• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#16 CubHorse80 OFFLINE  

CubHorse80
  • Member No: 19713
  • 159 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted October 02, 2013 - 06:59 PM

SO, i think ill go with the plow, and a seperate 2 stage walker i allready have. I do need wheel weights though...

• boyscout862 said thank you

#17 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted October 02, 2013 - 10:04 PM

I think you are making the right choice.  Can quickly move snow with a blade AS LONG as you have somewhere to put it.  I used to use the 42" blade on my 100 but pushing it back enough out of the way was a pain.  I can do it WAY quicker with the blower for my situation.

Here's a pic of my 100 setup as I used it.  260 lbs of IH suitcase weight off the back and a 26lb'er on each rear wheel.  I didn't have the chains on in that picture but I did use them.  There was almost nothing I couldn't push with it at full tilt in 3rd gear.  2ft high piles were no match.  Good luck with it.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_0265%20(Small).jpg

• CubHorse80 said thank you

#18 CubHorse80 OFFLINE  

CubHorse80
  • 159 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted October 03, 2013 - 07:42 AM

Thats the next issue, is setting up weights. I need to make some sort of rear bracket for some serious pounds to be added on. Ideas?

#19 CubHorse80 OFFLINE  

CubHorse80
  • 159 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted October 03, 2013 - 07:43 AM

I think you are making the right choice.  Can quickly move snow with a blade AS LONG as you have somewhere to put it.  I used to use the 42" blade on my 100 but pushing it back enough out of the way was a pain.  I can do it WAY quicker with the blower for my situation.

Here's a pic of my 100 setup as I used it.  260 lbs of IH suitcase weight off the back and a 26lb'er on each rear wheel.  I didn't have the chains on in that picture but I did use them.  There was almost nothing I couldn't push with it at full tilt in 3rd gear.  2ft high piles were no match.  Good luck with it.

Nice lookin setup btw!

• IHCubGuy said thank you

#20 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,941 posts

Posted October 03, 2013 - 08:48 AM

I will say I maybe able to give you some advice since we are from same area, practically neighbors. I ran a Craftsman single stage snowblower on my little LT for a few years, did pretty well. We do get some heavy wet snows though and it it pretty much useless if too wet, I've shut it off and pushed snow quite often. Everyone is talking creeper gear, I ran mine in 3rd most of the time, the little 14 Hp Briggs did fine. No rear weight other than my 200#'s, but I did have chains. With the weather that last 2 years in Cincy area, I haven't even mounted it to tractor, even considered selling. Another drawback is if the snow is dry and light, man the blower covers you, wished i had a cab many, many times. I also blow my mom's gravel drive and it plain sucks. Throws gravel and I kick the drive chain with a rock everytime, guaranteed.

Since I got my Sears GT, I use a plow on the front, loaded ags, wheel weights and doubt I will ever go back to the blower. I need to put my skids back on for the gravel as it will dig, but with our cincy snow, I prefer the blade. I too plow 5-6 driveways, concrete and gravel so I get a lot of seat time.

With all that said, I hear the Farmers' almanac is predicting a lot of snow and very cold for our area this winter which means a lot of snow and probably some ice too.

Here was my old setup I used, no good pics of Sears with blade

100_0553.jpg

#21 CubHorse80 OFFLINE  

CubHorse80
  • 159 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted October 03, 2013 - 09:03 AM

I will say I maybe able to give you some advice since we are from same area, practically neighbors. I ran a Craftsman single stage snowblower on my little LT for a few years, did pretty well. We do get some heavy wet snows though and it it pretty much useless if too wet, I've shut it off and pushed snow quite often. Everyone is talking creeper gear, I ran mine in 3rd most of the time, the little 14 Hp Briggs did fine. No rear weight other than my 200#'s, but I did have chains. With the weather that last 2 years in Cincy area, I haven't even mounted it to tractor, even considered selling. Another drawback is if the snow is dry and light, man the blower covers you, wished i had a cab many, many times. I also blow my mom's gravel drive and it plain sucks. Throws gravel and I kick the drive chain with a rock everytime, guaranteed.

Since I got my Sears GT, I use a plow on the front, loaded ags, wheel weights and doubt I will ever go back to the blower. I need to put my skids back on for the gravel as it will dig, but with our cincy snow, I prefer the blade. I too plow 5-6 driveways, concrete and gravel so I get a lot of seat time.

With all that said, I hear the Farmers' almanac is predicting a lot of snow and very cold for our area this winter which means a lot of snow and probably some ice too.

