• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 566 Thanks
  • 630 posts

Posted September 27, 2013 - 05:47 PM

What kind of value for non running 1983 318 fairly rough shape? 

• JRJ said thank you

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 27, 2013 - 08:46 PM

If the steering orbitor and cylinder are OK, they bring about $300.00 on Ebay. The rest is up to you.

• gopher said thank you

#3 AverageJoe OFFLINE  

AverageJoe

• Contributor
  • Member No: 365
  • 104 Thanks
  • 142 posts

Posted September 27, 2013 - 09:00 PM

About the highest I've seen a non-runner go for is $500, but condition is everything.  If you could get it for $300 or less, you could make your money back parting it out.

• gopher said thank you

#4 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted September 28, 2013 - 10:37 AM

Most scrap yards in my area very seldom ask more than a $100. for a non runner. Try to bargain with them & like mentioned buy it & part it out.

• gopher said thank you

#5 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• 566 Thanks
  • 630 posts

Posted September 28, 2013 - 05:17 PM

Most scrap yards in my area very seldom ask more than a $100. for a non runner. Try to bargain with them & like mentioned buy it & part it out.

I can get it for good price I work there jut didn't know if worth messing with. Here are some of my finds.

Attached Thumbnails

• 3016.jpg
  • SAM_0082.JPG
  • SAM_0086.JPG

• JRJ said thank you

#6 DPike43 OFFLINE  

DPike43
  • Member No: 47086
  • 28 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted September 30, 2013 - 12:25 AM

That's a nice Ingersoll, and JD214, to be a junkyard buy.

• gopher said thank you

#7 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• 566 Thanks
  • 630 posts

Posted April 24, 2014 - 07:20 PM

After looking at this 318 for more than 6 months I decided to take it . Traded iron for it. It has a Onan b43g. The gas lines were off the pulse pump.And where I think the vacuum nipple should be like on my Onan 16 hp there is what looks like a factory plug in block . Is there someplace else on these motors for vacuum hookup?

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted April 25, 2014 - 06:55 AM

Just watch that pulse pump as they can suck gas into the crankcase.

#9 Hammerdown OFFLINE  

Hammerdown
  • Member No: 46960
  • 127 Thanks
  • 74 posts

Posted April 26, 2014 - 03:42 AM

After looking at this 318 for more than 6 months I decided to take it . Traded iron for it. It has a Onan b43g. The gas lines were off the pulse pump.And where I think the vacuum nipple should be like on my Onan 16 hp there is what looks like a factory plug in block . Is there someplace else on these motors for vacuum hookup?

Hello Gopher

The Impulse line is on the rear of the Onan fuel Pump you will have to remove it from the blower housing to see it. It is Not uncommon for these Older Onan Pump's to get plugged up and many guy's toss them away, but they can be flushed with Carburetor cleaner and blown clean with compressed air. Just be careful Pulling the rubber diaphram before doing so. I hope this helps, Hammerdown

• gopher and toppop52 have said thanks

#10 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• 566 Thanks
  • 630 posts

Posted April 26, 2014 - 06:49 PM

Thank you Hammerdown. I was just about ready to start looking for  elec pump. Every thing I read said hole in shroud what was throwing me the pump has 4 nipples 2 top 2 bottom with no hoses hooked to it I assumed the hole was below it. Long story short I hooked up my gravity tank got it running . I have a few things to work on, solenoid,stuck out side hydraulic valve and stuck on rear pto.

#11 Hammerdown OFFLINE  

Hammerdown
  • 127 Thanks
  • 74 posts

Posted April 27, 2014 - 04:45 AM

Thank you Hammerdown. I was just about ready to start looking for  elec pump. Every thing I read said hole in shroud what was throwing me the pump has 4 nipples 2 top 2 bottom with no hoses hooked to it I assumed the hole was below it. Long story short I hooked up my gravity tank got it running . I have a few things to work on, solenoid,stuck out side hydraulic valve and stuck on rear pto.

