36 replies to this topic

#1 Ranchkingron OFFLINE  

Ranchkingron

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1613
  • 28 Thanks
  • 183 posts

Posted December 06, 2010 - 12:43 AM

At the request of Coldone I thought I would show you folks a few of my timepieces and give you an idea of what I do to make the tractor money.

I hope you enjoy seeing them as much as I enjoy working on them.

1949 Kundo 300 day anniversary clock.

1957 Linden 14 day Tambour mantle clock.

1965 Omega Geneve 565 24 jewel automatic.

1973 Gruen LED mens dress.

1999 Seiko Sea Master SE 200m chronograph 1 of 2000 COSC Certified.

2001 Breitling Air Master 200m chronograph automatic.

1963 Timex Automatic mens dress.

1988 Pulsar Grand Chrono 100m.

There are many more but it would take allot of space and time to list them all, but there are a few that have surprised myself and fellow Horologists with their quality and accuracy one of my favorites is the 2008 Folio Automatic $78 0n clearance for $40-

Full stainless steel case and bracelet 660ss
Saphlex crystals front and back
Tested accuracy 8 positions 3.1 +/- seconds per month, darn near the same as a Rolex.
8 day power reserve.
Not bad for a watch under $50 let alone $1000.

Thank you for looking hope you enjoy it Ron

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1158.jpg
  • 24511_1367027412393_1132915796_1144371_5573630_n.jpg
  • IMG_2814.jpg
  • IMG_1115.jpg
  • IMG_1200.jpg
  • IMG_1128.jpg
  • IMG_2809.jpg
  • IMG_2807.jpg
  • IMG_1179.jpg
  • IMG_2808.jpg
  • IMG_1262.jpg
  • IMG_1240.jpg
  • IMG_1235.JPG
  • IMG_1177.jpg
  • IMG_2804.jpg
  • IMG_1162.JPG
  • Omega 565 movment back.jpg
  • IMG_2802.jpg
  • IMG_2810.jpg
  • IMG_2812.jpg
  • IMG_1232.JPG
  • IMG_1280.jpg
  • IMG_1278.jpg
  • IMG_1285.jpg
  • IMG_1274.jpg
  • IMG_1276.jpg
  • IMG_1273.jpg
  • IMG_1281.jpg
  • IMG_1284.jpg
  • IMG_1111.jpg
  • IMG_1275.jpg
  • IMG_1282.jpg

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 06, 2010 - 05:26 AM

Thanks for the pictures.
  • Ranchkingron said thank you

#3 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted December 06, 2010 - 06:45 AM

Looking at watches always amazes me how small some of those parts are!
Thanks for the pictures

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted December 06, 2010 - 08:12 AM

I guess I should be less frustrated during my next carb job, knowing there is smaller & tinier parts to lose... I probably won't be, but I should :D

Neat Pictures, Thank You.

#5 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted December 06, 2010 - 11:14 AM

Thanks for the pics. Watches have always amazed me (dosent take much) for something that looks so simple on the outside to be so complex on the inside. Then there is the fact that all of them used to be hand made along with every piece in it! I watched a show one time and teh subject was how the Chronograph came to be and how its invention impacted the world. I stared at the watch on my arm in disbelief that I took for granted everyday changed the world so much.

The 73 Greuin reminds me of the very first digital watch that I remember. it was my fathers and I believ a Timex. It weighed about 2 pounds and could be used as a self defense weapon. I remember sitting through the Christmas play at church on Christmas eve and playing with his watch. Everybody on the row got made because I was using it like a signal beacon and it was bright enough that people 3 rows back could tell what time it was.

Unfortunatly I beleive the apprectaion of fine watches is going the way of good pocket knives. Used to you could judge a persons character by what knife was in his pocket and watch was on his wrist. Today its by how fancy your cell phone is. My watch has been sitting in my dreeser for a few years but I still carry a Case trapper in my pocket.

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted December 06, 2010 - 12:58 PM

When my Grandpa passed, us Grandkids could choose of stuff on a table of his to keep. I chose a cheap "Pocket Ben" with a busted lens, with one half protruding out of the case. I was just a teenager. I kept it for years as-is, then when I was about 19yrs old, I decided to pop the lens in. Found it would NOT go back in unless I took the movement out. Well, the stem had to come out & to do that required taking the inner works apart. So I did, and despite my best efforts to keep gears & such in place, they all fell out all over the kitchen table! Well, being stubborn to fix all my own stuff, I sat there for hours after putting the lens in place, putting the watch works all back together. I was amazed when I finished it to find that it still ran & also still kept perfect time! Still have that watch today, 37yrs after the day I got it. I don't carry it, as it's a keepsake I don't want to lose. NO actual value, but priceless as a "Grandpa" keepsake.
Thanks for the pics, and stirring my memory!

