldn't sell a car that was used or wasn't the current model year.  He would accept trades but wouldn't resell them.  They just ended up in the field.  That's what the majority of the auctioned off cars were.  The really weird part was that he wouldn't sell a model year end leftover, either.  If a new car was still on the lot when the next model year cars were released, the new leftover went in the field.  Sad part was that the cars weren't cared for at all.  Just left to sit in the field while a forest grew up around and through them.

#10 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,069 posts

Posted October 03, 2013 - 04:27 PM

He probably thought he was doing something good, but really let a lot of great cars rot. Even if they would of been in a barn.

#11 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted October 03, 2013 - 07:27 PM

That's what makes no sense.  Dealer's have to buy the cars on their lots.  How in the world could they possibly afford to have that much tied up in brand new cars that would never be sold.

They said the dealership owner wouldn't sell a car that was used or wasn't the current model year.  He would accept trades but wouldn't resell them.  They just ended up in the field.  That's what the majority of the auctioned off cars were.  The really weird part was that he wouldn't sell a model year end leftover, either.  If a new car was still on the lot when the next model year cars were released, the new leftover went in the field.  Sad part was that the cars weren't cared for at all.  Just left to sit in the field while a forest grew up around and through them.

So considering just inflation,did they come out ahead? My guess is no.The $140 g truck and several probably would have as todays truck would be $50 i'm guessing.