LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 7,653 posts

Posted September 28, 2013 - 06:40 PM

I once had a Kohler 301 that wouldn't start/run. It drove me nuts troubleshooting it. Finally using a multi-meter, I found that one of the wires on the coil was tarnished, not corroded, tarnished. I polished it and all was good.

The moral: check everything!

• Alc said thank you

#17 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,609 posts

Posted September 28, 2013 - 08:32 PM

Is  there  anyway  on this engine that  you could check the  timing   with a timing  light ,  wasn't   there a tool you would put in the spark plug hole and whistle  when tdc  then you could mark a pulley and then crank and see how close it   was

http://www.toolaid.c...enter-indicator

Found the tool 

Edited by Alc, September 28, 2013 - 08:38 PM.

• wvbuzzmaster and KennyP have said thanks

#18 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,729 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted September 28, 2013 - 09:42 PM

This one is cheaper

• MH81, OldBuzzard, Alc and 3 others have said thanks

#19 AVB OFFLINE  

AVB
  • Member No: 45301
  • 138 Thanks
  • 135 posts

Posted September 28, 2013 - 10:59 PM

How do you know it is firing under compression?  I agree with the others pull the cowling and check the fly wheel.

Those are my thoughts, check timing, and replace spark plugs. Do you have another engine that you can test the spark plugs in, or borrow the spark plugs to try in this engine?

Or another option is to use an inline spark tester. Even without an actual inline spark tester you could ground a regular spark tester to the spark plug terminal to use it as an inline tester as long as the gap isn't too large.

Edited by AVB, September 28, 2013 - 11:07 PM.

#20 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted September 29, 2013 - 08:18 AM

This one is cheaper

Ryan and I watched that twice, laughing.

Way to use your thinker Willie!
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#21 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted September 29, 2013 - 08:22 AM

Get rid of the E3 plugs, you might be surprised as they seem to foul real easy.

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#22 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,609 posts

Posted September 29, 2013 - 08:46 AM

I guess i'm dumb but what are E3 plugs ?   Willie , can't wait until the dog gets a new toy because the first thing he does is try getting the squeeker out and I'll  make one like yours ,

#23 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted September 29, 2013 - 10:59 AM

I guess i'm dumb but what are E3 plugs ?

Best thing since sliced bread :De3.jpg

In theory more spark area should be a good thing, >>> But in reality they don't hold up well and foul easy. I've tried them a few times in a pinch until I could get a standard plug. 

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#24 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 29, 2013 - 01:18 PM

Took the engine off and took it down to the flywheel and inspected the key, which was in perfect condition, even the Briggs logo stamped into the side looked new. So it isn't that and the gap on the magneto looks good still, going todoublebcheck it though. The magnet is fine, still as clean as the day I cleaned it up for the new magneto. It isn't perfectly clean but I didn't want o risk degagnetizing it. So I have checking it all, and the E3 plugs are staying, it isn't those, they are making spark. I don't know what is wrong with the engine, but ready to give up on it and buy a new Briggs Vanguard to swap in to the tractor.

#25 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 7,653 posts

Posted September 29, 2013 - 06:17 PM

Oh, that would be way too easy. We're just getting started on this. How about making this a contest with the winner getting a free subscription to GTTalk???

#26 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 29, 2013 - 06:40 PM

This is an ongoing problem with this tractor.

#27 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted September 29, 2013 - 06:55 PM

Took the engine off and took it down to the flywheel and inspected the key, which was in perfect condition, even the Briggs logo stamped into the side looked new. So it isn't that and the gap on the magneto looks good still, going todoublebcheck it though. The magnet is fine, still as clean as the day I cleaned it up for the new magneto. It isn't perfectly clean but I didn't want o risk degagnetizing it. So I have checking it all, and the E3 plugs are staying, it isn't those, they are making spark. I don't know what is wrong with the engine, but ready to give up on it and buy a new Briggs Vanguard to swap in to the tractor.

Casey you should try a different set of plugs in that engine, I had one of those 18hp opposed twins for 8yrs, most reliable, consistent engine I had,I never changed the plugs, I think it had Champions in it.

#28 bread320i OFFLINE  

bread320i
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 416
  • 593 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted September 29, 2013 - 07:10 PM

This summer I learned that not all spark plugs are good.

I was working on an old rope start Wisconsin Engine. I darn near pulled my are off trying to get it running. I had spark fuel and compression. I figured any spark was good enough to run.

Well I changed the plug per the wifes request and it started on the first pull.

At a minimum pull plugs off a running tractor and see what happens.

• HDWildBill said thank you

#29 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,609 posts

Posted September 30, 2013 - 05:50 AM

Casey , did you ever find the compression specs ? With the ignition disabled choke and throttle wide open will it pull a good vacuum with you hand over the carb ? Just trying to think of things to try if it doesn't work with new plugs . And I still don't belive your dad hasn't figured it out ,,, or maybe he knows and he's pissed at you lol   Good luck

#30 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 30, 2013 - 09:46 PM

No, never found what the compression is supposed to be. Dad has been mentoring me a little from afar but I have been getting more and more disgusted with the tractor (engine). I'm ready to replace the engine, dad doesn't think I should give up. PersonaLy, I don't know if this engine has 500 hours, 1500 hours, or 2500 hours. I mean the tractor has had a roughish life before I got it. I mean I can plop a new vanguard on it and an hour meter and it could last me 25 years trouble free. I'm convinced ive probably spent 300 - 500 trying to fix this recurring issue, that's part way to a new vanguard....