18 replies to this topic

#1 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,228 Thanks
  • 5,070 posts

Posted September 27, 2013 - 04:11 PM

Pulled my dodge ram 1500 out of the field today. Because I was going to trade it for the jeep. I wanted to service again and make sure everything was good besides the flaws i told him about. Changed the oil, cleaned it all over, put new oil in and take it for a ride. Reach operting temp, stop get some gas, start it up no oil pressure after 5 miles. Pull over check my oil, plug, filter, and its all good. Start it up, oil pressure fine, few miles later no pressure. I leap frogged it home. 

Change sending unit, no better. Drain the oil with 30 miles on it looks like tar. I guess the oil turned to sludge i was over about 3k on my usual 5k intervals clogged the pick up tube. Bought some cheap oil, and 2 gallons of k1. Put 2 quarts in, and 4 quarts of k1, started it, let it warm up, had good pressure. Then I dumped the rest of the k1 in. Maybe just maybe itll clean out. Going to let it soak over night and see what results I get in the AM

not what I need right now. I dont to be driving a 2 wheel peel ranger in the winter and I really dont want to start another loan when I just became debt free minus the mortage.
  • Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted September 27, 2013 - 04:17 PM

Sounds like the jeep liberty my son had.  One minute you had oil pressure the next you didn't.  Good luck!

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,748 Thanks
  • 7,520 posts

Posted September 27, 2013 - 04:20 PM

The first car I got was 1967 and my dad taught me that kerosene trick. Good Luck, Rick

#4 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,228 Thanks
  • 5,070 posts

Posted September 27, 2013 - 04:23 PM

My dad suggested the k1 trick. His dad taught him. Its a family tradition!

#5 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,472 Thanks
  • 5,006 posts

Posted September 27, 2013 - 09:18 PM

Rislone or Marvel Mystery Oil will clean up sludge. Good luck with your trade.

#6 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,228 Thanks
  • 5,070 posts

Posted September 28, 2013 - 05:04 PM

I agree that rislone and mm are good stuff in this case I had more than minor sludge as you will read. I wish I would of snapped pictures.

the k1 helped. But once again it broke up more and layed more sludge in the pan. Causing the oil pressure to fade in and out even worse. I should say it was better but because the oil pressure went in and out quicker.

I got annoyed enough that I pulled the pan. It was either pull the pan or set the truck on fire. Awhile that would of been more fun I figured it was a bad idea. 2" of sludge in the bottom of the pan. The oil pick up tube clogged. The screen was packed.

cleaned it all out. Ordered a new gasket, and pick up tube(just to be safe).

Will be in tuesday. Ill see what happens I think it will take care of the problem.

I am going to keep the truck now and just run it. Im growing fond of it spending time under it. Me and this truck has been through a lot together

Edited by toomanytoys84, September 28, 2013 - 06:04 PM.

• HDWildBill said thank you

#7 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,472 Thanks
  • 5,006 posts

Posted September 28, 2013 - 10:56 PM

It's good you decided to do it right. I think you'll be happier in the long run

I bought a 97 f-150 from the neighbors with a bad engine. One owner with 140,000 miles and had been driven like a car. $500 and how could I go wrong. So far it's been a new engine and replace everything to the back bumper except the transmission. Crazy thing is I like the truck and it's a stick and get's good mileage. So I keep it and have no regrets. Hopefully you won't either.

• Texas Deere and Horse, HDWildBill and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#8 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,445 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted September 29, 2013 - 06:15 AM

A fellow I know who had a Dodge too with the same issue . If I remember right when he pulled the pan to clean the sluge he found the part where the drain plug raised about 1/2" packed will hard sludge . Maybe the po didn't bring the engine to operating temp before changing ?
  • HDWildBill and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#9 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted September 29, 2013 - 07:47 PM

I hear of this alot more on 1) engines of all brands that are poorly maintained and more Dodge specifically, 2) on Dakotas and Durangos with the narrow oil pan sumps and smaller pickup heads on the pickup tube than the older ones had 

• Alc said thank you

#10 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,228 Thanks
  • 5,070 posts

Posted September 29, 2013 - 08:23 PM

The more research I've done I think it stems from my previous home I was 15 miles from my work. Probably never even reached full operating temperature. My oil changes ran 3 to 6k with good quality oil and filters.

Probably should of been more aggressive with maintenance. My new pickup tube is an updated style with a larger opening. Should all work out for the best.

I've read a lot about the 4.7 and sludge. I don't think all the bad things I've read can all stem from short drives and all bad oil change timing.

Oh well. Working on stuff is what I do for fun so its just another project.
  • Alc said thank you

#11 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted September 30, 2013 - 06:37 PM

yeah;  I have no 1st hand experience on 4,7s, but have worked on 2.7s in intrepids. Biggest POS motor I have ever had to work on, they have a steel timing chain setup (not "belt") but they ride on plastic guides that like to bust then your valve timing goes screwy because the chains go slack; I have heard that 4.7s have a similar arrangement (again nothing 1st hand) 

that led me to buy a 214K mile (but exceptionally clean, southern truck)  '01 Durango with a  360 ("5.9")  an hour away over a  130K mile '03 Durango a mile from home with a 4.7.  And no, these were not the only 2 I had checked out by far, just the "best appearing 2 for the money asked"

My 01 is clean enough that if it warrants a new motor or trans it would be worth doing.  miles never meant a whole lot to me as much as maintenance and "how" those miles got there... Soccer mom that never leaves town, something that spent its time on the highway, etc...

and I have always been more lenient towards something with mechanical issues (if any) than with a rust bucket.

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#12 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,228 Thanks
  • 5,070 posts

Posted September 30, 2013 - 07:40 PM

I am the exact same way. ANY rust will cause me to run away.

My ram is rusted now. I need another winter out of it.

I am so on the fence about a vehicle. I love my ranger to death. Its perfect for me, but not perfect from the family.

ill let you guys know how it turns out tomorrow.

#13 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,228 Thanks
  • 5,070 posts

Posted October 01, 2013 - 06:25 PM

If anyone is still reading.

Pulled the valve covers tonight, not much in there as far as sludge.

installed the new parts, fresh oil and filter. Perfect oil pressure, and the motor is smoother and quieter than ever!

Job done.

#14 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted October 01, 2013 - 07:13 PM

Glad to hear all is well with the truck once again.

#15 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,445 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted October 01, 2013 - 08:35 PM

Great News !