coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted December 05, 2010 - 10:52 PM

With all the talk about how bad the new gas is its got me wondering what to do. The MF50 has a 10 gal tank on it. I dont think I will use up that much in a 30 day time frame anytime soon. I have only been putting in 1-2 gal at a time and working off of that. It is a PITA most of the time. So when i finally get it to where its working correctly I plan on filling up the tank, but what do I put in it to counteract the new and improved gas with all its problems that it brings? Seafoam, stabil, octane boost, AV gas, Racing gas?

#2 mastifflawyer OFFLINE  

mastifflawyer

Tractorholic

• Member No: 261
  • 43 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted December 06, 2010 - 06:05 AM

Seafoam is what I use with good results.

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted December 06, 2010 - 06:36 AM

Seafoam is what I use with good results.

:ditto:

Stabil Works good for me as well

#4 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 06, 2010 - 06:49 AM

Stabil is usually what I use.

#5 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted December 06, 2010 - 07:12 AM

I have used seafoam for a long time and have not had to tear a carb apart yet from bad gas. I used to use stabil but it does have a shelf life of it's own. I mix the seafoam about twice as strong as it says to as some of my tractors might not get a full tank of gas run through them in a year.

#6 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted December 06, 2010 - 09:05 AM

Same as tractormike, I used Stabil until I found out it has a shelf life (Seafoam doesn't). I've been using Seafoam for several years now with good results! ~~ grnspot110

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted December 06, 2010 - 09:37 AM

Seafoam helps with more problems than just stabilizing. It also keeps things clean, plus will help with any water that makes it's way into the fuel. And with blended fuels, water can be an issue. Seafoam is what you need. It's pricier, but it'll protect you far more, but not expensive at all compared to problems.

#8 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted December 06, 2010 - 10:07 AM

Seafoam helps with more problems than just stabilizing. It also keeps things clean, plus will help with any water that makes it's way into the fuel. And with blended fuels, water can be an issue. Seafoam is what you need. It's pricier, but it'll protect you far more, but not expensive at all compared to problems.

:ditto: What Dan said..... Best thing I've found for keeping things running good.

#9 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted December 06, 2010 - 11:33 AM

I've never put anything in my gas and don't seem to have a problem. Maybe I should find some wood to knock on?? I'm on an antique outboard group and they recommend a product called startron. Its formulated especially for ethanol gas. They claim that Stabi is now making a simliar product and that their original doesn't work good with ethanol. Maybe that's why there are some bad experiences? Anyway, below is an excerpt from a post about it.
Hi Guys, It's official name is Startron Enzyme Fuel Treatment made by Starbright Corp. I put it in a search and lots of places to buy pop up. The bottle says 16 oz. treats up to 256 gallons so price per gallon is cheap. , I get mine at the local West Marine.
  • nra1ifer said thank you

#10 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted December 06, 2010 - 12:50 PM

I've never put anything in my gas and don't seem to have a problem. Maybe I should find some wood to knock on?? I'm on an antique outboard group and they recommend a product called startron. Its formulated especially for ethanol gas. They claim that Stabi is now making a simliar product and that their original doesn't work good with ethanol. Maybe that's why there are some bad experiences? Anyway, below is an excerpt from a post about it.
Hi Guys, It's official name is Startron Enzyme Fuel Treatment made by Starbright Corp. I put it in a search and lots of places to buy pop up. The bottle says 16 oz. treats up to 256 gallons so price per gallon is cheap. , I get mine at the local West Marine.

Now that's some good information. It will be interesting to see what people's experience with this product will be. According to their "where to buy" search, it's everywhere!

#11 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted December 06, 2010 - 02:47 PM

With the new gas, I've had one engine, an Onan, to stop running. Took the carb apart & nothing but a clear "jelly-like", glop inside. Others have told me it was from the ethanol blend. NEVER had anything like that ever happen when we had "good" gasoline.

#12 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted December 06, 2010 - 04:20 PM

We still have 93 octane up here yet and it is straight gasoline. It is priced right up there with diesel fuel though.

#13 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 06, 2010 - 07:34 PM

By the sounds of it ethanol free gas is going to be impossible to find in the near future. There are a couple of places that currently sell it around us but who knows for how long once the epa has their way. I like the idea of ethanol fuel because it helps support farmers and it is a renewable resource. The affects of it though we can do without. I never knew Stabil had a shelf life either until dad mentioned it to me after he read this thread. I have always heard seafoam mentioned not just as an additive but to help clean out engines also.

#14 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1559
  • 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted December 07, 2010 - 09:00 PM

A chemist who seemed to know what he was talking about told me a good stabilizer for gasoline was 25percent naptha, 60 percent K1 kerosene, and 15 percent isopropyl alchohol. Hey, he was wearing a white coat, had to know what he was doing.

Regards George

#15 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1559
  • 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted December 07, 2010 - 10:31 PM

But seriously, MASTIFFLAWYER did a great post on this in SEAFOAM ANYONE, reply number9.

LAWYER, why not repost here, I think that was great information.