31 replies to this topic

#16 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted September 16, 2014 - 12:26 AM

Been a while since I posted about this tractor.

I found a nice 44" mower deck.  Put on a new belt and tried it out.  The bearings appear to be quiet and the PTO clutch works great.

Posting today because I just received the motor isolation mounts: http://www.ebay.com/...=item3a5aa4293d

I'm going to have to lift the motor and remove the old plates.  Inspect the bottom of the motor - hoping for the best.

How do folks fasten the new iso mounts to the rails?  Regular small bolts or do they need to be high-grade?

Also, should I replace the original 4 bolts?  Would they be normal grade 5 or grade 8?

By spring, I'm hoping it will be ready to cut grass.

#17 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 565 Thanks
  • 629 posts

Posted September 16, 2014 - 07:44 PM

You might talk to superaben he's a Ingersoll dealer now. It calls for 3/16 rivet Ingersoll parts are coming down in prices on a lot of parts just a idea.

• motobreeder said thank you

#18 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted September 18, 2014 - 06:34 PM

I think you want 3/16" steel rivets.
Those are larger than most. And not commonly available.
The tool is also not the common one.
You can get them on the Internet.
But, they are not usually found in local stores.

I don't think there is enough room under the plates for bolts.
Most bolts will just snap in that application.

Joe

#19 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted March 22, 2015 - 10:01 PM

I'm not great at keeping folks up to date with progress - slow enough you need time-lapse photography to see the progress.

A few days ago, I saw some tires for sale on the net and picked them up today.

They are rather round looking, but I think will look great as a pair of winter boots.

Much bigger than the the 23x9.5x12's for the cub cadet:

comparison.jpg

The tires are like new.  Not only do they still have the nibs on the treads, they still have the blue line.

tread view.jpg

A few months ago, I bought some truck tire chains that look like they might work.  Will have to see if the "fatty tires" and chains will fit inside the fenders.

with chains.jpg

Even more important - it was a great day:

- Enjoyed meeting the seller - a really nice gentleman

- My new-driver son got some quality time behind the wheel - about 300K's (about 200 miles)

- Great drive in the country on a nice, sunny day

#20 Goatboy OFFLINE  

Goatboy
  • Member No: 10605
  • 30 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted March 29, 2015 - 07:06 PM

Nice score on the tires MB. Didn't now you got a Case. Haven't been on this forum in a while.

I might have a sleeve hitch up for sale if you're interested. Maybe a 48" snowcaster too.

#21 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted March 29, 2015 - 09:34 PM

I may be interested in a sleeve hitch.

I'm really looking for a plow, I'm trying to setup the Case for pushing snow.

#22 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,397 Thanks
  • 1,228 posts

Posted March 29, 2015 - 10:00 PM

Glad to see your 444 is coming along. I myself have the same problem with my teenager commandeering my big wheel. Seems the plow days, the 442 becomes his and I'm stuck on the 226. Kinda funny since I'm twice his size.

uploadfromtaptalk1427684389135.jpg

Eric

#23 Goatboy OFFLINE  

Goatboy
  • Member No: 10605
  • 30 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted March 30, 2015 - 08:12 PM

I may be interested in a sleeve hitch.

I'm really looking for a plow, I'm trying to setup the Case for pushing snow.

Hah!  I'm looking for a plow too! lol

Used the snowcaster a few times on my 446 this winter but it doesn't compare to the 2stage on my Ford which has a cab. 48" width is nice though. It could benefit from a bit of TLC and a rubber flap mod.

I like a blade for light snowfalls. It's quicker than a blower.

The sleeve hitch I have is in decent shape, not great. It's been reinforced on the bottom where it got kinda rusty. I have all the pieces including the lift arm, pins etc. I have a line on a 3 pt, and when that comes through the sleeve will be for sale. Good price.  PM me if you're interested.

#24 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted March 31, 2015 - 06:33 PM

Hah!  I'm looking for a plow too! lol

Used the snowcaster a few times on my 446 this winter but it doesn't compare to the 2stage on my Ford which has a cab. 48" width is nice though. It could benefit from a bit of TLC and a rubber flap mod.
I like a blade for light snowfalls. It's quicker than a blower.

The sleeve hitch I have is in decent shape, not great. It's been reinforced on the bottom where it got kinda rusty. I have all the pieces including the lift arm, pins etc. I have a line on a 3 pt, and when that comes through the sleeve will be for sale. Good price.  PM me if you're interested.

