#1 Enginerd OFFLINE  

Enginerd

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 611
  • 61 Thanks
  • 140 posts

Posted December 05, 2010 - 09:58 PM

I can't get my "new" 1050 started. I've got spark, but despite using stater fluid it doesn't even catch. I checked the compression (supposedly the engine was recently rebuilt), and it's got 90psi. That's obviously low, but if it has a compression release cam it might be normal.

Assuming the compression is ok, does anyone have any suggestions? It ran (albiet really rough) when I picked it up. Now, I can't can't get it to run at all. Even if the carb is gummed up, you would think it would start and then die using ether.

I'm stumped.

#2 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted December 05, 2010 - 10:25 PM

An engine needs 3 things to run, air, fuel, and spark. Air is a given, fuel was handled with starter fluid, so I would suspect spark. Spark seems to be the most variable of the three, weak spark, strong spark, yellow spark, blue spark, sparks with plug pulled then wont fire. I would clean and gap the plug or possibly get a new one. If applicable clean and gap the points.

Hope it helps.

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,303 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted December 06, 2010 - 12:03 AM

I would clean and gap the plug or possibly get a new one.

I have lost more hair over plugs... If it says "Champion" I try to throw it away ASAP & find a substitute.
I do this 'cause I know it'll fail when I need it most, I have terrible luck with them, only place I intentionally run them is my Continental 124.

I've seen these plugs show strong until you put them under compression.

#4 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted December 06, 2010 - 12:29 AM

Enginrd POSTED.....

"I can't get my "new" 1050 started. I've got spark, but despite using stater fluid it doesn't even catch. I checked the compression (supposedly the engine was recently rebuilt), and it's got 90psi. That's obviously low, but if it has a compression release cam it might be normal."

I would be careful with the starting fluid, I have had engines fail because of broken rings from using starting fluid. I prefer to use about a cap off of quart of oil, full of gas. With the ignition on, seperate the points and see if you are getting good spark. Then I would try a new spark plug.

I hope this helps, Brian

Edited by olcowhand, December 06, 2010 - 03:01 PM.
fixed the quote

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,698 Thanks
  • 17,207 posts

Posted December 06, 2010 - 06:20 AM

:ditto:

Sounds like a spark/points issue to me.

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 06, 2010 - 03:03 PM

Yep, try a new spark plug right off. May have been fuel fouled. If no start with a new plug, then check spark & get back with us.

#7 Enginerd OFFLINE  

Enginerd

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 61 Thanks
  • 140 posts

Posted December 06, 2010 - 03:57 PM

Awhile back I checked the point gap, and it was in spec. I also checked the manual and confirmed it has the compression release cam, so 90psi is probably fine. I'll pick up a new plug and try that. Next step will be to attempt adjusting the timing. Problem is, I need to de-clutter the garage to get to that side of the tractor, and then I need to rig a light. Good thing it's below freezing by the time I get off of work, otherwise this job might get uncomfortable...

#8 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 06, 2010 - 07:49 PM

Awhile back I checked the point gap, and it was in spec. I also checked the manual and confirmed it has the compression release cam, so 90psi is probably fine. I'll pick up a new plug and try that. Next step will be to attempt adjusting the timing. Problem is, I need to de-clutter the garage to get to that side of the tractor, and then I need to rig a light. Good thing it's below freezing by the time I get off of work, otherwise this job might get uncomfortable...

Did you check the points themselves to see if they are burnt? If they are blackened at all you need to clean them. The other guys are better with engines then I am. Just wanted to throw out the idea of cleaning the points too. I had a heck of a time with the Bolens 1053 and it's points. The strap tab kept grounding out on the cover, I would fix it and thought for sure it was good and it ended up grounding out again.

#9 Enginerd OFFLINE  

Enginerd

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 61 Thanks
  • 140 posts

Posted December 08, 2010 - 11:03 PM

I picked up a new autolite plug, installed it, and she fired right up. Never would have thought that was the issue. Thanks guys!

(I also turned on the gas. Not sure if that had anything to do with it.)
:wallbanging:

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,303 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted December 08, 2010 - 11:21 PM

I picked up a new autolite plug, installed it, and she fired right up. Never would have thought that was the issue. Thanks guys!

Glad you got it running. Oh, And just in case someone misses the fine print...

(I also turned on the gas. Not sure if that had anything to do with it.)
:wallbanging:

(I still think it was the plug, the starting fluid should've made it pop at least)
If I had a dollar for every time I did something like that. I have a friend with a tractor with a hand clutch. If I need to move it at an event, I get on, get it running, and stall it seconds after letting out the clutch, crank,crank,crank,... aw crap.

I can't reach the fuel from the seat... LOL I've done this about 5 times... You'd think I'd still be trainable at 40, guess not.

#11 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted December 09, 2010 - 07:43 AM

Glad you got it running, its always a good feeling to turn the key and hear it crank up.

I missed the fine print also but dont feel like your the lone ranger.

#12 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,698 Thanks
  • 17,207 posts

Posted December 09, 2010 - 07:59 AM

Glad to hear you got it running! :dancingbanana: