• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• Member No: 6780
  • 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted September 30, 2013 - 04:05 PM

I referenced this building in another thread but for those that havent read the other thread, I will go back to the beginning of this shed's existance at my house.

The "tool shed"

Several years ago, my mother was in the middle of her divorce and things were getting a little more "heated" than I cared for so I showed up one Friday afternoon with a 32' Ryder Truck and by Sunday morning EVERYTHING in her house was on its way to Birmingham!  Well almost everything, there was enough stuff to fill up a 10X12 storage building that would not fit on the truck.  Once I got her to Birmingham, I had to put her belongings in a 12X24 Mini-Storage unit until we could find her a new place of her own. About a year after she moved in with me, I found the above building on Craigslist for sale.  She and I talked about it, and I told her that for less than what she had already paid for 12 months of Mini Storage, She could buy the building and I would set it up in my back yard until she found her own place and then it could be moved there.  Well, she never made it move out on her own. She lost a 6 week battle to stage 4 Adenocarcinoma (Lung Cancer) and passed away last December. She had lived with me for almost 3 years. It took several months for me and my 3 brothers to get around to going through her stuff and dividing it up and disposing of the stuff that no one wanted or wasnt worth keeping.  Once all of that was done, the stuff that was left in the building was either given away or given to the Hanna Home Thrift Store here in Alabaster.

Fast forward to this past weekend, With the wife out of the hospital and safely at home and resting, I decided that it was time to finish cleaning out the building and start gettting it setup to be my new Tractor Shed/Storage building.  Several years before I moved my mother to Birmingham, there was a hospital on the hill behind there house that closed up. During the time that they were cleaning out the building to get ready for the demolition of the building, my ex-step father purchased a bunch of storage cabinets and misc. items from the building liquidation company.  Well guess who wound up with those......lol  yours truly.  They are the cabinets that were used to store the medical supplies in the Emergency Room.  They have several sized drawers and about a dozen or so pull out trays.  They have roll up doors on them similar to a roll top desk but these roll DOWN under the cabinet instead of over the top like a desk.  I have them configured with a section at the top of each cabinet for manuals and books related to my tractors and attachments. (they have photo albums on the shelves in the pictures below but that is just temporary until I finish packing them up)  Below each shelve of books, there is another pull out tray that will serve as a writing surface or a desktop to lay the books/manuals on to be able to read them.  Since the top of the cabinets are open, I am going to build a shelf that goes all the way across them to server two purposes. First and foremost, it will close in the top of the cabinet and secondly, will let me store things on top of the cabinets that would otherwise be wasted space.

IMG 3735

IMG 3734

/

Another Item that I have collected in the last year or so are several sets of lockers that were in our employee lounge at work.  They were going to throw them away so I brought them home.  I have one set up in the garage now that I store paint, oil, grease, filters and that kind of stuff in.  I have built shelves in each locker that divide each locker into 3 sections and it has worked out great so far.  I havent quite figured out where I am going to put them in the building yet as I am still working on the layout.  I am thinking about putting a set of wooden shelves across the back wall but havent made the final decision yet.

IMG 3733

Edited by Robert Webb, September 30, 2013 - 04:25 PM.

• olcowhand, Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and 4 others have said thanks

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 30, 2013 - 04:13 PM

Robert, that is a great building and I wish I had some of those roll up shelf units, they are cool.

#3 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted September 30, 2013 - 04:15 PM

Well HELLSBELLS............you can see the pictures but I cant.....................hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

• JRJ said thank you

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 30, 2013 - 04:16 PM

That's a really nice looking building. Should make a nice tractor shed. It's also going to free up the space where you had the shelving units and lockers stored. My advice is to put in as many shelves as you can before the building gets filled up. High shelves that can take long items are very useful.  

#5 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted September 30, 2013 - 04:24 PM

Sorry about the loss of your Mom. Looks like a nice building for tractors especially with the double doors. I would turn the lockers on there side, the right side being the bottom. The now long space horizontally would have a drop down door for each compartment. Anyway you choose you have some nice cabinets either way.

