#1 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted September 27, 2013 - 07:59 PM

Well, for some of you at plow day knew that I was having issues with my Sears OH160 charging. It pooped out on me almost as soon as I started plowing in the morning. I blew a main fuse, replaced that thanks to NASHCUB and still nothing. One time I thought I smelt something burning, but saw nothing, had a short day plowing.

I figured the 40 yr old regulator died so I ordered a 20 amp Onan regulator, it came in today. Bolted it on, hooked up wires and gave it a shot. I did noticed tractor was hard to start to even with my custom ignition on it when I drove from back barn up to garage to work on it.

It would not start after I installed regulator and this time I saw smoke coming up from under tins near where main wires come from under flywheel.....RUT ROH!!!!! Hope I didn't burn up my new regulator.

Pulled tins and flywheel and here we are, wires burnt up on stator, 1 is literally in half. I think the issue came from me either degreasing/hosing motor down Thursday before plow day or it got really wet during my rainy drive down.

Soooo, for your viewing pleasure. Lucky I didn't catch tractor on fire.  :biting_nails:

front

photobucket-1005-1380326940971_zpsbb4d57

backside

photobucket-10420-1380327039307_zps9b0c1

photobucket-6771-1380326990715_zps9757ea

• MH81, KennyP, sacsr and 4 others have said thanks

#2 SupplySergeant OFFLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 45293
  • 1,084 Thanks
  • 658 posts

Posted September 27, 2013 - 08:08 PM

OUCH! Glad that didn't do anything worse on you. Did you get any seat time on other tractors?

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted September 27, 2013 - 08:15 PM

Sorry to hear the Sears is needing an operation. Is this a save able stator with some insulation or is it time to go hunting?

#4 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted September 27, 2013 - 08:40 PM

OUCH! Glad that didn't do anything worse on you. Did you get any seat time on other tractors?

No Kenny offered the FF, but I didn't. I got a few rounds in the morning, then went out for a few rounds later afternoon with the Sears.

Sorry to hear the Sears is needing an operation. Is this a save able stator with some insulation or is it time to go hunting?

I will be hunting, wires burnt up pretty bad and one is burnt in half. a lot of juice going through there.

I have another one off my other ST16 I will use for now, I'll never get it running as many parts I've swapped onto this one.

#5 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted September 27, 2013 - 09:18 PM

At least you found the problem. I wonder if the stuff off a oh140 would fit your Sears?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

#6 SupplySergeant OFFLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 45293
  • 1,084 Thanks
  • 658 posts

Posted September 27, 2013 - 11:22 PM

Good luck, electrical problems are the worst. 

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted September 28, 2013 - 01:52 AM

Ouch! Glad it didn't get worse. I hope the regulator isn't hurt.

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 28, 2013 - 07:26 AM

That's burnt pretty bad. If your engine was full of grass and oil it could have started a fire. Chances are the regulator is fine. The shorted windings would reduce the voltage going to the regulator to pretty much 0 so it wouldn't be doing any regulating or charging. You may want to check your old regulator. It may still be good. If you can figure out how it's wound you could repair it if you had the correct gauge wire. An electric motor shop might be worth a shot. They may be able to rewind it for you at less cost then a new one. 

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,608 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted September 28, 2013 - 09:05 AM

Marty, I was so busy with the PR side of things, I didn't realize your tractor laid down on you.  My apologies!

#10 Oo-v-oO OFFLINE  

Oo-v-oO

• Contributor
  • Member No: 5162
  • 340 Thanks
  • 448 posts

Posted September 28, 2013 - 01:11 PM

Looks like it let the magic smoke out. My condolences! 

#11 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted September 28, 2013 - 08:07 PM

At least you found the problem. I wonder if the stuff off a oh140 would fit your Sears?

Heck ya it would, does it have a good stator? Shoot me a $$$

That's burnt pretty bad. If your engine was full of grass and oil it could have started a fire. Chances are the regulator is fine. The shorted windings would reduce the voltage going to the regulator to pretty much 0 so it wouldn't be doing any regulating or charging. You may want to check your old regulator. It may still be good. If you can figure out how it's wound you could repair it if you had the correct gauge wire. An electric motor shop might be worth a shot. They may be able to rewind it for you at less cost then a new one. 

It probably could be repaired, but much cheaper finding a used one. I think my washing it down with water killed it, I'm so used to doing it with newer ones and my vehicles.

Marty, I was so busy with the PR side of things, I didn't realize your tractor laid down on you.  My apologies!

Daniel, not a big thing. Not much you could have done, I had no intentions of tearing into at your place.

I installed stator from my other motor, then tried to start. Spun good, but won't start...what the?? :wallbanging:

I start checking to see if coil is getting juice and nothing. I have an in line fuse holder and nothing from battery to fuse. UGH

Fuse is good but no juice to the fuse, there is only 2 freakin connectors, com'on now! I ended up cutting the hard rubber housing from the fuse holder and low and behold wire is pulled out. I don't understand  how it could happen, the wire has tons of slack, no pressure and the rubber is molded around wire, must've been made poorly with strands barely in fuse connector and finally pulled out with me jerking it around.

I had  bday party and my mom is in hospital so have to wait until I can pick up new fuse holder and re-wire, hopefully tomorrow. This old Tec is starting to get the best of me, GGGRRRRR :(

#12 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted September 29, 2013 - 07:42 AM

My other stator mounted, hopefully it will be running and charging this evening

2013-09-28_11-14-56_900_zps182a956a.jpg

• olcowhand said thank you

#13 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted September 29, 2013 - 08:00 AM

Pm sent on parts

• TAHOE said thank you

#14 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted September 29, 2013 - 06:44 PM

IT's ALIVE!!!! Well, got stator replaced, new Onan regulator all hooked up, and installed new fuse holder to juice coil.....all works now as supposed to. It was putting out close to 15 amps right after start up, but I had ran it at plow day without charging and trying to start here at house, battery in need of good charging, it was slowly dropping amps as I let it run.

Hopefully it's all good to go now.

Stupid Harbor freight charger burnt up on me yesterday trying to boost my craftsman too....ugh!! :wallbanging:  

Less than a year old, get what ya pay for

Pic of new regulator installed.

regulator_zps915dc284.jpg

#15 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,608 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted September 29, 2013 - 06:54 PM

Look inside the charger.  Sometimes the wires come un-soldered from the diode plate.  Plus there is usually a thermal protector, and they can go bad, cutting off the juice.

• TAHOE said thank you