• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted December 07, 2010 - 04:25 PM

Thank you for the informative response.
I usually get this watch serviced every couple years to keep it running like a top. Next time I take it in I will be sure to tell him to write down the info for me. I do go to a place right here in town. I have had a few other watches fixed by him as well.

This is the link http://www.buffalowatch.com/

#17 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted December 07, 2010 - 04:32 PM

Since we are on the topic of watches, I'm going to see If I can locate my old Bullova watch this weekend....

#18 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 07, 2010 - 05:38 PM

Late to the party again! Thanks for all the wonderful pictures Ron! Those are some great pieces. There was a time when small parts didn't bother me...that being said, as I get older, My arms are getting too short to see them and my fingers are no longer tactile enough to keep a hold on them. (too many years of rough use and abuse on both counts I'm sure). I can certainly appreciate the fine work that you do.

#19 Ranchkingron OFFLINE  

Ranchkingron

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1613
  • 28 Thanks
  • 183 posts

Posted December 07, 2010 - 07:35 PM

In the pic below there is a jeweled bearing with the marks S-F underneath it. Is this the speed adjustmet? If so how do you know how fast or slow to set it? what do you use as a reference?

In the next one, I guess I should not use my pocket knife to get the back off a watch anymore.:D

Yep thats the beat regulator and you can do it the old fashioned way by winding it up and moving it up or down to adjust the beat (speed) but nowadays we use a timing machine, like the Microset which is hooked up to a computer (what I have now) but the new one which I'm hoping gets here soon is totally self contained, but I will hook it to a monitor just to make it easier for my eyes to see.

Don't laugh but I still use a pocket knife in a pinch or when I'm out and someone says darn my watchband came off, but a caseback knife is standard equipment on any watchmakers bench although I prefer the Seiko style tool (it's less likely to slip and harm the caseback) for doing snap back cases, or if it's a screw down back like in the pic you use a caseback wrench.

Want a laugh ? The one in the pic is from JOXA swiss made and cost me $278 and one day at Harbor Freight I saw the same exact one (right down to the part #) for $12.99, needless to say I was flaming mad lol !

Ron

Attached Thumbnails

• CaseBack knife.jpg
  • micro set.jpg
  • micro set1.jpg
  • second chk.JPG

Edited by Ranchkingron, December 07, 2010 - 08:28 PM.

#20 Ranchkingron OFFLINE  

Ranchkingron

Tractorholic

• 28 Thanks
  • 183 posts

Posted December 07, 2010 - 08:27 PM

Thank you for the informative response.
I usually get this watch serviced every couple years to keep it running like a top. Next time I take it in I will be sure to tell him to write down the info for me. I do go to a place right here in town. I have had a few other watches fixed by him as well.

I'm sure he would be happy to get the serial number and info for you, and I must say I love his store and workstation his website is great as well.
So glad you found a good, trustworthy watchmaker they are hard to come by.

This is the link Buffalo Watch & Clock - Clock & Watch Repair for Buffalo, Hamburg, Orchard Park, Amherst and all of WNY

Since we are on the topic of watches, I'm going to see If I can locate my old Bullova watch this weekend....

Oh lord you found my weakness lol, I love Bulova especially the Accutron line I would love top see it.
And in one of the store pic from the link you posted the owner is working on an Bulova Accutron.

Here is a link to the Bulova Spaceview Accutron they are rereleasing, I want one so bad lol.

Bulova Spaceview - Home

Late to the party again! Thanks for all the wonderful pictures Ron! Those are some great pieces. There was a time when small parts didn't bother me...that being said, as I get older, My arms are getting too short to see them and my fingers are no longer tactile enough to keep a hold on them. (too many years of rough use and abuse on both counts I'm sure). I can certainly appreciate the fine work that you do.

You're very welcome and thank you for looking it's so great to find people who can appreciate timepieces the way nuts like myself do.
You can do it, my instructor had arthritis so bad his hands shook like he was having a seizure but put him at a workbench and the man was an artist, thats one of the reasons why a watchmakers bench is so tall so you can gain stability resting your arms on it.
And thank you for the compliment it means allot.

Ron

Darn I almost forgot I'm putting a pic of the most common tools for work on, but there are so many specialty ones there wouldn't be room here enjoy.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2831.jpg

#21 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted December 07, 2010 - 08:36 PM

Wow that new watch looks amazing! Probably pretty pricey as well

Know anything about cuckoo clocks?

#22 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted December 07, 2010 - 08:40 PM

How do you recommend winding these watches?
I usually wind it slowly until I feel some tension like its would all the way. I dont want to break it by over winding...

#23 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 07, 2010 - 08:44 PM

OMG, that Accutron Spaceview watch is hot. I know I can't afford it but would love to have one.

I admire your work especially working with timepieces. I do have one off the wall question though. If you have the 1/4oz. hammer pictured and that is your normal go to hammer, what would be your BFH when it comes to watchmaking?

#24 Ranchkingron OFFLINE  

Ranchkingron

Tractorholic

• 28 Thanks
  • 183 posts

Posted December 07, 2010 - 09:22 PM

Wow that new watch looks amazing! Probably pretty pricey as well

Know anything about cuckoo clocks?

I bet it is but you have to admit it's gorgeous, I would guess somewhere in the area of $2.500 for the new Spaceview.

I've rebuilt a few over the years they are basically the same as any other clocks but instead of a chiming bar they have bellows (kinda like a miniature pipe organ) to make the cuckoo sound, the only one I ever had trouble with was one a lady brought to me after it fell from the wall (her cat thought the weights would make a good toy) after getting the case back in shape I searched all over for new bellows no luck (she got it in Germany from a small clockmaker), so after racking my brain for a week it hit me shellac over cotton linen like WW1 planes. but folding that cloth to make the bellows after it was stiff was a royal pain.
Last I heard it was still running great, I should call her and set up a cleaning and tuning.

How do you recommend winding these watches?
I usually wind it slowly until I feel some tension like its would all the way. I dont want to break it by over winding...

Ok not to sound like a snot but let me tell you what my instructor said to us : Das Idiot who schtarted disech LIE ist a Schweinehund ! Sorry thats my best German accent.

The misbelief that you can over-wind a watch or clock is a common but wrong fantasy if everything in the timepiece is working right and not worn out, now I have seen where a worn out mainspring will break when it's wound but that will happen regardless of how much or how tight it's wound.

The way you are winding it is the prescribed method for all watches and clocks, the only thing I can say is wind the crown one way not back and forth like some people do, the crown on 99% of all watches is screwed on and going backwards will unscrew it.

I would have qualms of giving you one of my watches to wind you know what you are doing !

Ron
  • Bolens 1000 said thank you

#25 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted December 07, 2010 - 09:29 PM

Thanks for clearing that up.
I do wind my watches 1 way and do not go back and forth.

I didn't mention this before but my Grandmother's Father was a watch maker and it was my Grandmother that taught me to take care of the timepieces

#26 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted December 07, 2010 - 09:33 PM

Getting late here... I'm going to call it a night. I will definitely get pics of that Bullova this weekend.

#27 Ranchkingron OFFLINE  

Ranchkingron

Tractorholic

• 28 Thanks
  • 183 posts

Posted December 07, 2010 - 09:37 PM

OMG, that Accutron Spaceview watch is hot. I know I can't afford it but would love to have one.

You're not alone I told my fiancée she's lucky she can cook or I would have a new love lol.

I admire your work especially working with timepieces. I do have one off the wall question though. If you have the 1/4oz. hammer pictured and that is your normal go to hammer, what would be your BFH when it comes to watchmaking?

That is my big hammer ! When I was training and apprenticing my instructor saw me using just a little to much enthusiasm with a hammer to set a staff in a great wheel (axle shaft in the hour gear) and stopped the whole class and had them gather around my bench then took my hammer and had me make a fist WHAMM ! right across my knuckles, Then told the class "If it hurts your knuckle it hurts the watch !" But I think what hurt more was being made an example of lol. To be honest 1/4-1/2 once is the normal weight for watchmaking.

Ron

#28 Ranchkingron OFFLINE  

Ranchkingron

Tractorholic

• 28 Thanks
  • 183 posts

Posted December 07, 2010 - 09:39 PM

Getting late here... I'm going to call it a night. I will definitely get pics of that Bullova this weekend.

