Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Keep Tossing This Around. What Do Yall Think?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted October 01, 2013 - 12:53 AM

Been wanting to put a plow on but I want a back blade. I seen this and it was wondering if anyone has used this before? I don't have a brinly hitch so ill make a hitch for it off of my draw bar. Would it be worth getting or just to make my own?

http://www.homedepot...uct_description

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted October 01, 2013 - 06:32 AM

Looks like a sleeve hitch to me. Not sure what the diagonal bar is for.
I've never used one--it seems like they concentrate a lot of stress on one point. But, they've been around for awhile, so it must work okay.

It seems that they would make hitching up easier.

i used to sell snow plows and snow removal equip... using a back blade for snow is more difficult. lf you turn the blade to the rear and push in reverse you're always looking backwards. If you drag it forward, your tires are running in fresh snow and create strips of ice or compacted snow which isn't removed by the blade.

FWIW,

Smitty

Edited by Utah Smitty, October 01, 2013 - 06:39 AM.

• boyscout862 and Dieselcubmike have said thanks

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,317 Thanks
  • 28,635 posts

Posted October 01, 2013 - 06:40 AM

Mike,
I've got one. It's an older version but it works well for smoothing out gravel, etc... But I don't think it would work well as a drawbar implement. I think you would be well served to build or make a Sleeve hitch for your tractor if you're going to own one.
  • Dieselcubmike said thank you

#4 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted October 01, 2013 - 06:45 AM

I have a Johnson rear blade that I found a couple of months ago, but havent used it yet, so i don't know how well they work.

That looks like a good price for it, not too expensive.  You don't hardly ever see a used one up for sale, so their owners must like them , and it says it will do anything, so the return guarantee, if it doesnt work for you, should be good.  i say go for it, try it out.  I agree with MH81, it needs to be used with a sleeve hitch to get its full potential.

Edited by James henry, October 01, 2013 - 06:47 AM.

• MH81 and Dieselcubmike have said thanks

#5 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,498 Thanks
  • 4,952 posts

Posted October 01, 2013 - 08:02 AM

. Not sure what the diagonal bar is for.
Smitty

That picture is actually deceiving, the angle bar going from center to the tire is the handle you lift so you can angle the blade from the seat.

I thikn the holdu p pretty well, they keep making them and people keep buying them. I do know someone on MTF bought a box blade in the spring, he was moving some gravel and ended up bending the main arm going across the front of the box, Brinly made it right and sent replacement parts.

I just got a Craftsman box blade that is made similar, but I can assure you I won't be moving super heavy stuff, I can see where the bolts are already crushing the main support acorss the front, but then whoever put it together may have been hercules and over tightened bolts.

I agree, I would go ahead and make a sleeve hitch attachment for it to hook to tractor.

#6 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted October 01, 2013 - 10:47 AM

Thanks everyone. I wont really be using it for much other than yard work and I thought about making a better scraper tractor at the pulls. Smitty I understand and I thank you for information. Ill be using the cub 129 for snow removal but I just thought it would be something different to try out. 

#7 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted October 01, 2013 - 10:48 AM

I would make my own if your able. There's a lot of these home made that you could browse around & get ideas. I have a problem with the box stores carrying name brand items...are these as good as an item bought at a supply house or dealer? If you found this at a dealer I'm sure the serial numbers would not match. My guess is the hardware & blade metal would be the culprit here. Years ago name brands meant a lot, today it's just another item made by the same company. 

• Dieselcubmike and TAHOE have said thanks

#8 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted October 01, 2013 - 06:28 PM

I have a blade like this that has a Craftsman label on it.

I think it would be OK for most grading, but it is a little light duty and I think I could bend it pretty easy if I caught the leading edge on something very solid.....like concrete or a root.

• Dieselcubmike and Sawdust have said thanks

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 01, 2013 - 07:44 PM

I have a blade like this that has a Craftsman label on it.

I think it would be OK for most grading, but it is a little light duty and I think I could bend it pretty easy if I caught the leading edge on something very solid.....like concrete or a root.

I have the Craftsman labeled version also.  Just a Brinly rebadged for Sears.  Mine may never have been used, just some paint peel at some edges. 

#10 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,498 Thanks
  • 4,952 posts

Posted October 02, 2013 - 08:49 AM

I have the Craftsman labeled version also.  Just a Brinly rebadged for Sears.  Mine may never have been used, just some paint peel at some edges. 

Was that the one I was eyeballing on the trailer by the barn at plow day? Good thing I had already bought my package from the other guy or yours might have come up missing :bigrofl:

#11 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 02, 2013 - 10:34 AM

Was that the one I was eyeballing on the trailer by the barn at plow day? Good thing I had already bought my package from the other guy or yours might have come up missing :bigrofl:

Yep, that's the one!  I had intended to try to sell it plow day, but just stayed so busy I completely forgot! 

#12 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted October 02, 2013 - 11:04 AM

Thanks everyone for the advice. Right now  I think when I get time over the winter ill make my own plow. I don't have a brinly hitch of anything so ill have to make up a hitch system for it.

#13 farmerall ONLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,154 Thanks
  • 1,448 posts

Posted October 04, 2013 - 11:57 AM

Looks like a decent blade for regular work. If you would need something for heavy work I would say look for a Gannon Earthcavtor. There are hard to find but they are very heavy duty.

#14 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,626 Thanks
  • 3,918 posts

Posted October 04, 2013 - 02:06 PM

I have that exact blade - bought at a garage sale for $5 about 5 years ago.  With the two way [down pressure] hydraulics on my Power King it really works well.  Didn't figure it would be worth a hoot, but I was impressed when I used it.  Without down pressure it could very well be a useless toy.   Pretty sure the PK would roll it up in an unrecognizable ball if a fair amount of care was not excersized at all times.  When I need to cut or do serious work I use the farm tractor with three point blade.