Hello Gopher

I would not suggest using an electric fuel pump on your 318. Some guy's do, but most I have seen are way too much pressure than what is needed to keep that Onan running good and eventually it could cause your Carburetor to flood or boil over due to the higher pressure involved. You can take the Onan Fuel pump apart to clean it. There is a rubber diaphram inside of it take that out carefuly and use some Gum-Out Carburetor cleaner in it's Ports along with some compressed air to dislodge crud or anything that can be restricting fuel flow. In most cases when the Onan fuel pump quits pumping fuel, it is Trash plugging up inside it's ports. I run Two se through Gas filter's on my 318 as well to Trap any Trash that may come from the gas Tank. They are both mounted close to the fire wall area. One is in the line that comes from the gas Tank before it hit's the fuel Pump, and the other gas filter is in the line that deliver's Gas to the carburetor. I have not had any fuel issues since I Placed the dual fuel filters on mine, I hope this Help's, Hammerdown

#12 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted April 27, 2014 - 06:20 AM

Nice find!  That 318 is a good tractor to have.  I want to work where you are...or at least come by for a visit when u get another great garden tractor in!

#13 Hammerdown OFFLINE  

Hammerdown
  • 127 Thanks
  • 74 posts

Posted April 27, 2014 - 06:48 AM

Hello Gopher

I have had my 1983 John Deere 318 for about seven year's now. I found it sitting in the back row of a John Deere Tri-Agri dealership. It had a flat left front tire and dead battery. I asked the mechanic if I could borrow the shop Jumper cables as I wanted to check out the old 318 out back, and he handed them to me. I Placed the jumper cables on the battery and it came to life. It did not smoke or have any engine noise so I shut it back down. I returned the jumper's and went to the show room to locate a sales guy. I asked him if the 318 was for sale ? He said that it was but that it did not run. I did not argue with him, I simply asked how much for it the way that it sit's right now ? He reasponded with "Three". It was in nice enough shape that I asked Grand ? he said No Hundred and I quickly told him sold. I paid for it and Picked it up on Monday as it was Saturday when I saw it and the dealership was a stiff Three hour drive from my house. I was there to attend a Gun show but ended up Buying a John Deere 318 Instead. It came to me with an almost brand new Replacement 48" mowing deck on it. I got it home serviced it charged it's battery and used it Five year's with No issues. I then restored it and Placed a new fresh Onan P-218 engine in it. I located a used Model 54" four way Hydraulic Dirt dozer blade that needed sanding down and re-painting for $100.00 and restored it too. I then Located a Model 30 Hydraulic tiller for it so now my John Deere 318 Package is complete as shown. To me, The John Deere 318 is the Very best Lawn & Garden Tractor that John Deere ever built then or since. Regards, Hammerdown

001620.JPG

002547.JPG

011224.JPG

005_528_x_396_.jpg

#14 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• 566 Thanks
  • 630 posts

Posted April 27, 2014 - 07:25 AM

I really appreciate your help Hammerdown. That is one fine looking tractor you have. Compared to yours mine is a scrap yard candidate with a little luck I can get it back to being a worker. Speaking of work I better get going running a little late. 

#15 Hammerdown OFFLINE  

Hammerdown
  • 127 Thanks
  • 74 posts

Posted April 28, 2014 - 05:31 AM

I really appreciate your help Hammerdown. That is one fine looking tractor you have. Compared to yours mine is a scrap yard candidate with a little luck I can get it back to being a worker. Speaking of work I better get going running a little late. 

Hello Gopher

Take your time on your's it can look as nice as mine does. I restored mine as well as a 1991 John Deere 316 for my son in law that he is now using to mow his lawn with. I Paid just $300.00 for mine and $50.00 for his John Deere 316. It has the Onan P-218 engine in it like mine does but it was a Lot Rougher than mine was. It took me Six Grueling weeks to build his 1991 John Deere 316 for him, I started this past February and finished it in Early April. Here is how it looked the day that I brought it home as well as finished sitting beside my 1983 John Deere 318. he has a Grand Total of $632.00 in it completly restored and it is a Tractor with only 349.2 Hours on it. The rust was caused by where it lived being Stuart, Florida very close to the Ocean the salt air caused all of the rust issues with it. I hope this inspires you to restore yours these Tractor's are well worth it they are as Tough as Nails. Regards, Hammerdown

001705.JPG

004260.JPG

002609.JPG

004526.JPG

001736.JPG

002649.JPG

003600.JPG

005466.JPG

001735.JPG

002648.JPG

003599.JPG

004525.JPG