I used my Case 444 with a 48" blower this winter. And, like you I perfer my Ford 42" two stage!
But, in all fairness, my case does need some attention.
And, I'd also like to find a blade for my Case.

Joe

#25 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted April 14, 2015 - 10:10 AM

I'm looking to add a rear PTO (hydraulic output) - I believe this would be sufficient to power a hydraulic wood splitter?

Anyone know if the following splitter would work on a Case 444 tractor?

(I would plan to mount it on a cart)

http://www.northernt...32933_200632933

11965_700x700.jpg

#26 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted April 15, 2015 - 05:31 AM

It doesn't say. But, that looks like a class 1 three point hitch implement.
Just too big and heavy for a Case garden tractor!
The hydraulics might work. But, it won't hook up.
And the tractor won't be able to support the weight.

I believe You can still by the splitter from Case/Ingersoll.
Might be pricy though!

Joe

#27 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted May 08, 2015 - 06:27 AM

New issue to resolve.

Got the Case out to cut grass.  Was running great then just started dying. The inlet on the fuel pump was loose.  Fixed that and the gas spurts out in solid bursts and motor runs great.

BUT - now the fuel pump is leaking oil down the side of the block.  For some reason, the mounting surface on the pump is warped.  I slowly flattened it using some gentle coaxing, but it's still leaking.  I'm using a new pump gasket.

Should I use "form a gasket" or "RTV" silicone sealant to fill in the gaps?

Edited by motobreeder, May 08, 2015 - 08:59 AM.

#28 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted July 23, 2015 - 09:38 PM

A little progress update.

A few weeks ago, I tried using the case to cut grass and it died (walk/push of shame).  Pulled the fuel line and nothing was coming out (yes there is gas in the tank and the vent isn't clogged.)  Tried another pump - same issue, oil leaking down the side of the block and after a few minutes it stopped pumping (another walk/push of shame).

I found a blanking plug in my stuff and went shopping for an electric fuel pump.  Found a nice one at NAPA.  Runs great with the new pump.  Cutting grass was going well until it chugged and died.  Oops, out of gas.  A splash of gas and was able to cut quite a bit of grass.  Until it stopped again.  Started, but wouldn't rev.  Limped home, just above idle.  The bolt holding the condenser came loose.  Quick fix and back to cutting grass.

My son was out cutting grass and the deck belt failed.  Found a source for a belt and pulled the deck covers off.  The sheaves were a bit rusty so I used a bit of sandpaper and took off most of the roughness.  I don't see any grease zerks.

A week later and time to cut grass again.  As I learn how to run the controls (still getting bouts of whiplash), I really like this GT.  Thanks to other members that have described some of the unnerving noises as normal.  Squealing up a hill, grinding on the way down.  Not to mention that my right toes are close to the melting point on of rubber (shoe soles).

Out cutting grass again and it's working great, until it just stopped.   Another walk/push of shame back to the house.  Turns out that a low-voltage wire broke off at the coil.  Fixed that and back I'm back to work.  Until it stopped again.   The temporary wiring for the fuel pump (alligator clips) came off and the tractor stopped again.  A quick re-clip and back to work.

Cut is really nice and clean looking.  This is by far the fastest mower I've used.  I don't mind that it doesn't have the hold-back valve.  Just take it slow on the down-hills and engage the retard position.

Due to the high ride height, I feel more confident using Sears with loaded ags and wheel weights for cutting steeper slopes around the ditches.

• KennyP, Oldford and AllisKidD21 have said thanks

#29 AllisKidD21 OFFLINE  

AllisKidD21
  • Member No: 78009
  • 7 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted November 23, 2015 - 10:48 PM

Nice looking old Case you got there! I myself have an early 70's 444 for grass and snow duty. I love those old tractors, good luck with yours!

• motobreeder and Oldford have said thanks

#30 Potsie33 OFFLINE  

Potsie33
  • Member No: 78182
  • 4 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted December 03, 2015 - 08:29 PM

Hey Motobreeder, nice looking 444! I've found myself a 444 in about the same condition as what yours was when you picked it up and I'm trying to swing a deal for it. Just wondering how you made out with locating a rear pto for it? This one here doesn't have one either and curious as to how your search went or is going for you.

Thanks