• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted December 05, 2010 - 10:42 AM

I believe my hard drive is on it's way to dying on me. Had my other computer do the same thing. On startup, it will lock onto a black screen & just sit there. When it does this, you can hear the HD make the same repetitive noise, over & over...won't stop until you shut it down. Usually, but not always, the 2nd attempt will fully load & all works well. Sometimes it will take 3 times to load. On my other computer, that I do decal work on, I bought 2 extra hard drives, then used "Acronis" to make perfect clones of the hard drive before it failed. If something goes wrong now, I simply slide in a copied spare hard drive. Looks like it's time for me to buy another hard drive for this computer too. Man, more money to lay out!!!!!! Not terribly expensive, but Christmas coming, and I have the snowblower from Don to pay for too(VERY happy to spend for this though!! :) ). Always something, but I darn sure don't want this computer crashing on me! For some reason, backup doesn't work right, so I have no backups either!

Edited by olcowhand, December 05, 2010 - 11:19 AM.

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted December 07, 2010 - 05:12 PM

Bought me a new hard drive just a few minutes ago, plus a USB external hard drive case. I'll use my "Acronis" cloning software to make an identical clone of my current hard drive, then I'll be set. The new hard drive is double my current storage (500GB vs 250GB), and double the cache.

#3 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted December 07, 2010 - 05:16 PM

Good idea!

For those who have never experienced a crashed hard drive, make the investment in a good backup! It'll save you a lot of headaches some day.

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted December 07, 2010 - 05:24 PM

Yep, and this cloning software makes it so easy. Just slip the new hard drive in after cloning & everything is there just like on the former hard drive. No reloading anything!

#5 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 07, 2010 - 05:43 PM

Do you back up your entire hard drive on a regular basis? I lost one about 8 years ago (the heads crashed and ruined the operating system part of the disc) I had one of IT guys at work recover all of the data off of it so it was no big deal. I then lost another one about 4 years ago that is a very nice paper weight...with a lot of pictures and information just beyond my reach! I know of a few places that you can get it recovered, but I just don't have the money to spare. I think I may try your way Dan. It sounds much easier. :blush2: Does the cloned hard drive copy the operating system too?

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 07, 2010 - 05:56 PM

The cloning software whatever brand you might use or buy do a pretty good job at cloning the old hard drive. They clone everything, operating system and all.

I plan on building a file server here in the near future and it will have 5 hard drives in it for raid. I want the file server to store all the movies that we copy and also all of the files from the site backups and videos from articles. They are all taking up a lot of room on my personal pc. I have two 500gb hard drives in my personal pc. I did have them in a raid 0 array for speed but needed the extra space so I reformatted and reinstalled the os to run them as two separate hard drives. I would like to have all 2TB drives in the file server. I can put a lot of movies on there LOL.
  • caseguy said thank you

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted December 07, 2010 - 05:59 PM

Yep, OS & everything! Easy to use Acronis too!
  • caseguy said thank you

#8 WQDL753 OFFLINE  

WQDL753

Bolensholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1407
  • 59 Thanks
  • 301 posts

Posted December 08, 2010 - 02:23 AM

The cloning software whatever brand you might use or buy do a pretty good job at cloning the old hard drive. They clone everything, operating system and all.

I plan on building a file server here in the near future and it will have 5 hard drives in it for raid. I want the file server to store all the movies that we copy and also all of the files from the site backups and videos from articles. They are all taking up a lot of room on my personal pc. I have two 500gb hard drives in my personal pc. I did have them in a raid 0 array for speed but needed the extra space so I reformatted and reinstalled the os to run them as two separate hard drives. I would like to have all 2TB drives in the file server. I can put a lot of movies on there LOL.

What!!! You mean you didn't grab a stack of the 2Tb drives newegg had on sale for black friday. :rofl2: :poke:

#9 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 08, 2010 - 05:42 AM

What!!! You mean you didn't grab a stack of the 2Tb drives newegg had on sale for black friday. :rofl2: :poke:

I would have liked to but any extra money right now has to go towards the kid's Christmas presents LOL.

#10 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,865 posts

Posted December 09, 2010 - 11:33 AM

Yes sir, Backup, Backup,Backup
You don't know how much stuff you have till it is gone.
I back up to external hard drives and and keep one off site.

#11 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted December 16, 2010 - 07:34 PM

I'm on my computer I use for decal cutting upstairs. Finally received my USB hard drive case today, and have Acronis cloning the hard drive on my main computer. If all goes well, later this evening I'll have the new cloned drive installed. If it takes very long, I may wait & swap them out tomorrow.

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted December 16, 2010 - 09:33 PM

Freshly cloned new hard drive installed & working fine, double cache & storage. I'm using it now.

#13 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted December 16, 2010 - 09:43 PM

Freshly cloned new hard drive installed & working fine, double cache & storage. I'm using it now.

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

That reminds me, I need to buy an external for back up on my laptop.

#14 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 17, 2010 - 08:08 AM

That's great Dan! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: No lost pics of the Bush Hogs to worry about now! I need to get an external hard drive and do that myself. I figure if I lost a hard drive I'd go right out and buy another, so why not just buy another BEFORE it dies! Be pro-active not re-active.

#15 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 17, 2010 - 08:26 AM

That's good to here Daniel.