coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted December 05, 2010 - 06:48 PM

We left off with the engine bogging down severly when the wheels were trying to turn. This lead me to believe that 1: I have the pressure relief set too high 2: that there is something causing severe binding with the steering system.

After decorating the tree this morning and everyone in the house getting a nap, the kids decided to bounce off the walls. So we decided to bundle up and venture outside. We got the outside lights up and what do you know, we had alot of daylight left. I took the kids down to the tractor and gave them their first ever Bucket ride. I didnt get them more than 5 ft off the ground but there eyes were shining brighter than the noon day sun. :dancingbanana:

I had the tie rods disconnected so I reattached the left side (from driver seat) first. The tire turned effortlessly. I then disconnected it and reattached the right side tie rod. The engine sarted bogging down as soon as I touched the steering wheel, it could barely turn the wheel. That pretty much pin pointed where the problem is. I then jacked up the front of the tractor to take the weight off of the front wheels. I could turn the left one side to side by hand, I cant budge the right one. I do believe the spinde is frozen in the spindle housing. I tried knocking it loose with a brass sledge hammer (wonderful tool BTW) and had no luck. So I left it with a good coating of used ATF fluid in hopes that it will soak down a little. I will be ordering parts and getting an assortment of zerks (most all have been brocken off) ready for the christmas break i have comming. I think with a little heat and big hammer I will get this thing licked.

#2 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted December 05, 2010 - 07:02 PM

It sounds like you are on the right track to fixing your steering problem, good detective work! I hope you can get some oil worked into the stuck spindle and get it to free up. Any chance that the spindle is bent a bit and that is causing your problem?

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 05, 2010 - 07:23 PM

With it having a loader on there is a good chance the spindle could be bent. I am glad the detective work paid off and let you pinpoint the problem. :thumbs:

#4 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted December 05, 2010 - 08:16 PM

I dont think its bent, maybe a little twisted possibly. I will be ordering numbers 9 and 18. I think thats where my problems will be. Since I dont want to get the tractor high enough in the air to drop the spindle out I will probably just pull the Axle extentsion (10) out and block up tha side of the tractor.

Attached Thumbnails

• spindle copy.jpg

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,608 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted December 05, 2010 - 08:23 PM

Good chance it's just frozen up tight.

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted December 05, 2010 - 08:34 PM

Glad you're getting it tracked down. If you can force a little ATF & acetone in there, and work it back/forth you might get lucky.

#7 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 05, 2010 - 08:49 PM

I dont think its bent, maybe a little twisted possibly. I will be ordering numbers 9 and 18. I think thats where my problems will be. Since I dont want to get the tractor high enough in the air to drop the spindle out I will probably just pull the Axle extentsion (10) out and block up tha side of the tractor.

After seeing the diagram I don't think it would be possible to bend that spindle. Well just the end of it but that wouldn't cause any binding. With all that metal inside the sleeve there is a lot of surface area for rust to cause the binding.

#8 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted December 05, 2010 - 09:17 PM

Coldone,

I would be suprised if the spindle is frozen. The spindle housing should use taper style bearings top and bottom. Usually, you can drop the spindle out by taking the front wheel off the other side and letting the hub down to the ground. You don't have to raise the front very high off the ground that way. You did say that it had a loader, if it has 2way cylinders on the lift, you can raise the front of the tractor with the loader, and then block it up.

I hope this helps, Brian
  • coldone said thank you

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,608 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted December 05, 2010 - 10:04 PM

Just the bottom has bearings. The top is bushing, and seen many freeze up like welded.

#10 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted December 05, 2010 - 10:13 PM

Coldone,

I would be suprised if the spindle is frozen. The spindle housing should use taper style bearings top and bottom. Usually, you can drop the spindle out by taking the front wheel off the other side and letting the hub down to the ground. You don't have to raise the front very high off the ground that way. You did say that it had a loader, if it has 2way cylinders on the lift, you can raise the front of the tractor with the loader, and then block it up.

I hope this helps, Brian

Thanks for the idea of dropping the tire off the other side!

It has bushing and a thrust on the bottom, it would be nice to have taper bearings but.
The FEL only has one way cylinders. It was fun and exciting to jack up with my little screw/scissors jack. Make a turn and get up to hit the valve and let the FEL down a little. Dont worry, i left it with the jack, two jack stands, and the FEL holding it up. :D

I think a little heat and little hammering will get it going. I was going to try to force some grease in there but the zerk was broken. I tried taking another one out of another place but it was the wrong size and daylight was running out. I beleive the hardest thing I am going to have to do is replace all the zerks on the thing.:mecry:

Edited by coldone, December 05, 2010 - 10:18 PM.