• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#16 jackieb OFFLINE  

jackieb

• Member No: 8097
  • 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted January 04, 2012 - 04:33 AM

Here's the pictures of my Grandfather's tractor , I think it's a 2 cycle engine not sure what ignition system it uses
[ATTACH=CONFIG]8011[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]8012[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]8013[/ATTACH]

I just bought a standard walsh iron wheel (1949) which looks just like your grandfather's one only part missing is the motor shroud. first time ever seeing one

#17 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,451 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted January 04, 2012 - 06:17 AM

Welcome jackieb to GTtalk , if you need some pictures of the shroud I can go to my cousin's and take some for you , Al

#18 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,720 Thanks
  • 4,280 posts

Posted January 04, 2012 - 08:13 AM

Hi Jackieb, Welcome to the forum, glad you found us. I'm sure everyone would like to see pics of your tractor. I might have an early Walsh shroud loose around here I can take pics and measurements of if needed. I'm not sure if the Walsh shroud changed like the Monarch did or not. The earlier ones were 2 piece and would be fairly easy to make. By the late 40's the Monarch shroud was one piece stamped similar to the twin. I don't have any Walshes that new. The engine is 4 cycle and uses an atmospheric intake valve. They either used battery and buzz coil or magneto for ignition. Al, somehow I missed this thread originally. If you can get the number from the tag of your cousins, we can determine the year built.

#19 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,451 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted January 04, 2012 - 08:31 AM

I'll try to get some #s off the tractor next time I see him , thanks , Al

#20 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,720 Thanks
  • 4,280 posts

Posted January 04, 2012 - 11:05 AM

The tag is located on the rear vertical support for the gas tank. You can see the rivets for it in your first picture. The number was usually stamped in the front of the block near the oil fill plug. Another precaution on these tractors are that they have a plunger style oil pump in the crankcase. It feeds a trough that the rod dips out of. I like to clean and check it before starting if the engine hasn't been run in a long time. It's removable by a big hex plug in the bottom. Be careful, pieces will drop when its removed.
  • Alc said thank you

#21 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,451 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted January 04, 2012 - 11:39 AM

Thanks for the tips Doug , Al

#22 jackieb OFFLINE  

jackieb

• 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted January 05, 2012 - 07:31 PM

Welcome jackieb to GTtalk , if you need some pictures of the shroud I can go to my cousin's and take some for you , Al

I have a David Bradley Tri-Trac this is one of the hardest tractor I have to find parts for and anyone has parts please let me know

#23 jackieb OFFLINE  

jackieb

• 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted January 14, 2012 - 06:03 PM

please do and see if you have one

#24 Gary400 OFFLINE  

Gary400

JD,junkie

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2316
  • 225 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted January 15, 2012 - 07:56 PM

hard to imagine at one time those where top of the line garden tools . boy im glad they didnt stop trying to improve them lol .

#25 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted January 15, 2012 - 08:23 PM

Well you could have had a Mule instead. LOL

#26 1979gmc OFFLINE  

1979gmc

• Member No: 6525
  • 9 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted January 16, 2012 - 07:27 PM

I love the old Standards I have 1-1936 on duel steel, 1-1946 on rubber and 1-1936 viking on rubber - all are twins. 2 of which I bought from the original owners and have all the lititure including bills of sale:smile1: I'd like to find a good set of culivators as mine are shot. I do have 2 plows a sulky and an orchard cart, use to have a firewood saw to, I do still have the belt from it.

#27 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,720 Thanks
  • 4,280 posts

Posted January 16, 2012 - 11:19 PM

I just uploaded a Walsh manual here: Standard Walsh Owner's Manual - Manuals - Garden Tractor Talk - Forums
  • Gtractor and Alc have said thanks

#28 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,720 Thanks
  • 4,280 posts

Posted January 16, 2012 - 11:22 PM

I love the old Standards I have 1-1936 on duel steel, 1-1946 on rubber and 1-1936 viking on rubber - all are twins. 2 of which I bought from the original owners and have all the lititure including bills of sale:smile1: I'd like to find a good set of culivators as mine are shot. I do have 2 plows a sulky and an orchard cart, use to have a firewood saw to, I do still have the belt from it.

Hi 1979gmc, welcome to GTTalk. Glad to see we have another collector of old walk behinds with us. Check out the Introduction forum and tell us about yourself.

#29 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,451 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted January 17, 2012 - 06:20 AM

Thanks Doug ! I haven't talked to my cousin yet but I bet he doesn't have any info on the tractor . I'll make a copy of it for him too , Al

#30 hardinge OFFLINE  

hardinge

• Member No: 8289
  • 7 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted February 18, 2012 - 04:33 PM

I just uploaded a Walsh manual here: Standard Walsh Owner's Manual - Manuals - Garden Tractor Talk - Forums

Hello Doug, I am trying to get my standard walsh running and would love to look at that owners manual and downloaded it but it will not open for me. Am I not doing it right or is there another way I can access it? DSC03083.JPG
  • DB1 said thank you