• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted October 01, 2013 - 10:02 AM

For the last few years I have been amassing Magnetos, carburetors, gear boxes, Economy transmissions, etc. to rebuild and sell on line to stay busy and earn a little extra "mad" money.

I have been on line finding rebuild parts like points, condensers, bearings, gaskets, any and all parts needed to accomplish this task. I am absolutely shocked at the cost of condensers for X series wico mags. I have found lots of points by cross referencing part numbers, but not so lucky on condensers. Carburetor gasket kits are still fairly inexpensive, except Onan, of course. Bearings are reasonable. Anyone else running across this situation? Anyone else rebuilding for profit?

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 01, 2013 - 10:46 AM

Is there something physically unique about the condensers you are referring to. They are just capacitors, and small ones at that, and shouldn't be expensive. If you know the value you may be able to come up with a replacement that you could supply as a replacement part.

#3 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,249 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted October 01, 2013 - 11:13 AM

I don't know what brand mag, but a guy locally here used to rebuild mags with wax caps in the 22 mfd range.

#4 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted October 01, 2013 - 11:13 AM

Is there something physically unique about the condensers you are referring to. They are just capacitors, and small ones at that, and shouldn't be expensive. If you know the value you may be able to come up with a replacement that you could supply as a replacement part.

Yeah, I have already found a replacement for around $5. Nothing special about them except the part numbers are associated with wico, Kohler etc. Most listings for them range from $12 to $28 depending on the site.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted October 01, 2013 - 11:29 AM

When I 1st started searching for Wico parts, someone local said there was a place near me that can get the parts I need.

So for the heck of it I went to the place, talked with the woman at the desk and gave here the numbers off my mag. She said she would call me later that day with a price.

She called a couple hours later saying she could get the condenser for me, I was like "Great, how much is it?" She replied $68.00.

I said, FOR ONE condenser!?? Needless to say I didn't order one from them. When I told my Dad he thought I was kidding lol.

• Texas Deere and Horse, sacsr, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#6 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted October 01, 2013 - 07:32 PM

I do a good bit of rebuilding for what is supposed to be profit.  I've seen the same thing.  People think their parts are gold.  I've got news for them, bub!  They ain't!!

Magnetos parts are expensive because people don't buy enough to justify "economical manufacturing" whatever that nonsense means. 

I also rebuild carburetors. How about carburetor kits?  For no good reason, for example, an aftermarket kit for a Walbro LMG is still priced to break the bank. 

Even when I buy parts as a lot, sometimes I don't get all I hope to or even plan to make more than I spend.  Sometimes I know that upfront, sometimes not.  It will all come out in the wash, sooner or later, but it is the way it goes. 

Ben W.

#7 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,598 Thanks
  • 7,655 posts

Posted October 01, 2013 - 08:20 PM

All of the bearings in a Wheel Horse Unidrive trans are available elsewhere, except the large main ball bearings on the inboard axles. Toro gets $78 the last I knew. Maybe more now. They are a proprietary part. I thought folks were kidding about that, but I never found them elsewhere.

#8 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,230 Thanks
  • 5,071 posts

Posted October 02, 2013 - 07:21 AM

90% of the bearings can be sourced through bearing houses.  But the other 10% are as Lilysdad said, proprietary part numbers.

I ALWAYS attempt to cross everything or find another way to fix something, before I will pay inflated prices.

The main problem with say ebay is people for the most part are either lazy or stupid.  Ok, ebay, coil for kohler cub cadet.  Oh there is one, by it now 99.99 dollars...thats expensive, oh well I need it.  Boom, ok well the dude sells 3 or 4 that way, other sellers see that, boom they are now 98.99, why sell for 40 when you can get almost a 100.

Just an example, I haven't bought a coil for a cub forever.  Not sure what they cost these days, but I see that all the time.

#9 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted October 02, 2013 - 07:44 AM

I do a good bit of rebuilding for what is supposed to be profit.  I've seen the same thing.  People think their parts are gold.  I've got news for them, bub!  They ain't!!

Magnetos parts are expensive because people don't buy enough to justify "economical manufacturing" whatever that nonsense means. 

I also rebuild carburetors. How about carburetor kits?  For no good reason, for example, an aftermarket kit for a Walbro LMG is still priced to break the bank. 

Even when I buy parts as a lot, sometimes I don't get all I hope to or even plan to make more than I spend.  Sometimes I know that upfront, sometimes not.  It will all come out in the wash, sooner or later, but it is the way it goes. 

Ben W.

10/4 on the LMG. One of the cheapest carburetors around and one of the highest priced kits. Go figure.

• superaben said thank you

#10 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,598 Thanks
  • 7,655 posts

Posted October 02, 2013 - 10:48 AM

Just an example, I haven't bought a coil for a cub forever.  Not sure what they cost these days, but I see that all the time.

There is nothing special about a coil. Some old automotive coils will work. Exception, some Kohlers from'68-'70 had a breakerless ignition with a weird coil. I don't know what replaces that.

#11 superaben ONLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted October 02, 2013 - 08:34 PM

There is nothing special about a coil. Some old automotive coils will work. Exception, some Kohlers from'68-'70 had a breakerless ignition with a weird coil. I don't know what replaces that.

12 volt battery ignition automotive coil is what you are talking about.  The solid state coils I have never had to find.  I would doubt if anyone has those cheaply. 

They can't be worse than Tecumseh HH100 solid state modules.  Those things sell like hotcakes at $200 each.  I had people in line to buy the few I get. 

Ben W.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: points, condensers, etc