#7 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted December 06, 2010 - 01:25 PM

I really enjoyed looking at your photographs. I have an immense amount of respect for those who can manipulate those small parts.

I looked into some automatic watches years ago, only to find how expensive they were. I was tired of changing batteries. I finally got a citizen eco drive watch and have only had one issue that the warranty took care of. What is your considered opinion on eco drives?

coldone, as an aside, I was in a car wreck and in the ER, awaiting results of xrays. A couple of doctor's came by, lifted my arm and said hmmmmmmm, that's ok. They left and when one of them came back, I asked him what they meant by ok. He told me that usually, they see people in hospital gowns and all they have is a watch of thier own property. They measured you up by the watch you had on. I asked him what my watch said about me. He said I was in the middle. He liked that I had upgraded to all titanium. I shook my head as he went on. Don't know if he was brilliant, or bored.

#8 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted December 06, 2010 - 02:03 PM

Hey I have that exact same mantle clock....

http://gardentractor...e-img_1262-jpg/

I got it from my grandmothers estate 20 years ago....

#9 Ranchkingron OFFLINE  

Ranchkingron

Tractorholic

• 28 Thanks
  • 183 posts

Posted December 06, 2010 - 03:36 PM

I guess I should be less frustrated during my next carb job, knowing there is smaller & tinier parts to lose... I probably won't be, but I should :D

Neat Pictures, Thank You.

As you said there are worse things than working on a carb.

Your all very welcome and thank you for all the compliments.

Thanks for the pics. Watches have always amazed me (dosent take much) for something that looks so simple on the outside to be so complex on the inside. Then there is the fact that all of them used to be hand made along with every piece in it! I watched a show one time and teh subject was how the Chronograph came to be and how its invention impacted the world. I stared at the watch on my arm in disbelief that I took for granted everyday changed the world so much.

The 73 Greuin reminds me of the very first digital watch that I remember. it was my fathers and I believ a Timex. It weighed about 2 pounds and could be used as a self defense weapon. I remember sitting through the Christmas play at church on Christmas eve and playing with his watch. Everybody on the row got made because I was using it like a signal beacon and it was bright enough that people 3 rows back could tell what time it was.

Unfortunatly I beleive the apprectaion of fine watches is going the way of good pocket knives. Used to you could judge a persons character by what knife was in his pocket and watch was on his wrist. Today its by how fancy your cell phone is. My watch has been sitting in my dreeser for a few years but I still carry a Case trapper in my pocket.

Sadly I think you are correct they have devolved from being a high quality tool to a status symbol except by those who use and appreciate them.

When my Grandpa passed, us Grandkids could choose of stuff on a table of his to keep. I chose a cheap "Pocket Ben" with a busted lens, with one half protruding out of the case. I was just a teenager. I kept it for years as-is, then when I was about 19yrs old, I decided to pop the lens in. Found it would NOT go back in unless I took the movement out. Well, the stem had to come out & to do that required taking the inner works apart. So I did, and despite my best efforts to keep gears & such in place, they all fell out all over the kitchen table! Well, being stubborn to fix all my own stuff, I sat there for hours after putting the lens in place, putting the watch works all back together. I was amazed when I finished it to find that it still ran & also still kept perfect time! Still have that watch today, 37yrs after the day I got it. I don't carry it, as it's a keepsake I don't want to lose. NO actual value, but priceless as a "Grandpa" keepsake.
Thanks for the pics, and stirring my memory!

Thats great Olcowhand and to be honest I'm not surprised at all that it ran and was in time, once you learn a little about them their not as intimidating as most folks think, and I don't blame you for keeping it safe it's a piece of history.

Btw don't think it has no value you may be surprised at what it would bring at an auction to someone who knows what it is.

I really enjoyed looking at your photographs. I have an immense amount of respect for those who can manipulate those small parts.

I looked into some automatic watches years ago, only to find how expensive they were. I was tired of changing batteries. I finally got a citizen eco drive watch and have only had one issue that the warranty took care of. What is your considered opinion on eco drives?

coldone, as an aside, I was in a car wreck and in the ER, awaiting results of xrays. A couple of doctor's came by, lifted my arm and said hmmmmmmm, that's ok. They left and when one of them came back, I asked him what they meant by ok. He told me that usually, they see people in hospital gowns and all they have is a watch of thier own property. They measured you up by the watch you had on. I asked him what my watch said about me. He said I was in the middle. He liked that I had upgraded to all titanium. I shook my head as he went on. Don't know if he was brilliant, or bored.

