• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 roadranger OFFLINE  

roadranger
  • Member No: 47159
  • 7 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted September 29, 2013 - 09:07 PM

Got my first tractor to make into a puller. Craftsman 6 speed with a 18 hp Kohler Magnum twin. I want to pull in Stock and Modified Stock classes. Got to put new tires on it, with 23x10.5-12 Carlisle Tru Power on the rear. Got a Kevlar belt on order. Going to go thru the engine and put new fluids, filters, and plugs in it, and flush out and refill the trans axle. I'm thinking of putting full synthetic oil in it, engine and trans axle. Biggest problem will be fitting a pulling hitch to the sloped rear frame plate, but the wheelie bars should be no problem. Any suggestions or advise is appreciated.

Here it is the day I got it home;
OrigR.JPG

Got some of it stripped down before parking in the garage;
Mods3.JPG

Still have to remove this Sleeve Hitch.
Rear.JPG
  • wvbuzzmaster, Dieselcubmike and JRJ have said thanks

#2 motobreeder ONLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted September 29, 2013 - 10:06 PM

Not sure about the advice, but that looks like it has the garden tractor rear end.  3spd with hi-low.

Someone else may be able to tell you more about it.  There were a few different variations of the rear end, ranging from strong to stronger.  Should handle the 18hp Kohler.

My son and I pull with an SS16 in a stock/casual pulling competition.  I mounted a piece of steel under the seat that extends over the lower hitch.  Then used 7/8" all-thread between them with a bunch of nuts to hold it in place.  Not sure if the all-thread would be strong enough for really competitive pulling.

Nice looking garden tractor.  I bet some one here will be inquiring soon about the sleeve hitch.

• Dieselcubmike said thank you

#3 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted September 29, 2013 - 10:13 PM

When I pulled with my sears custom we used the stock holes where the 3 point hitch mounts. Using all thread and a plate for the hitch bracket. When you make the bracket for the chain to hook it should be level so it pulls better. You don't want a sloped hitch.

#4 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted September 30, 2013 - 10:58 AM

And try to keep the hitch as close to the axle as possible . This will help with consistant hitch hieght as the tractor tries to lift the front. :thumbs:

• motobreeder said thank you

#5 Cheetah OFFLINE  

Cheetah
  • Member No: 35081
  • 57 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted October 04, 2013 - 04:36 PM

The rearend should hold up without any problems. We have guys using that rearend with 26x12x12 bar tires and 25 hp motors, so you should be good to go.

Most guys will turn the engine so that the motor pulley lines up with the rearend pulley, and use shorter belt and go direct.

I agree, do not go with a sloped hitch. You may have to cut away what's there and start fresh.

And before following any advice given so far, check with the club's rules you intend to pull with to see if these tips are ok.

#6 roadranger OFFLINE  

roadranger
  • 7 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted October 05, 2013 - 09:14 AM

I'm going to re-engineer the hitch, as the rear frame plate slopes a lot.

Question; will 26x12x12 Carlisle Tru Power tires fit on my stock 8.5 in. wide rims?

or should I just stick with the 23x10.5x12 size Carlisles?

#7 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted October 05, 2013 - 10:53 AM

Your rims are the 12"x7" rims. You will need to get wider rims.

#8 roadranger OFFLINE  

roadranger
  • 7 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted October 05, 2013 - 06:21 PM

OK, I figured that...  Guess will stay with stock size tires as the new aluminum rims to run the 26x12 tires would cost more than the tractor!