17 replies to this topic

#1 Gfann OFFLINE  

Gfann
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10613
  • 193 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted September 29, 2013 - 01:51 AM

I've been using straight unleaded fuel in my older tractors which are mainly from the 60s. I was curious if it would be better if I treated the fuel to become for leaded. Did those older garden run on leaded fuel? What I have specifically is a mid 60s Simplicity, 65 cub, and an early 60s s14 and a 67 s18 Speedex. Do any of you treat your gas if so what do you use and how well does it work?
  • JRJ said thank you

#2 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,312 Thanks
  • 2,340 posts

Posted September 29, 2013 - 02:19 AM

All 1960s small engines have Hardened valve seats.There is no need for a Lead additive.Just try to use a Mid grade fuel if at all possible.89 or higher stay away from E10 Ethanol added Fuel if at all possible.

Edited by EricFromPa, September 29, 2013 - 02:25 AM.

• Gfann and JRJ have said thanks

#3 jd.rasentrac ONLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,448 Thanks
  • 3,998 posts

Posted September 29, 2013 - 04:17 AM

I use unleaded fuel in my 1966 JD112 - no probs

#4 Arti OFFLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,291 Thanks
  • 963 posts

Posted September 29, 2013 - 06:01 AM

Seems like a few drops of Marvel Mystery oil or Seafoam added to the gas works for me.
  • Utah Smitty, KC9KAS, Gfann and 1 other said thanks

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,343 Thanks
  • 28,648 posts

Posted September 29, 2013 - 06:37 AM

A little Seafoam to combat the ethanol and once in a while a little quicksilver 2 cycle or MMO. Not enough to make it a smoker, but enough to give it a little lube.
  • Utah Smitty, KC9KAS, Gfann and 1 other said thanks

#6 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted September 29, 2013 - 06:42 AM

A little Seafoam to combat the ethanol and once in a while a little quicksilver 2 cycle or MMO. Not enough to make it a smoker, but enough to give it a little lube.

That's the recipe right there.  :thumbs:

Ben W.

• MH81, KC9KAS, Gfann and 1 other said thanks

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 29, 2013 - 06:48 AM

You should still use a fuel stabilizer if you don't run your tractors often or when storing them for any more than a month or so. 

#8 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted September 29, 2013 - 07:01 AM

We usually use seafoam. For the ones that are going to sit for a long time I usually try to drain the gas but don't always remember to.

#9 Kyocum OFFLINE  

Kyocum

• Member No: 6171
  • 280 Thanks
  • 403 posts

Posted September 29, 2013 - 07:08 AM

I use a product called Startron and it is a great additive. It combats ethanol issues and I have found my engines start much better in the winter time. I think the best feature is it gives gasoline a 2 year shelf life. I myself have never had any issues with E-10 fuel but just the fact it gives it a 2yr shelf life I'm sold. Been using it for about 5 yrs.

• Utah Smitty, Gfann and JRJ have said thanks

#10 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted September 29, 2013 - 07:27 AM

My formula is mid grade unleaded with a dose of marine Sta-bil, and a cap full of Seafoam and a cap full of Marvel Mystery Oil for each 1 & 1/2 gals of gas.  The only regular and mid-grade we can get has 10% ethanol so I am stuck combating the effects of ethanol.  So far my "blend" has worked well with minimal carb fouling issues and good cold weather starting in both my newer mowers and snow blower and my older tractors.

• Utah Smitty, Gfann and JRJ have said thanks

#11 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted September 29, 2013 - 09:22 AM

I add 16 oz can of SEAFOAM to 5 gallons of gasoline every time I refill the can.

I use this fuel for the GT's, and the fuel for the 2 cycle weedeater, saw and leaf blower.

I also use the SEAFOAM in my motorcycles. Very good product!

#12 thirdroc17 OFFLINE  

thirdroc17

• Member No: 1805
  • 36 Thanks
  • 91 posts

Posted October 03, 2013 - 06:00 PM

Just a curiosity question.  With all the blends and additives some of you are adding, have you ever added up the final cost per gallon?   Some of that stuff is expensive, and you must be getting close to the $10 a gallon mark on the final mixtures.

I run a couple ounces of StaBil in 5 gallons because sometimes it sits a long time.  Like a year or more in some the lesser used tractors.  Never had any problems.

As for the original question of lead, all gasoline was originally unleaded.  It was around the 70's sometime the oil giants learned they could throw lead in crap gas and get higher octane and higher profits.   Then the car companies figured out they could get cheap on the internal parts because of the lead, and create higher profits.  When unleaded first "came out" it was actually a step backwards in time.

• sacsr and Gfann have said thanks

#13 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,526 Thanks
  • 39,746 posts

Posted October 03, 2013 - 06:17 PM

I chose Seafoam over Stabil. 1 ounce per gallon and I'm done. Had them start 18 months later with this mix using unleaded fuel!

• Utah Smitty, dogsoldier, KC9KAS and 1 other said thanks

#14 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted October 04, 2013 - 07:26 PM

"Just a curiosity question. With all the blends and additives some of you are adding, have you ever added up the final cost per gallon? Some of that stuff is expensive, and you must be getting close to the $10 a gallon mark on the final mixtures."

I just figured th cost per gallon with the SEAFOAM, and it is $5.00 +/- a gallon.....Depending on the fuel cost on any given day.

This is a small price to pay for the satisfaction of knowing this mixture will HELP my engines instead of causing damage/problems using stratght fuel with 10% ethanol.

It is a conspiracy that we have to add these extras to the fuel in the 1st place!

• Utah Smitty and Gfann have said thanks

#15 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 10:13 PM

Just a curiosity question.  With all the blends and additives some of you are adding, have you ever added up the final cost per gallon?   Some of that stuff is expensive, and you must be getting close to the $10 a gallon mark on the final mixtures.

I run a couple ounces of StaBil in 5 gallons because sometimes it sits a long time.  Like a year or more in some the lesser used tractors.  Never had any problems.

As for the original question of lead, all gasoline was originally unleaded.  It was around the 70's sometime the oil giants learned they could throw lead in crap gas and get higher octane and higher profits.   Then the car companies figured out they could get cheap on the internal parts because of the lead, and create higher profits.  When unleaded first "came out" it was actually a step backwards in time.

Some gas may have been unleaded in the old days, but I worked in a Sinclair Station (western US gasoline chain) in the late 60s.  The pumps were the Tokheims that used a hand crank to reset the dials before you started pumping.  I still remember there was a large placard beneath the hole for the fuel nozzle that stated the fuel contained Tetraethyl lead.

FWIW,

Smitty

• Gfann said thank you