If you wan't my honest opinion on the Citizen Eco-drive line here it is-
Plain and simple the are great, just like an automatic (selfwinding) watch the beauty of it is you never have to open the case unless it needs repair or servicing, which means it retains it's water resistance and case integrity.

The downside is repair and service costs are high (double or triple the cost of a non self powered watch) but if you average it out over the life of the watch it's about the same.

As I mentioned before it's more of a status thing with them now, as your ER experience suggested.

Hey I have that exact same mantle clock....

http://gardentractor...e-img_1262-jpg/

I got it from my grandmothers estate 20 years ago....

Thats great is it still running and chiming ?

And thanks again for all the compliments it really means allot.

Ron

P.S. heres a few more that are going to be restored asap, the most important of which is my Dads Gruen 27 jewel he wore for years working at the GM Fleetwood plant, and I know some of these are not what you would consider high end but they are different which is what I like, especially large wristwatches (medium and small ones get lost on my arm I'm a big guy).

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1246 (2).jpg
  • IMG_1244 (2).JPG
  • IMG_1240.jpg
  • IMG_1223.JPG
  • IMG_1229.JPG
  • IMG_1198.jpg
  • IMG_1241 (2).JPG
  • IMG_1243 (2).JPG
  • IMG_1242 (2).JPG
  • IMG_1227.JPG
  • IMG_1197.JPG

#10 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted December 06, 2010 - 10:54 PM

Thats great is it still running and chiming ?

When I remember to wind it.....

#11 Ranchkingron OFFLINE  

Ranchkingron

Tractorholic

• 28 Thanks
  • 183 posts

Posted December 06, 2010 - 11:20 PM

LOL That does seem to make them run better !

#12 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted December 07, 2010 - 09:01 AM

The pictures were great. Thanks for the interesting post. Being all thumbs I don't think that I could ever work with such small parts. Thankfully some folks can.

#13 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted December 07, 2010 - 10:33 AM

Would you know what the year of this Gruen watch is? It says 17 jewel...
I had it for a while but cant seem to find any info on it :confuse:

Attached Thumbnails

• watch 2.jpg
  • watch 1.jpg

#14 Ranchkingron OFFLINE  

Ranchkingron

Tractorholic

• 28 Thanks
  • 183 posts

Posted December 07, 2010 - 02:40 PM

Would you know what the year of this Gruen watch is? It says 17 jewel...
I had it for a while but cant seem to find any info on it :confuse:

I'm not surprised at all Bolens 1000, Gruen has a very checkered past and can be a pain to figure out even for the best watchmaker.

Looking at your pics and talking to a couple of fellow watchmakers they agree with me on the vintage which I would guess at around 1968-1973 using the face, batten hands, markers, case size and style, crown (if it's original) and the 17 jewel movement.

That being said these are just guesses nothing more, in order to find the serial numbers you need to go inside the movement under the train and balance bridges to get the numbers, but opening up a watch thats running fine is against all the rules laid down for watchmakers so if you really want to know everything about it I would recommend taking it to be serviced (cleaned, lubed, and timed) at that time you can get all the info since it will be apart anyway.

On where you should go for service thats your choice but my recommendation is take it to a small family run watchmakers that have been in business a very long time and has an on site watchmaker.

I'll post some pics that may help and watchmakers I hope are close to you, the two with stars I trust, the other I don't (no certifications) and I've heard of this guy before not somebody you want to deal with.

Take a look at the pics and see if any match yours then we may get you in the ballpark.

Ron

P.S. I made a typo on my Dads watch it a 17 jewel not a 27j and it's a 1963 model year sorry, sometimes the fingers go faster than the brain.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2828.jpg
  • ny watchmakers.jpg
  • IMG_2823.jpg
  • IMG_2824.jpg
  • IMG_2817.jpg
  • IMG_2826.jpg
  • IMG_2816.jpg
  • IMG_2829.jpg

Edited by Ranchkingron, December 07, 2010 - 02:47 PM.

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#15 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted December 07, 2010 - 04:25 PM

In the pic below there is a jeweled bearing with the marks S-F underneath it. Is this the speed adjustmet? If so how do you know how fast or slow to set it? what do you use as a reference?

In the next one, I guess I should not use my pocket knife to get the back off a watch anymore.:D

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2824.jpg
  • IMG_2828.jpg