• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 68guns OFFLINE  

68guns

• Member No: 7878
  • 122 Thanks
  • 80 posts

Posted September 30, 2013 - 07:36 PM

I finally got some time to tear into the G10 today. The objective is to change all the oil seals in the tranny because its beginning to leak everywhere. Looking at the gears,after 40 yrs, they look great. My question is mainly are any of these seals located inside the transmission? Once again this is virgin terrirtory for me so i will take any advice given.

Attached Thumbnails

• G-10trans1.png

• boyscout862, Dieselcubmike and JRJ have said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,219 Thanks
  • 28,590 posts

Posted September 30, 2013 - 08:12 PM

I Really have nothing useful to add,  gOOD lUCK.GIF

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 01, 2013 - 05:28 AM

Is there a service manual available for those transmissions. That would tell you how to proceed. Replacing the seals is easy. It's usually getting things disassembled that's the issue.

• JRJ said thank you

#4 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted October 01, 2013 - 05:45 AM

The cover on my g14 is off so I can get pictures of the inside before you start if need be. No seals on the inside from what I could tell by looking under the cover

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

#5 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,166 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted October 01, 2013 - 07:25 AM

I finally got some time to tear into the G10 today. The objective is to change all the oil seals in the tranny because its beginning to leak everywhere. Looking at the gears,after 40 yrs, they look great. My question is mainly are any of these seals located inside the transmission?  NO. Once again this is virgin terrirtory for me so i will take any advice given.

I believe reference #5 (left side) is also a seal.

Care must be taken when removing seals to not mar the shaft or housing surfaces.  ....When installing new seals, they must be started in their bores squarely, so they are not "cocked."

When installing a new seal over the threaded ends of the axle, care must be taken not to tear the inside lip of the new seal on the threads.  ....A thin wrap of aluminum from a soda/beer can or a thin piece of plastic can cover the threads while the seal is slid over that.  ....Be sure to remove the protective cover once you have installed the seal.

A Bolens Service Manual is located here:  http://gardentractor...anual-552875-1/

Parts manual for the 1055/G10 is located here:  http://gardentractor...olens-1055-g10/

• BairleaFarm, Newpaws493 and JRJ have said thanks