That would be great cant wait to see them, and good to see someone from the trade still here.

#29 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted December 07, 2010 - 10:00 PM

That is my big hammer ! When I was training and apprenticing my instructor saw me using just a little to much enthusiasm with a hammer to set a staff in a great wheel (axle shaft in the hour gear) and stopped the whole class and had them gather around my bench then took my hammer and had me make a fist WHAMM ! right across my knuckles, Then told the class "If it hurts your knuckle it hurts the watch !"

I love these types of instructors, those lessons you never forget.

For us knuckle draggers out here who want to have a basic understanding of watches and movements, where do you suggest we start. Buy an old cheap time piece and take it apart then put it back together?

#30 Ranchkingron OFFLINE  

Ranchkingron

Tractorholic

• 28 Thanks
  • 183 posts

Posted December 08, 2010 - 01:50 AM

I love these types of instructors, those lessons you never forget.

For us knuckle draggers out here who want to have a basic understanding of watches and movements, where do you suggest we start. Buy an old cheap time piece and take it apart then put it back together?

It certainly left an impression on me ! No pun intended.

LOL you guys aren't knuckle draggers !

Well how in depth do you want to get ?

If it's just a one time thing I really cant recommend anything better than going to your local library and see what the have on the subject thats what I did as a kid and it helped allot giving me a basic understanding of how they work and what tools are used plus you get some great tips that may have been lost over time.

If you want to dive deep into it then check with some of the colleges around you most have a basic repair class that isn't too expensive and will give you all the basic knowledge you need.

As far as tools it's just like working on a tractor the better they are the better the results, some of it you can get fairly cheap but they won't last long if you use them allot, but then again I cant see spending $3.000 on a timing machine to use twice a year.

As to what your first project should be I think it should be an inexpensive pocket watch, large enough to work on easily but not as hard (aka mind blowing tiny) as a wristwatch and has the same basic design (balance, hairpspring, mainspring barrel, click etc.) thats what they started us out with in school and it works.

If you like clocks and want to start out simple and work you way up Klockit has some of the nicest products around, I have worked on the movements the sell and they are the finest ones I've seen under $2.000 (movement only) and build up into one great timepiece. Klockit - Mechanical Clock Movements, Hermle, Kieninger

Heres what I would do get some books read and see if you want to invest the money into it or not, that way you're only out the price of the books but if you like timepieces you really wont be out anything.

Here is a great one from Bulova that is still used today. and Esslinger is one of my favorite suppliers. The Joseph Bulova School of Watchmaking Watch Repair Training Manual

Awesome book thats easy to understand and very accurate. Amazon.com: Practical Watch Repairing (9781602393578): Donald de Carle: Books
And Amazon has a deal the book and a basic tool set for $18.42 not the best tool but good to start with.
They also have combo book deals which are great.

This is on every workbench I've ever seen including mine. Amazon.com: Complicated Watches and Their Repair (9780719800900): Donald de Carle: Books

Same with this one. Amazon.com: Practical Clock Repairing (3rd Edition) (9780719800009): Donald de Carle: Books

This is a must have if you buy, sell, or trade watches. Amazon.com: Complete Price Guide to Watches No. 30 (9781574326437): Cooksey Shugart, Richard E. Gilbert, Tom Engle: Books

Very good course book but not as good as the Bulova. Amazon.com: Learn Watch Repair At Home With The Home Study Course Of The Wisconsin Institute of Horology (9780578048451): Mike Barnett: Books

The best for leaning timing principles. Amazon.com: Practical Watch Adjusting (9780719800504): Donald de Carle: Books

Great beginners book for clocks. Amazon.com: Clock Repairing as a Hobby: An Illustrated How-To Guide for the Beginner (9781602391536): Harold C. Kelly: Books
I have most of these on my bookshelf above my bench if for no better reason than they have great tips (save time=make money) but the one thing that is tho most valued is the BestFit #111 material catalog and all the supplements, it's expensive but worth it's weight in gold.

You can get it here and they also offer training. Books on Watch and Clock Repair

Hope this helps and if you have any questions just ask.

Ron

Attached Thumbnails

• bestfit.jpg