Here was my old setup I used, no good pics of Sears with blade

100_0553.jpg

Thanks for the info! i want to make a beefy bracket for some suitcase weights that mounts to the rear of the frame where the tranny connects. I want at least 250lbs on the back. i am gonna get ag tires and i allready have chains. I just need someone to help with the welding! :thumbs:

#22 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted October 03, 2013 - 09:20 AM

For those that add weight behind the rear axle just remember you're lifting weight off the front axle making turning on ice or snow more difficult.

Mike

• boyscout862 and CubHorse80 have said thanks

#23 CubHorse80 OFFLINE  

CubHorse80
  • 159 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted October 03, 2013 - 09:53 AM

For those that add weight behind the rear axle just remember you're lifting weight off the front axle making turning on ice or snow more difficult.

Mike

Should i put some weight on the front too?

#24 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted October 03, 2013 - 10:07 AM

That or you could try what I did w/ the snowblower tires. I used my dial indicator depth gauge to calculate how long the screws can be w/o going thru the tire causing leaks.

Mike

#25 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,941 posts

Posted October 03, 2013 - 11:16 AM

I will add in the plus column for blowers, when you get a lot of snow, deep snow or repeated snows, blowers are nice cause you can move snow out of the way, blow it in yard, etc. After a few plows, it gets built up, maybe frozen and you lose places to put it.

I had weight on the back of my Sears was not a big factor in turning. If anything, I would go with tire chains on the front over screws in the tires or weight.

i also run my ags without chains, snow, I do okay, add any ice under there and I'm a sitting duck or should I say, "spinning" duck.

#26 CubHorse80 OFFLINE  

CubHorse80
  • 159 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted October 03, 2013 - 11:53 AM

I will add in the plus column for blowers, when you get a lot of snow, deep snow or repeated snows, blowers are nice cause you can move snow out of the way, blow it in yard, etc. After a few plows, it gets built up, maybe frozen and you lose places to put it.

I had weight on the back of my Sears was not a big factor in turning. If anything, I would go with tire chains on the front over screws in the tires or weight.

i also run my ags without chains, snow, I do okay, add any ice under there and I'm a sitting duck or should I say, "spinning" duck.

Yeah, i had a craftsman gt18, the older ones. It had a 48" plow and i had 200+ pounds of weight in the back tires and it turned easy. I don't think turnung will be an issue at all. And when snow gets built up, i just push it into the street then the plow truck will take care of it. :bigrofl:

#27 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,941 posts

Posted October 03, 2013 - 01:34 PM

.... And when snow gets built up, i just push it into the street then the plow truck will take care of it. :bigrofl:

I live in a township, if I do that too much, they will back up and fill my drive.. I luckily can push straight across the street into the neighbors' front yard. I plow their drive so they are good with that!

#28 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted October 03, 2013 - 02:18 PM

Dad has a spare set of wheel weights laying in the back yard.  I took them off a tractor recently.  I can check to see if he would be interesting in selling?

We are quite a trip for you though, probably not worth it.

#29 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted October 03, 2013 - 03:14 PM

Should i put some weight on the front too?

That's what the blade will do.  As far forward as the blade sits out over the front end and as close as I have the weight to the rear axle turning was never a problem with my 100 plow setup.  And pushing with the blade angled didn't affect it either as far as pushing the tractor sideways.

As far as a bracket is concerned, my bracket is nothing more than a piece of 1/2" by 2" flat steel that I had the local steel shop bend into a "U" shape.  It's 10 1/2" wide on the inside with legs that are 12' long. It has two 1/2" holes on each side about 2 3/4" apart and the first one 1 1/2' from the end of the leg.  I took the tire off each side and drilled 1/2" holes on each side of the frame and the bracket slides in from the back on the outside of the framerail on each side and is bolted in place with two 1/2" grade 8 bolts.  This is way more than strong enough and is removable if needed and the holes drilled into the frame appear as if they were factory if you didn't know otherwise.  I can put up to 5 IH suitcase weights on the back if I wanted and the bracket and weights do not interfere with either my rear lift or my spring assist.  I do have to remove the sleeve hitch adapter but that is easy with 3 pins.  Cost for the bracket with bolts was minimal and the weights came off a tractor at the farm.

I currently have the bracket off and I took a picture of it for you in case you are interested.  The bracket does not interfere with the fenders on my 100 and should not on a quietline either.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100 weight bracket (Small).jpg

#30 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted October 03, 2013 - 03:22 PM

Nice lookin setup btw!

Thanks.