• IamSherwood and CRFarnsworth have said thanks

#6 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,765 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted September 30, 2013 - 04:49 PM

Nice building. Sorry about the way it was acquired. Those cabinets are pretty nice. I had some lockers at one time, but I lost them in the divorce. My ex brother in law wound up with them.

#7 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted September 30, 2013 - 04:57 PM

Well the gallery decided that it wants the picture of the lockers upside down........oh well you get the general idea.  Sawdust. The sheetmetal on the sides of the lockers is not real thick and I would be afraid that they would bend and deform.  I "think" that they are going on the wall opposite the medical cabinets but we shall see.

#8 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted September 30, 2013 - 05:10 PM

Since i really couldnt find a good place to put the next set of pictures, I figured that this would be as good a place as any.......lol

Here is my FREEBIE TRAILER.........My brother in law used to use it to haul his hot air ballon around in until on Saturday morning when a woman decided that she wanted to plow into the drivers side of it.  He was flying the balloon above and the chase crew was parked on the shoulder of the road watching him fly over.  Terry was driving and was COMPLETELY OFF OF THE ROAD, actually sitting in someone's driveway.  The woman came over the hill headed WESTBOUND at 7:15am and hit the driver's side fender and axle. She hit it so hard that it spun her COMPLETELY around in the road. The collision damaged the front passenger fender and bumper area and blew out the tire on the trailer, ripped the fender just about completely off and BENT the axle under the trailer.  Thankfully no one was hurt!  Since the brother in law has been wanting to get a new and larger trailer for a couple of years, this seemed like a good time to upgrade.  He gave me the old one and bought a new 6X12 enclosed trailer.  This one is just 5X8 but it is large enough to haul my 430 in, or at least I hope it is.  I know physically it will fit but my concern is going to be weight distribution.  Once I get it repaired and can try it out, if I cant get the weight distribution right, I can always sell this one and get me a bigger one.  All that I will have in it is the cost of the axle and fenders.

As soon as I have time, I am going to pull the axle out from under it and take it with me to order the new one.  It is a torsion axle and from what I understand there a measurements that are critical so I will let THEM measure it so that they cant blame me if the new one doesnt fit.  Since I have to replace the one fender, I am going to replace both of them and put Diamond Plate aluminum fenders back on it. My big concern right now is the sheet metal where the fender attaches.  It buckled it just enough to make me wonder if I am going to be able to flatten it back out.  I think I can take the plywood off of the wall on the inside and beat it back flat with a little help of someone on the outside.

IMG 3736

IMG 3737

Edited by Robert Webb, September 30, 2013 - 05:12 PM.

• olcowhand said thank you

#9 SupplySergeant ONLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 45293
  • 1,084 Thanks
  • 658 posts

Posted September 30, 2013 - 05:27 PM

Glad to hear the wife is doing better, Robert. I love those cabinets, they should really help deter the kind of smash and grab thief that hits sheds. 

The trailer sheet metal doesn't look too bad, you ought to be able to get it workably flat. Good luck!

#10 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted September 30, 2013 - 05:45 PM

I like those medical cabinets.  They will be good to have for your manual's.  Sounds like you have a good plan for the shed.

I'm not a body guy but I would think you could use a sliding hammer to pull the metal back out.

#11 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 30, 2013 - 06:17 PM

Robert, is the shed's floor supported well enough for the heavy 430?  If not, that can be done.  A rock stop at the door and some good old dense grade & just drive em on in!  Will make a heck of a hobby hole for sure!

• SupplySergeant said thank you

#12 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,765 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted September 30, 2013 - 06:21 PM

Nice little trailer too. Shouldnt be too hard to fix.

#13 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted September 30, 2013 - 06:42 PM

Those medical cabinets look like the ideal storage setup. :thumbs: 

#14 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted September 30, 2013 - 06:48 PM

Daniel........the shed it sitting on concrete footings and pillars every 6 foot but before I start storing tractors in their, I will go back and put some pillars underneath the middle of the floor.  Once I get the garage cleaned out enough, the 400 and 430 will probably live in there.  The 112 and 425 will probably live in the shed or under a lean too that is planned for the back of the building.

• olcowhand and SupplySergeant have said thanks