Rear Tire Replacement

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 willy1094 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 15926
  • 38 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted September 28, 2013 - 01:12 AM

Has anyone attempted to replace a 16" rear tire at home (without tire equipment)?  If so, was it worth saving $20 and any tips or tricks?

• JRJ said thank you

#2 Bob 537 OFFLINE  

Bob 537
  • Member No: 10133
  • 68 Thanks
  • 127 posts

Posted September 28, 2013 - 06:09 AM

If you do it yourself use lots of soap or some kind of lubricant that will not destroy the rubber on the new tire
Risks you run into without the equipment is damage to the bead on the tire

If its only 20$ to have them do it. That's the road I would take

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,493 Thanks
  • 7,366 posts

Posted September 28, 2013 - 06:49 AM

Shop around. I bought my old manual tire changer for $25 30 years ago and have used it 100s of times. The hardest part is breaking the bead. When I am away from my changer, I use an old bumper jack on my trucks tow hitch to force the bead down. You do need the right sized spoons and it is a hassle. Becarefull it is easy to really get hurt. You are probably best off having it done. Shop around, my local guy only charges $5 to change a tire. Good Luck, Rick

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 28, 2013 - 07:17 AM

Without a changer I wouldn't risk it. They can be stuck good and can be frustrating and when you get frustrated you use more force to get it done and end up damaging the tire. That's my experience. 

#5 tractorfriend OFFLINE  

• Member No: 47144
  • 11 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted September 28, 2013 - 07:45 AM

I replaced the rear tires on my 1946/47 Gibson a couple of years ago. I used iron bars, pieces of 2 x 4 and 4 x 4, a sledge hammer, Blaster rust-remover, etc., to remove the old tires--they were the original ones. I did get them off after much effort without nicking or denting the rims, but I wouldn't care to go through this again. Growing up on a farm in South Dakota, I had watched my dad and others do this, so I had an idea what I was up against and how to go about it. Putting the new tires on was a cinch in comparison. As stated, you do need to lubricate the rims, and you do want to be careful so you don't gouge the rubber. Effort and timewise, having a tire shop do this would be more logical . $20 is a bargain, considering what's involved. 

• Sawdust said thank you

#6 Gtractor OFFLINE  

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,385 Thanks
  • 3,807 posts

Posted September 28, 2013 - 08:05 AM

I've broken down hundreds if not thousands of tires from lawn mower to semi truck and farm tractor.   I'd take a 16 incher over an 8 [or smaller] incher any day.  Work an area of the bead and move over a few inches to another spot and work some more. You may think you are not getting anywhere and can't see that you are making progress but it will eventually move - just keep at it.  Unless its real rusty you should have it broken down in 10 minutes - likely less.  Try it and see what happens.  If you get tired [my problem these days] or can't get it, then take it to a tire shop.  I always like the challenge of learning something new and you could use that knowledge/skill the rest of your life.  :thumbs:

#7 Sawdust OFFLINE  

• Member No: 36549
  • 4,516 Thanks
  • 2,827 posts

Posted September 28, 2013 - 10:34 AM

I guess I'm like most others...I watched my Dad do this many times using a bumper jack. I do it because I just don't like paying someone else to do something I can do myself. Give it a try..if you can't finish it then take it to the shop. 

#8 countryboy88 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8702
  • 76 Thanks
  • 131 posts

Posted September 29, 2013 - 06:14 PM

I have done a few 14" car tires it wasn't too hard. Try youtube for how to videos. Good luck.  :thumbs:

#9 Cvans ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,322 Thanks
  • 4,917 posts

Posted September 29, 2013 - 07:15 PM

I use my hydraulic press to break the beads. Then I use it to hold the wheel while I remove and install the tire. Otherwise it can be like wrestling a greased pig. 

#10 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,048 Thanks
  • 4,977 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 09:46 AM

I'd pay 20 bucks any day of the week to save me a lot of hassle, blood, sweat and tears. 

But then again if you've never done it, everyone needs to experience once!